• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be Careful Using Self-Checkout At Stores

Onasander

In California you can hold a suspect for up to 20 minutes prior to calling the cops, so that doesn't count as false imprisonment. However, universal rule is the security guard has to see the theft. It's a automatic lawsuit, likely to be successful, if they didn't see the theft happen.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Interesting. I avoided self checkout for a long time because I saw them as a way to cut down on staff, and it seems that was the motivation. A recent news item described how that hasn't worked. Apparently, with the staff needed to oversee the checkouts and help people that are having problems, added to a (genuine) increase in theft, they haven't proved to be any less costly than the old system.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interesting. I avoided self checkout for a long time because I saw them as a way to cut down on staff, and it seems that was the motivation. A recent news item described how that hasn't worked. Apparently, with the staff needed to oversee the checkouts and help people that are having problems, added to a (genuine) increase in theft, they haven't proved to be any less costly than the old system.
I like reducing staff.
It means cost savings, which are passed on to me.
But self-checkout has been glitchy.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I don't mind using it. But at the store near me, they will stand over your shoulder and watch you very carefully. It makes me feel icky.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I have been using self-checkouts for years, never had a problem.

(well one time I dropped a salad and it went everywhere, but other than that one time)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you had an emergency, would you call 911?
That would depend on the emergency.
I'd have to consider whether the cops
would likely make better or even worse.

I dislike the 911 system because it notifies
all agencies. If I want the fire department,
I want to call them, not the cops. I my
experience, cops are worse than useless
when there's a fire.
If someone is having a mental health crisis,
cops are dangerous to the one suffering.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
would likely make things even worse.

when there's a fire.

Why do you ask?
They pop up because they are usually the closest and on patrol. Your skepticism of the police is warranted tho. Way too many instances of poor judgment.

Last edited:

anna.

but mostly it's the same
would likely make things even worse.

when there's a fire.

Why do you ask?

Because there's a spectrum between shining a light on police malfeasance and "**** the pigs." So I'm curious. If you needed help (let's say non-medical) and the emergency was great enough to call for help, would you call 911? Would you ask for their help?

Shaul

Premium Member
I did a self checkout at a store once. There was a full length mirror. I must admit I looked handsome as usual when I checked myself out.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did a self checkout at a store once. There was a full length mirror. I must admit I looked handsome as usual when I checked myself out.

OIP.uRkyYWU9ZeWiebqD4wGCSQAAAA

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Less staff can mean a less clean and orderly store as well as shelves that are not as well faced or stocked.
Check-out staff don't clean & organize the store.
In the one store I frequent that has self-checkout,
it's quite clean & organized.
A store's goal shouldn't be to hire many employees.
It should be to serve its customers. And self-checkout
serves that goal in my experience.

Are you a Luddite, by any chance?