• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i support of Islam

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Greetings Baha'i RF members.

Almost since I first encountered a Baha'i follower on RF (and later in real life) I have always been puzzled by how eager Baha'i followers are to cast Islam in a positive light. I guess what puzzles me is that Baha'i's have arguably suffered more harm at the hands of Muslims than any other religion and though I could be misunderstanding, it's almost as if Baha'i's exhibit a form of Stockholm syndrome.

To your credit, I DO understand why the founders of your religion HAD to be extremely careful of what they said about Islam. That much really is a no-brainier. Had they not been effusive in their praise we would likely have never heard of either Baha'ullah or the Bab. Not that that effusive praise spared them from unrelenting persecution and ultimately death at the hands of their tormentors in the case of the Bab and the "house arrest" of Baha'ullah himself.

So, I suppose I am puzzled by "Why support something, in any way, that has resulted in so much direct persecution of your faith?"

Note: This commentary/question is within the Baha'i DIR and those who are not Baha'i followers are limited to asking respectful questions.

Hopefully my questions are not considered insulting.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you for the question and with the question, there is of course many many answers that could be given.

Baha'u'llah has told us to look for the Light in all things.

Muhammad gave a Message from God that was the last Message in the age of Prophecy, the entire age of prophecy was given to prepared us for this day, "The day of God".

All the Messengers likewise gave their Message in a progression of understanding to prepare us for this day.

Baha'u'llah has told us all those Messages are contained within the Message given for this day and it is our One God that has sent all the Messengers.

It is then not possible to have anything but Love and Faith in all Gods Messengers.

The result is we look for the Light of God in in all Messages and all people that follow those Messages. In doing this we look for what comes from God and not from Man.

Regards Tony

InvestigateTruth

Greetings Baha'i RF members.

Almost since I first encountered a Baha'i follower on RF (and later in real life) I have always been puzzled by how eager Baha'i followers are to cast Islam in a positive light. I guess what puzzles me is that Baha'i's have arguably suffered more harm at the hands of Muslims than any other religion and though I could be misunderstanding, it's almost as if Baha'i's exhibit a form of Stockholm syndrome.

To your credit, I DO understand why the founders of your religion HAD to be extremely careful of what they said about Islam. That much really is a no-brainier. Had they not been effusive in their praise we would likely have never heard of either Baha'ullah or the Bab. Not that that effusive praise spared them from unrelenting persecution and ultimately death at the hands of their tormentors in the case of the Bab and the "house arrest" of Baha'ullah himself.

So, I suppose I am puzzled by "Why support something, in any way, that has resulted in so much direct persecution of your faith?"

Note: This commentary/question is within the Baha'i DIR and those who are not Baha'i followers are limited to asking respectful questions.

Hopefully my questions are not considered insulting.
Really good question.

As you probably already know, Bahais believe that Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc had been all revealed from the same divine source and by the will of One and the same God.
These religions, each had been revealed for a certain period of time, and to a certain people.
Now, it is a new age, and Bahais believe a new Faith is revealed for our time.
Many times, when Bahais engage in discussions, they also need to point out that they accept the divine origin of previous revelations, such as Islam. The intention is not really to support, but to express our belief, which may appear as support of Islam.

arthra

Baha'i
I have always been puzzled by how eager Baha'i followers are to cast Islam in a positive light.

Thanks for your question Ymir!

There is no "Stockholm Syndrome" here.

Baha'is accept Prophet Muhammad as a Manifestation of God and the Qur'an as an authentic repository of the Word of God.

At one time, Thou didst raise Him up, O my God, and didst attire Him with the ornament of the name of Him Who conversed with Thee (Moses), and didst through Him uncover all that Thy will had decreed and Thine irrevocable purpose ordained. At another time, Thou didst adorn Him with the name of Him Who was Thy Spirit (Jesus), and didst send Him down out of the heaven of Thy will, for the edification of Thy people, infusing thereby the spirit of life into the hearts of the sincere among Thy servants and the faithful among Thy creatures. Again, Thou didst reveal Him, decked forth by the name of Him Who was Thy Friend (Muhammad), and caused Him to shine brightly above the horizon of Hijaz, as a token of Thy power and an evidence of Thy might. Through Him Thou didst send unto Thy servants what enabled them to scale the heights of Thy unity, and to yearn over the wonders of Thy manifold knowledge and wisdom.

~ Baha'u'llah, Prayers and Meditations by Baha'u'llah, p. 49-51)

Many years ago the Guardian of the Baha'i Faith Shoghi Effendi expressed the following:

Importance of Studying and Teaching the Qur'án

“Shoghi Effendi wishes me also to express his deepfelt appreciation of your
intention to study the Qur’án. The knowledge of this revealed holy Book is, indeed, indispensable to every Bahá’í who wishes to adequately understand the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh. And in view of that the Guardian has been invariably encouraging the friends to make as thorough a study of this Book as possible, particularly in their summer
schools.”

(On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, Pearls of Wisdom, 88-89, underlining added)

We also can recite Qur'an and the Bible as Holy Scriptures in our Feasts.

In the words of Shoghi Effendi:

"As to Muhammad, the Apostle of God, let none among His followers who read these pages, think for a moment that either Islam, or its Prophet, or His Book, or His appointed Successors, or any of His authentic teachings, have been, or are to be in any way, or to however slight a degree, disparaged."

~ Shoghi Effendi, The Promised Day is Come, p. 108

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

As already mentioned Baha'is believe in the same God, Muhammad, and Quran that the Muslims believe in. We believe in associating with all peoples in a spirit of love and fellowship. With a Faith that emphasises unity we tend to look for common ground rather than the differences. Baha'is will try to be fair, balanced, and impartial in their outlook. Sometimes we will agree with Muslims, other times disagree. It depends on the issue. There is nothing more too it, and certainly no Stockholm syndrome or victim going back to the abuser syndrome. Thanks for asking the question and I hope we've clarified where we're coming from.