• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'is promoting ideas and interests contrary to those of their supreme council

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Balance all that with just this;

Inscription in the Old Bible Written by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in Persian

"THIS book is the Holy Book of God, of celestial Inspiration. It is the Bible of Salvation, the Noble Gospel. It is the mystery of the Kingdom and its light. It is the Divine Bounty, the sign of the guidance of God." ‘Abdu’l-Bahá Abbás.

Also many other passages will attest to Bible.

We have to balance all the wrirings, as many are specific answers to specific questions.

Regards Tony
So are you saying we still need the Bible, even though it has been abrogated by the Revelation of Baha'u'llah?
Do you think the Bible answers questions that have not been answered in the Baha'i Writings?

This quote indicates that once the Qur'an was revealed the Bible was abrogated:

“How could God, when once the Day-star of the beauty of Jesus had disappeared from the sight of His people, and ascended unto the fourth heaven, cause His holy Book, His most great testimony amongst His creatures, to disappear also? What would be left to that people to cling to from the setting of the day-star of Jesus until the rise of the sun of the Muḥammadan Dispensation?” The Kitáb-i-Íqán, p. 89
To say that we still need all the older scriptures makes a sham out of progressive revelation. Why progress if we are going to stay stuck in the past?

Last edited:

siti

If you guys can't even accept a different interpretation of your own beliefs, how are you ever going to accept the beliefs of the altogether different religions that you hope to "unite"? I just don't get it - this part, I just don't get.

I do not consider anything in the Bible to have any real validity.
As such, I feel like it is a waste of time to talk about it or refer to it.

The Bible is confirmed by the Baha'i Revelation as indespensable. Do not be sorry, just try to understand it like we all can choose to do.

@Jim - I'm truly sorry I don't have an answer to your plea...
Does anyone have any helpful ideas about what to do in a situation like this, apart from proselytizing for your anti-religious views advising me to give up my religion?
...but the above exchange between the two TBs is symptomatic of the point I made much earlier in the thread - one Baha'i simply cannot see how the Bible can be useful, another can't see how we can be without it...and both are probably completely convinced that the other is pushing a personal agenda whilst they themselves are in perfect alignment with the divine message. I honestly don't know how such entrenched monochromatic thinking could possibly be expected to advance beyond narrow moralistic platitudes - like "the Baha'i faith prohibits homosexuality".

I am sorry to the participants for pointing this out so acutely - but I honestly believe that the very kind of regurgitation of well-rehearsed statements of faith are the root of the problem @Jim is alluding to in this and other threads - this is a debate forum after all - at the very least a meaningful discussion should be aimed for and a robust defense of the ideas being promoted - but no - all we get is a bald statement of faith backed up - if at all - by nothing more substantial than a string of out of context quotations.

Against that background, whilst I would never advise you (or anyone) to give up your religion, maybe you do need to extend your horizon beyond it to find what you are looking for? It doesn't seem like the followers of Baha'u'llah, by and large, are quite ready for the complexities of a 21st century globally acceptable moral outlook just yet. Maybe it will come, but if you are determined to stick with your faith (warts and all) I reckon you'll need patience in abundance. I ran out of that with my faith and ended up with none (i.e. no faith). I'm OK with that but I would neither recommend nor advise against it - its up to each one to find their peace within or without their faith.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So are you saying we still need the Bible, even though it has been abrogated by the Revelation of Baha'u'llah?
Do you think the Bible answers questions that have not been answered in the Baha'i Writings?

This quote indicates that once the Qur'an was revealed the Bible was abrogated:

“How could God, when once the Day-star of the beauty of Jesus had disappeared from the sight of His people, and ascended unto the fourth heaven, cause His holy Book, His most great testimony amongst His creatures, to disappear also? What would be left to that people to cling to from the setting of the day-star of Jesus until the rise of the sun of the Muḥammadan Dispensation?” The Kitáb-i-Íqán, p. 89
To say that we still need all the older scriptures makes a sham out of progressive revelation. Why progress if we are going to stay stuck in the past?

Do we ever let go of the foundation of our learning, or does it set us for life? Do we not also use it to train the new generation?

"...Know assuredly that just as thou firmly believest that the Word of God, exalted be His glory, endureth for ever, thou must, likewise, believe with undoubting faith that its meaning can never be exhausted. They who are its appointed interpreters, they whose hearts are the repositories of its secrets, are, however, the only ones who can comprehend its manifold wisdom.."

The Word is timeless, this is where the balance is required. "Hold fast unto what is good!

1 Thessalonians 5:21 "But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good."

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do we ever let go of the foundation of our learning, or does it set us for life? Do we not also use it to train the new generation?

"...Know assuredly that just as thou firmly believest that the Word of God, exalted be His glory, endureth for ever, thou must, likewise, believe with undoubting faith that its meaning can never be exhausted. They who are its appointed interpreters, they whose hearts are the repositories of its secrets, are, however, the only ones who can comprehend its manifold wisdom.."

The Word is timeless, this is where the balance is required. "Hold fast unto what is good!

1 Thessalonians 5:21 "But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good."
I was not any religion before I was a Bahai. I never read one page of the Bible. Many Baha'is were never Christians before they were Baha'is. Some were Hindus, some were Buddhists, some were Zoroastrians, some were Muslims, some were Atheists, some were Agnostics...

I do not understand how we would ever need the Bible to train Baha'is. The Bahai Faith is a new religion that stands on its own merit.

Christianity is not my foundation. It is not not necessary to have another religion as a foundation before becoming a Baha'i, but if another religion is part of someone's foundation they can keep it if they want to.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
one Baha'i simply cannot see how the Bible can be useful, another can't see how we can be without it

Hello Siti - That was not my motive for posting at all ;)

If you read back through my posts, they were offering that we need to maintain a balance and not offer that a passage has only one meaning.

Personally I see the merits of both sides of that discussion.

Regards Tony

InvestigateTruth

Hello Siti - That was not my motive for posting at all ;)

If you read back through my posts, they were offering that we need to maintain a balance and not offer that a passage has only one meaning.

Personally I see the merits of both sides of that discussion.

Regards Tony
Yes, I agree. @siti we do not need to follow any of the social laws, worshipping costumes or ways of life taught in any of the previous Revelations, being Quran, Bible or other past Holy Books. Those Laws are not useful for our age, though they were revealed by God before. But it is useful to have knowledge of history of past revelations, because there is lesson to learn from the stories of the past. It is also beneficial to know the prophecies described in Bible, Quran and other Holy Books, as we can learn how those prophecies fulfilled through the Revelation of the Bab and Bahaullah, which confirms our beliefs, and helps recognizing the Truth of Bahai Faith.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I do not think that Baha'u'llah did any of that on purpose. If one really studies the Writings, there is no ambiguity. It is not really that complicated. Baha'u'llah was a Manifestation of God, a Messenger and a Servant of God. He spoke from various stations. When He spoke as God He was the Voice of God. When He spoke as a Servant of God, he humbled Himself before God was was totally self-effacing.

I do not need the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha or Shoghi Effendi in order to know who Baha'u'llah claimed to be. It is all in Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh.
"Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh" seems to be a compilation from his writings. Please quote from a core book of Bahaullah, now I have been told that even Kitab-i-Aqdas* is a compilation, the compilation does not give the context to support one's point of view. So, please quote from Kitáb-i-Íqán.
*I believe Kitab-i-Aqdas has become redundant as the reason given for its writing becomes invalid 125 years after him.

Regards

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I was not any religion before I was a Bahai. I never read one page of the Bible. Many Baha'is were never Christians before they were Baha'is. Some were Hindus, some were Buddhists, some were Zoroastrians, some were Muslims, some were Atheists, some were Agnostics...

I do not understand how we would ever need the Bible to train Baha'is. The Bahai Faith is a new religion that stands on its own merit.

Christianity is not my foundation. It is not not necessary to have another religion as a foundation before becoming a Baha'i, but if another religion is part of someone's foundation they can keep it if they want to.

Sorry to come in on this conversation part the way through. I really appreciate your presence here on RF and recognise your background and journey in coming to the faith was very different to mine. You came from a more atheistic/agnostic background which you identify. While I have had those beliefs at times I identify more with my Christian heritage.

I tend to tell Christians I believe in the same God, Jesus and Bible as they do. I don't see any contradiction between the Bible and the Baha'i writings.

Abdu'l-Baha certainly encouraged study of the Bible.

The Universal House of Justice has asked us to recommend your continued study of "Some Answered Questions" since this book contains the interpretations given by 'Abdu'l-Bahá on the meaning of some of the passages you mention from the Book of Daniel as well as other subjects found in the Old and New Testaments. You will note that in addition to giving His explanations, 'Abdu'l-Bahá encourages personal initiative in unravelling divine mysteries. For example, at the end of Chapter XX on "The Necessity of Baptism" He says: "This subject needs deep thought. Then the cause of these changes will be evident and apparent." And at the end of Chapter XXX on "Adam and Eve", after setting forth His own interpretation of the subject, He goes on to say: "This is one of the meanings of the Biblical story of Adam. Reflect until you discover the others."
(17 January 1978 to an individual believer)

The Bible

Jim

Nets of Wonder

:hugehug:

siti

Nah! It was more something like this I had in mind...

9076090.gif

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh" seems to be a compilation from his writings. Please quote from a core book of Bahaullah, now I have been told that even Kitab-i-Aqdas* is a compilation, the compilation does not give the context to support one's point of view. So, please quote from Kitáb-i-Íqán.
What do you want me to quote?
*I believe Kitab-i-Aqdas has become redundant as the reason given for its writing becomes invalid 125 years after him.
I do not know why you think that. :confused:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry to come in on this conversation part the way through. I really appreciate your presence here on RF and recognise your background and journey in coming to the faith was very different to mine. You came from a more atheistic/agnostic background which you identify. While I have had those beliefs at times I identify more with my Christian heritage.

I tend to tell Christians I believe in the same God, Jesus and Bible as they do. I don't see any contradiction between the Bible and the Baha'i writings.

Abdu'l-Baha certainly encouraged study of the Bible.

The Universal House of Justice has asked us to recommend your continued study of "Some Answered Questions" since this book contains the interpretations given by 'Abdu'l-Bahá on the meaning of some of the passages you mention from the Book of Daniel as well as other subjects found in the Old and New Testaments. You will note that in addition to giving His explanations, 'Abdu'l-Bahá encourages personal initiative in unravelling divine mysteries. For example, at the end of Chapter XX on "The Necessity of Baptism" He says: "This subject needs deep thought. Then the cause of these changes will be evident and apparent." And at the end of Chapter XXX on "Adam and Eve", after setting forth His own interpretation of the subject, He goes on to say: "This is one of the meanings of the Biblical story of Adam. Reflect until you discover the others."
(17 January 1978 to an individual believer)

The Bible
Thanks for understanding my background. I will be eternally grateful that I was not raised as a Christian. I had a difficult childhood but at least my parents did me one big favor. I doubt I would have ever become a Baha’i if I had been a Christian. Sure, a handful of Christians have become Baha’is but not many compared to how many remained Christians. In the Western world, Christianity is the greatest veil to the Baha’i Faith, for obvious reasons. In the United States, 60% of the population is still waiting for the same Jesus to return from the sky on a cloud. There is no way they can ever recognized Baha’u’llah with a belief like that.

Thanks for the letter. I have not even read all of the Baha’i Writings or any of the Qur’an and I feel these have precedence over the Bible. I have a lot of issues with the Bible since I do not believe it is the Word of God. It is the words of men who were purportedly inspired by the Holy Spirit. I do not believe it could possibly be the Word of God because that is logically impossible. Did Moses write any of the Old Testament Himself? Do we have His original scriptures? How could the authors of the New Testament remember what Jesus said decades later? On top of that we know there are transcription errors and translation errors and the translation errors have been compounded over time... If their words are not their exact words, how close are they? How can we ever know? As Baha’is we believe that the bodily resurrection never took place but that is in the NT. So how many more “stories” are there in the Bible that never happened and what do they actually mean?

But besides that I think it is time to leave the Bible behind and move on to the new age. Otherwise what is the point of progressive revelation? Sure, Abdu’l-Baha addressed the Christian subjects and the prophecies but that is so we can know how to talk to Christians. I do not talk to Christians much anymore. What’s the point? They are mired in their beliefs and I would never know the Bible well enough to carry on any kind of dialogue. I feel it is dishonest to say we believe in the same Jesus that Christians do because most Christians will never accept that. Paul transformed Christianity from the Faith of Jesus to Faith in Jesus. Jesus is just the Redeemer and His teachings are all but forgotten. I might post something from a book I am reading about Paul and how he changed the course of Christianity.

The Bible and Christianity have hurt more people than you can ever imagine. I know because I have been posting to atheists and agnostics for six years 24/7. Every single one of them was a former Christian and that is why they can no longer believe in God. What does that tell you? Are you going to blame them or the Bible? It is hard to blame a book, it is just a book. I just think it is time that humanity moved on. As long as so many people are “attached” to the Bible, thinking it is the only Word of God, the Baha’i Faith will remain in the background. I do not know why Baha’is cannot see that this is a problem. Of course, the same is true of the Qur’an, but at least it is authentic, unlike the Bible, and at least it is very close to the Revelation of Baha’u’llah.

From Letters Written on Behalf of the Guardian:

...The Bible is not wholly authentic, and in this respect is not to be compared with the Qur'an, and should be wholly subordinated to the authentic writings of Bahá'u'lláh.
(28 July 1936 to a National Spiritual Assembly)

...we cannot be sure how much or how little of the four Gospels are accurate and include the words of Christ and His undiluted teachings, all we can be sure of, as Bahá'ís, is that what has been quoted by Bahá'u'lláh and the Master must be absolutely authentic. As many times passages in the Gospel of St. John are quoted we may assume that it is his Gospel and much of it accurate.
(23 January 1944 to an individual believer)

When 'Abdu'l-Bahá states we believe what is in the Bible, He means in substance. Not that we believe every word of it to be taken literally or that every word is the authentic saying of the Prophet.
(11 February 1944 to an individual believer)

We cannot be sure of the authenticity of any of the phrases in the Old or the New Testament. What we can be sure of is when such references or words are cited or quoted in either the Quran or the Bahá'í writings.
(4 July 1947 to an individual believer)

Except for what has been explained by Bahá'u'lláh and 'Abdu'l-Bahá, we have no way of knowing what various symbolic allusions in the Bible mean.
(31 January 1955 to an individual believer)

From letters written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice:

The interpretation of biblical prophecies has long been the subject of controversy and speculation among religious scholars. As Bahá'ís, we know that we must turn to the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi for authoritative guidance in these matters. When a subject has not been mentioned or explained in the Sacred Writings, we are free to consult other books and to consider the opinions of scholars if we wish to do so.

In studying the Bible Bahá'ís must bear two principles in mind. The first is that many passages in Sacred Scriptures are intended to be taken metaphorically, not literally, and some of the paradoxes and apparent contradictions which appear are intended to indicate this. The second is the fact that the text of the early Scriptures, such as the Bible, is not wholly authentic.
(28 May 1984 to an individual believer)

...The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words.
(9 August 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bible: Extracts on the Old and New Testaments

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for understanding my background. I will be eternally grateful that I was not raised as a Christian. I had a difficult childhood but at least my parents did me one big favor. I doubt I would have ever become a Baha’i if I had been a Christian. Sure, a handful of Christians have become Baha’is but not many compared to how many remained Christians. In the Western world, Christianity is the greatest veil to the Baha’i Faith, for obvious reasons. In the United States, 60% of the population is still waiting for the same Jesus to return from the sky on a cloud. There is no way they can ever recognized Baha’u’llah with a belief like that.

I believe we should be grateful to God for being alive, and born as a human being with the capacity to know God, regardless of our background. I think we should be eternally thankful to our parents and forgive them regardless of their failings. There are exceptions of course.

The Revelation of Christ is amazing really. Two thousand years and we wouldn't be having this conversation if it weren't for Him. The revelation of Christ doesn't make people blind. It is the approach each of us takes that makes us blind. There are all sorts of ways in believing in Christ as there are a myriad ways to reject Him and His Messengers and have no faith at all.

I do recall hearing this is the day of God's mercy. God understands if we have become so messed up that we have lost our way and can no longer recognise Him. What we can do as Baha'is is have a clear vision of the purpose of God's revelation whether it is through Baha'u'llah, Muhammad, Christ, Buddha, Krishna or some other Messenger we have never heard of before. Such is the potency of His Revelation we can cut through the tangle of contradictions and inconsistencies within what we call religion and see the One of God and One Common Faith. We do need to acquire a deep understanding of the Faiths of others, not just our own. RF is the perfect opportunity for just that.

Thanks for the letter. I have not even read all of the Baha’i Writings or any of the Qur’an and I feel these have precedence over the Bible. I have a lot of issues with the Bible since I do not believe it is the Word of God. It is the words of men who were purportedly inspired by the Holy Spirit. I do not believe it could possibly be the Word of God because that is logically impossible. Did Moses write any of the Old Testament Himself? Do we have His original scriptures? How could the authors of the New Testament remember what Jesus said decades later? On top of that we know there are transcription errors and translation errors and the translation errors have been compounded over time... If their words are not their exact words, how close are they? How can we ever know? As Baha’is we believe that the bodily resurrection never took place but that is in the NT. So how many more “stories” are there in the Bible that never happened and what do they actually mean?

Consider these words of Abdu'l-Baha in regards Bible study:

I have been informed that the purpose of your class meeting is to study the significances and mysteries of the Holy Scriptures and understand the meaning of the divine Testaments. It is a cause of great happiness to me that you are turning unto the Kingdom of God, that you desire to approach the presence of God and to become informed of the realities and precepts of God. It is my hope that you may put forth your most earnest endeavor to accomplish this end, that you may investigate and study the Holy Scriptures word by word so that you may attain knowledge of the mysteries hidden therein. Be not satisfied with words, but seek to understand the spiritual meanings hidden in the heart of the words.

Bahá'í Reference Library - The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Pages 458-460

"Thou hast written that thou lovest the Bible. Undoubtedly, the friends and the maid-servants of the Merciful should know the value of the Bible, for they are the ones who have discovered its real significances and have become cognizant of the hidden mystery of the Holy Book."
(Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Bahá Abbás, p. 218)

Bible to be studied - Bahai9

In this address Abdu'l-Baha talks about the importance of meditation and goes on to encourage us to understand all the mysteries and allegories of the Bible:

Therefore let us keep this faculty rightly directed—turning it to the heavenly Sun and not to earthly objects—so that we may discover the secrets of the Kingdom, and comprehend the allegories of the Bible and the mysteries of the spirit.

Bahá'í Reference Library - Paris Talks, Pages 173-176

But besides that I think it is time to leave the Bible behind and move on to the new age. Otherwise what is the point of progressive revelation? Sure, Abdu’l-Baha addressed the Christian subjects and the prophecies but that is so we can know how to talk to Christians. I do not talk to Christians much anymore. What’s the point? They are mired in their beliefs and I would never know the Bible well enough to carry on any kind of dialogue. I feel it is dishonest to say we believe in the same Jesus that Christians do because most Christians will never accept that. Paul transformed Christianity from the Faith of Jesus to Faith in Jesus. Jesus is just the Redeemer and His teachings are all but forgotten. I might post something from a book I am reading about Paul and how he changed the course of Christianity.

I believe Paul was an apostle of Christ guided aright by God's unerring spirit. The idea that Paul corrupted the Gospel of Christ is not supported by the Baha'i writings.

...in considering the relationship between st. Peter and st. Paul, one needs to bear in mind all of these various factors.
high praise in accorded to them both in the Bahá’í Writings. A particularly pertinent statement by `Abdu’l-Bahá appears on page 223 of the new publication Selections from the Writings of `Abdu’l-Bahá. One's conduct must be like the conduct of Paul, and one's faith similar to that of Peter

(25 February 1980 written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to an individual)

Apostle Paul, a "False Teacher"?

Besides that, Peter who Jesus appointed as His successor confirmed the truth of Paul's teachings.

2 Peter 3:13-18

The primacy of Peter is affirmed by the Guardian.

of st. Peter, the beloved guardian has written:
...let it be stated without any hesitation or equivocation that... the primacy of Peter, the Prince of the apostles, is upheld and defended.

(The Promised Day is Come p. 109)

...Peter is recognized as one whom God has caused “the mysteries of wisdom and of utterance to flow out of his mouth.” (The Promised Day is Come
p. 110)

The Bible and Christianity have hurt more people than you can ever imagine. I know because I have been posting to atheists and agnostics for six years 24/7. Every single one of them was a former Christian and that is why they can no longer believe in God. What does that tell you? Are you going to blame them or the Bible? It is hard to blame a book, it is just a book. I just think it is time that humanity moved on. As long as so many people are “attached” to the Bible, thinking it is the only Word of God, the Baha’i Faith will remain in the background. I do not know why Baha’is cannot see that this is a problem. Of course, the same is true of the Qur’an, but at least it is authentic, unlike the Bible, and at least it is very close to the Revelation of Baha’u’llah.

Baha'u'llah's Words not mine about the Message of Jesus:

We have also heard a number of the foolish of the earth assert that the genuine text of the heavenly Gospel doth not exist amongst the Christians, that it hath ascended unto heaven. How grievously they have erred! How oblivious of the fact that such a statement imputeth the gravest injustice and tyranny to a gracious and living Providence! How could God, when once the daystar of the beauty of Jesus had disappeared from the sight of His people, and ascended unto the fourth heaven, cause His holy Book, His most great testimony amongst His creatures, to disappear also? What would be left to that people to cling to from the setting of the daystar of Jesus until the rise of the sun of the Muhammadan Dispensation?

Personally I belief we need to be able to defend all the Manifestations of God, not just the ones we like. That includes understanding their revelation.

There are many excellent Baha'i books that can help us learn about the Bible. I would recommend a trilogy by Michael Sours, the first one titled:

Preparing for a Baha'i and Christian Dialogue: Understanding Biblical Evidence Vol. 1 by Michael Sours (1990, Paperback) | eBay

Of course once you have learnt Christianity, Islam comes next lol.:D

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member

From Letters Written on Behalf of the Guardian:

...The Bible is not wholly authentic, and in this respect is not to be compared with the Qur'an, and should be wholly subordinated to the authentic writings of Bahá'u'lláh.
(28 July 1936 to a National Spiritual Assembly)

...we cannot be sure how much or how little of the four Gospels are accurate and include the words of Christ and His undiluted teachings, all we can be sure of, as Bahá'ís, is that what has been quoted by Bahá'u'lláh and the Master must be absolutely authentic. As many times passages in the Gospel of St. John are quoted we may assume that it is his Gospel and much of it accurate.
(23 January 1944 to an individual believer)

When 'Abdu'l-Bahá states we believe what is in the Bible, He means in substance. Not that we believe every word of it to be taken literally or that every word is the authentic saying of the Prophet.
(11 February 1944 to an individual believer)

We cannot be sure of the authenticity of any of the phrases in the Old or the New Testament. What we can be sure of is when such references or words are cited or quoted in either the Quran or the Bahá'í writings.
(4 July 1947 to an individual believer)

Except for what has been explained by Bahá'u'lláh and 'Abdu'l-Bahá, we have no way of knowing what various symbolic allusions in the Bible mean.
(31 January 1955 to an individual believer)

From letters written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice:

The interpretation of biblical prophecies has long been the subject of controversy and speculation among religious scholars. As Bahá'ís, we know that we must turn to the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi for authoritative guidance in these matters. When a subject has not been mentioned or explained in the Sacred Writings, we are free to consult other books and to consider the opinions of scholars if we wish to do so.

In studying the Bible Bahá'ís must bear two principles in mind. The first is that many passages in Sacred Scriptures are intended to be taken metaphorically, not literally, and some of the paradoxes and apparent contradictions which appear are intended to indicate this. The second is the fact that the text of the early Scriptures, such as the Bible, is not wholly authentic.
(28 May 1984 to an individual believer)

...The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words.
(9 August 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bible: Extracts on the Old and New Testaments
But you said you haven't read any of the Quran.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@ adrian009
I am not so sure about being grateful to God for being alive, as I did not ask to be born but I guess you could say it had to be the will of God or it would not have happened. I have long since forgiven my parents, mostly it was my mother I had to forgive, but I am not so sure about God. I do not understand all the suffering God allows, particularly suffering of animals who are innocent, and I do not think I will ever reconcile this in this life. I do not look forward to the afterlife , hoping it will be any better than this life and eternity is a long time to exist if it is no better. Hopefully I will make some spiritual progress before I cross over to the other side and I will have a better attitude.

Yes, I agree the Revelation of Christ is amazing. No, we would not be having this conversation if it weren't for Him, but He would not exist if it were not for those who prepared the way for Him. Just remember what Baha’u’llah warned about elevating any of the Manifestations of God over any other. Of course it is the approach that makes people blind, but because most Christians take the approach that Jesus is the Only Way so that makes them blind to any other Manifestation of God before or after Jesus.

I still do not think it is necessary to acquire a deep understanding of the religions of the past. Hopefully we can agree to disagree about this. :) That is something a Baha’i can do if they want to but not everyone wants to or has the time. Why should Baha’is be the only ones who understand all religions whereas all the others only understand their own religion? I still have a deficit of knowledge of the Baha’i Faith and given the world situation that is a much higher priority to learn. The Revelation of Baha’u’llah has abrogated unconditionally all the Dispensations gone before it. History is behind us, the old world order is crumbling, and the New World Order is rising in its stead.

“Beseech ye the one true God to grant that all men may be graciously assisted to fulfil that which is acceptable in Our sight. Soon will the present-day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead. Verily, thy Lord speaketh the truth, and is the Knower of things unseen.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 6-7

Thanks for the quotes about the importance of studying the Bible, but the context was people who wanted to study the Bible, and he was addressing people who are interested in the Bible. Of course Abdu’l-Baha is not going to discourage people who are interested in studying the Bible, but I never considered knowing the Bible a requirement for being a Baha’i. Don’t we have enough requirements already?

According to Shoghi Effendi, here is the Baha’i position on Christianity and the requirement for Baha’is regarding Christianity and Islam, Jesus and Muhammad. I have no problem with any of this as it is reasonable.

“As to the position of Christianity, let it be stated without any hesitation or equivocation that its divine origin is unconditionally acknowledged, that the Sonship and Divinity of Jesus Christ are fearlessly asserted, that the divine inspiration of the Gospel is fully recognized, that the reality of the mystery of the Immaculacy of the Virgin Mary is confessed, and the primacy of Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, is upheld and defended. The Founder of the Christian Faith is designated by Bahá’u’lláh as the “Spirit of God,” is proclaimed as the One Who “appeared out of the breath of the Holy Ghost,” and is even extolled as the “Essence of the Spirit.” His mother is described as “that veiled and immortal, that most beauteous, countenance,” and the station of her Son eulogized as a “station which hath been exalted above the imaginings of all that dwell on earth,” whilst Peter is recognized as one whom God has caused “the mysteries of wisdom and of utterance to flow out of his mouth.” ..........

Indeed, the essential prerequisites of admittance into the Bahá’í fold of Jews, Zoroastrians, Hindus, Buddhists, and the followers of other ancient faiths, as well as of agnostics and even atheists, is the wholehearted and unqualified acceptance by them all of the divine origin of both Islám and Christianity, of the Prophetic functions of both Muhammad and Jesus Christ, of the legitimacy of the institution of the Imamate, and of the primacy of St. Peter, the Prince of the Apostles. Such are the central, the solid, the incontrovertible principles that constitute the bedrock of Bahá’í belief, which the Faith of Bahá’u’lláh is proud to acknowledge, which its teachers proclaim, which its apologists defend, which its literature disseminates, which its summer schools expound, and which the rank and file of its followers attest by both word and deed.”
The Promised Day is Come, pp. 109-110

Note that the quote says “unqualified acceptance by them all of the divine origin of both Islám and Christianity, of the Prophetic functions of both Muhammad and Jesus Christ. But people hardly ever talk about Muhammad, and if they do it is derogatory. I give you a lot of credit for starting the threads about Muhammad and Islam but it sure did not seem like either one is accepted by many people. Was the mission of Muhammad so much less important than the mission of Jesus?

I have always wondered about that quote from Shoghi Effendi. What about the divine origin of Judaism? Would there even be a Christianity if the Prophets in the OT had not come and prepared the way for Jesus and His mission?

I guess I am just tired of Christianity taking center stage. I understand that is the way it is in the Western world but as Baha’is we are not “Westerners;” we are world citizens.

Please note that 22% of the world population are Muslims and 33% are Christians, but by the year 2060 there will be more Muslims than Christians, and that trend will continue into the future. Don’t you think it is more important for Baha’is to understand Islam and the Qur’an? I for one am a lot more interested in the Qur’an than the Bible. Then again, I have always been a bit if a rebel.

When I became a Baha’i, I was under the impression that the Baha’i Faith was a new religion that stands alone and on its own merit. Sure, there was history leading up to the Revelation of Baha’u’llah, but the Qur’an is the most recent history, so why isn’t Abdu’l-Baha telling us to study the Qur’an? I admit it, I have a feeling of antagonism towards the Bible and Christianity because of all the harm they have done to so many people and because of the interactions I have had with Christians over the years.

Do we have a new Revelation from God or not? If we do, I do not understand why we have to live in the past. But I guess some people have free time so they have time to read history. I don’t have that luxury. I do not even have time to read the Baha’i Writings. Then again, all people have very different life circumstances.

Do you have any quotes from Baha’u’llah that say we should study the Bible? I do have a problem with considering what Abdu’l-Baha and Shoghi or the UHJ say as equivalent to Baha’u’llah, because they are not infallible. Moreover, these are suggestions, not commandments.

Thanks for the quotes, but I am very familiar with all of those. However, I am not going along with the idea that Paul did not corrupt the Gospel of Christ just because it says that in the “authoritative” Baha’i Writings or because the UHJ said it. I have a mind and I plan to use it, not just follow blindly. All one has to do is read what George Townshend wrote to know that the Church completely changed the gospel message, and it was because of Paul. They would not have been able to do what they did without what Paul wrote because they would not have a leg to stand on. This is confirmed by another author I am reading, Udo Schaefer, and he cites a lot of references. I plan to post a new thread on that as soon as I have time to type it up.

Who am I to argue with you? Obviously you know the Bible and I don’t. The HUGE problem is that the Bible can be interpreted to mean whatever you want it to mean, which means that there is no way anyone can ever really know what it means. However, I am not a blundering idiot. I can see what happened to Christianity and some of it happened because of Paul. Anyone who looks at this objectively can see it. I have learned a lot from atheists who were formerly Christians who have no dog in this fight.

Let me ask you a few simple questions. Did Jesus say He rose bodily from the grave or did someone else write that? Did Jesus say He ascended into the sky bodily and will return as He ascended or did someone else write that? That is in Acts 1:10-11, courtesy of Paul, and I know it by heart because I have discussed it with Christians for years, over and over again. Those two verses have led Christians astray for thousands of years and made it absolutely impossible for them to EVER recognize Baha’u’llah as the return of Christ. Did Jesus ever say that we had original sin and that He sacrificed Himself so we could be saved from original sin? Did Jesus ever say that He (the same Jesus) would return to earth and rule as a King? Did Jesus ever say that bodies would rise from graves when Jesus returns? Much of this comes from the literal interpretation of Adam and Eve and that was put together with what Paul wrote in Cor. and Thess. These false doctrines could not have been fabricated just by using the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

I know that quote from the Kitab-i-Iqan by heart. Note that it says -- until the rise of the sun of the Muhammadan Dispensation -- which means that Christians should have recognized Muhammad rather than clinging to the Bible.

I know your personal take is that you like to know about all the religions, and that is fine if that interests you and you have the time. I am sure you already know what there is to know about the Baha’i Faith, but I only started serious learning about it six years ago. I consider it better use of my time to learn as I can about the Baha’i Faith. As I told you before, I do not have a burning interest in religion, I never have, but I do believe that Baha’u’llah is the Manifestation of God for this age and that this is the Day of God, so that is not something I am going to brush aside.

I know enough about Christianity to be able to talk to Christians about it and I learn more every time I talk to new people. I know enough to talk to Christians and explain what the Baha’i Faith is and how Baha’u’llah fulfilled the Bible prophecies. I do not need to know their scriptures in order to teach the Faith.

I am not going to learn Christianity or the Bible in depth. That is much too big of a feat for me to accomplish at this stage of my life. I have so many problems in my life, so many real world things that I have to deal with day in day out, and I feel the time I do have is better spent posting on the forums. Besides that, it would not matter how much I know about the Bible or Christianity because I do not want to debate the Bible or Christianity with Christians. I have no interest in convincing Christians of anything. Christians who are true seekers are the only ones who will ever become Baha’is. The rest of them will cling to their traditions until the day they die. That is their choice since we all have free will.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But you said you haven't read any of the Quran.
I do not need to have read the Qur’an in order to know that it is more authentic than the Bible. Just by reading what Baha’u’llah has quoted from the Qur’an I can figure out it is close to the Revelation of Baha’u’llah.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Some Baha'is think that it's wrong for any Baha'i to promote any ideas or interests contrary to the ideas and interests of their supreme council, the Universal House of Justice. I'm not one of them. I don't think it's wrong, or contrary to Baha'i scriptures, to promote ideas and interests contrary to those of the House of Justice. For example, I don't think it's wrong for Baha'is who disagree with the House of Justice about homosexuality or gay marriage, about excluding women from its membership, about its role and authority, about Baha'i scholarship, about the infallibility of Baha'i scriptures, or even about the claims of Baha'u'llah, to promote their ideas about that, online or offline. Besides, it looks to me like some of the ones who think it's wrong, do it themselves in Internet discussions.

Of course, I might be wrong about all that.

ETA:

I think that it's important for the success of the Baha'i Faith in its purposes, for Baha'is who disagree with the House of Justice to feel free, and to be free, to promote their ideas among Baha'is, online and offline.

Of course, I might be wrong about that too.
Universal House of Justice!! Dear Lord.:eek: What's with the Abrahamics and their need to control free thought, free action and free conscience?:(