• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'u'llah's Accomplishments

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**PLEASE NOTE THIS THREAD IS IN RELIGIONS Q&A. RESPONSES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO DEBATE**
Aside from creating a following after claiming to be an incarnation/manifestation of God, what were his worldly accomplishments? What is different with the world today after his life than in the days previous to his claim of being God?

Anyone may answer, but I'm mostly interested in responses from Baha'i.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I thought there were about 8 million Bahá'ís. I double checked, and Google says it's true.
So, the impact on the world is very small, compared to Christianity and Islam
But then again, 1 Jesus story had quite a big impact in 2000 years

There are 4 billion Christians and Muslims (50%):
"Islam is the Religion of Peace"
"Love thy neighbor as thyself"

They accomplished a lot, but was it all good??? Still no peace.
Imagine 50% of the people should "Love" and have "Peace"
Christianity and Islam are known for lots of killings.
Bahá'ís are setting a good example for them

IMHO: Spirituality is about personal improvement.
We can't change the world, and probably not even needed, once we change ourselves,

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe that the impact of the Baha'i Revelation is not measured in numbers. I believe the spiritual principles represent the contribution of the Baha'i Faith in a changing evolving world. The biggest influence is that in the Baha'i teachings the concept of the universal in the spiritual evolution of humanity and that universal standards of civilization including an evolving universal language. The following principles have become the standard for humanity today.

https://www.google.com/search?q=12+principles+of+the+baha'i+faith&oq=principles+of+the+Baha'i+Faith&aqs=chrome.2.0l3.14861j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Unity
  • The oneness of God.
  • The oneness of humanity.
  • The oneness of religion.
  • Religion as a school.
  • Equality of women and men.
  • Harmony of religion and science.
  • Universal compulsory education.
  • Universal auxiliary language.
The spiritual law of the elimination of slavery of all kinds..

Bahá'í Faith and slavery - Wikipedia

Bahá’u’lláh formally abolished the practice of slavery among Baha’is in the Kitab-i-Aqdas (ca. 1873). The English translation of the relevant section is as follows:

It is forbidden you to trade in slaves, be they men or women. It is not for him who is himself a servant to buy another of God's servants, and this hath been prohibited in His Holy Tablet. Thus, by His mercy, hath the commandment been recorded by the Pen of justice. Let no man exalt himself above another; all are but bondslaves before the Lord, and all exemplify the truth that there is none other God but Him. He, verily, is the All-Wise, Whose wisdom encompasseth all things.
Bahá’u’lláh, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 45)
[1]
In his letter to Queen Victoria, written to her between 1868 and 1872, Bahá’u’lláh had singled out the action of the British government in using its power to stamp out the world trade in slaves for particular commendation.

We have been informed that thou hast forbidden the trading in slaves, both men and women. This, verily, is what God hath enjoined in this wondrous Revelation. God hath, truly, destined a reward for thee, because of this.
(Bahá’u’lláh, The Proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 30)
[2]
In 1844, when the Báb declared his mission, slavery was still very widespread. When the Báb went on the Hajj pilgrimage in 1844, he was accompanied by Quddús and an Ethiopian slave.[3] The family the Báb was born into possessed several slaves: one was his first tutor, and the subject of a eulogy penned by his young pupil/master in later years, crediting him as having raised him and praises him.[4] The Báb was martyred in 1850, at which time he had not abrogated or changed the laws of Islam that permitted and regulated the practice. Slavery was not finally abolished in Iran until 1929.[note 1][5] For comparison though slavery had been abolished in the British Empire as late as 1833,[note 2] it remained legal in the United States until 1863.[note 3]

The individual ancient religions bound by their cultures of the past lack unifying principles for the future of humanity.

In my search for a belief system the only alternative I have found is form of humanism belief systems.In my search

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Bahá’u’lláh to Baha’is was a Manifestation of God so His Greatest accomplishment was arguably doing just that. He Manifested God and God's Will and Purpose for humanity today.

Bahá’u’lláh sacrificed a life of privilege in both status and wealth to champion the cause of the Bab and to bring a new Revelation from God for this age. In doing so He endured hardships including being banished from HIs homeland for the last 40 years of His life, being exiled on four separate occasions, imprisonment, deprivation and torture. He withstood these afflictions with grace and galvanised a community that would become a worldwide faith. During His 40 year ministry He Revealed various tablets, books and letters that constitute a body of work with an estimated six million words. The total volume is estimated 70 times the size of the Quran and 15 times the size of the Hebrew Bible and New Testament that make up the Christian Bible.

List of writings of Bahá'u'lláh - Wikipedia

So in addition to living an exemplary and moral life and producing a vast body of literature, His purpose could be considered like a Divine Physician or doctor.

The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.

Bahá'í Reference Library - Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, Page 213

So Bahá’u’lláh's addresses the needs of the current age we live in. That is why Baha'is were at the forefront of movements to promote the equality of men and women and racial equality during the twentieth century. Everywhere Baha'is are championing the positive movements and causes that address the needs of humanity. At this time in history the main focus for Baha'is is the establishment of neighbourhood groups that assist the spiritual education of peoples of all ages (especially young people) through study groups that are open to all and community devotional meetings. We're also at the forefront of the interfaith movement.

There's a lot more that could be said but that's enough for now. Why do you ask?

arthra

Baha'i
**PLEASE NOTE THIS THREAD IS IN RELIGIONS Q&A. RESPONSES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO DEBATE**
Aside from creating a following after claiming to be an incarnation/manifestation of God, what were his worldly accomplishments? What is different with the world today after his life than in the days previous to his claim of being God? Anyone may answer, but I'm mostly interested in responses from Baha'i.

Thanks for the question "SalixIncendium"...

A few points I thought I'd suggest in your question. In your question you wrote: "Aside from creating a following after claiming to be an incarnation/manifestation of God..."

Baha'is don't believe that God incarnates Himself, there is no belief in a "physical incarnation" of God.

Secondly you wrote: "What is different with the world today after his life than in the days previous to his claim of being God?"

Baha'u'llah doesn't claim to be God. He was a "Manifestation of God" which means He perfectly reflected the attributes of God but is not God. For Baha'is the essence of God is unknowable to us:

However broad or imaginative our concept of God may be, it will always necessarily be circumscribed by the limitations of the human mind. “That which we imagine, is not the Reality of God; He, the Unknowable, the Unthinkable, is far beyond the highest conception of man.2

An Unknowable God | What Bahá’ís Believe

Further:
Since the purpose of all these divine “mirrors” is one and the same, no distinction should be made between Them. Bahá’u’lláh writes, If thou wilt observe with discriminating eyes, thou wilt behold them all abiding in the same tabernacle, soaring in the same heaven, seated upon the same throne, uttering the same speech, and proclaiming the same Faith.”4

Manifestations of God | What Bahá’ís Believe

There is a lovely site which deals with the life of Baha'u'llah at

The Life of Bahá'u'lláh