• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banal

King Phenomenon

In most fields of study there's innovation and cutting edge ideas but when it comes to religion there seems to be a lack of interest in growth and change. I find it odd.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
One book on Mediaeval Christianity will disabuse you of this notion.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In most fields of study there's innovation and cutting edge ideas but when it comes to religion there seems to be a lack of interest in growth and change. I find it odd.

Clearly, your experience with religion is quite limited.

King Phenomenon

The Neo/Pagan/Wiccan movement didn't start until the early 60's, same with Satanism (LaVeyan). I am sure there are others that I am not particularly aware of.

Edit: Here is a list of New Religious Movements. List of new religious movements - Wikipedia
Just was lookin at that same page or a similar one. Out of those 314 since the mid-19th century there has been only 8 since 2000. So there really hasn't been much since 2000 I'm gonna look at those eight.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Just was lookin at that same page or a similar one. Out of those 314 since the mid-19th century there has been only 8 since 2000. So there really hasn't been much since 2000 I'm gonna look at those eight.

Why does newness matter ? What should matter is it's virtues and spiritual content.

King Phenomenon

Why does newness matter ? What should matter is it's virtues and spiritual content.
Seven of those eight have had limited recognition. The only one that has grown in the past 20 years has been Santa Muerte due to it being clandestine in the 20th century.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I never came across that in any religion and religious. Everyone I met practice religion as a means of growth and change. I'd assume all world religions do regardless what part of the globe they are on and culture. How'd you come to that conclusion?

King Phenomenon

I never came across that in any religion and religious. Everyone I met practice religion as a means of growth and change. I'd assume all world religions do regardless what part of the globe they are on and culture. How'd you come to that conclusion?
I'm talking about a new movement not personal growth within a certain religion.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I agree. I just find it odd that innovation is dead in religion especially with it's subjective nature.

It's "dead" in the sense that we can't see the growth. But we would see it, if we could see who and what sticks through a 1000yrs from now. New religions don't tend to just take off (Christianity was around for hundreds of years before it became mainstream).

King Phenomenon

It's "dead" in the sense that we can't see the growth. But we would see it, if we could see who and what sticks through a 1000yrs from now. New religions don't tend to just take off (Christianity was around for hundreds of years before it became mainstream).
Modeling an assumption on something 2000 years ago may not be the best bet in today's society regarding the growth of a new religion.