• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia's TV impression on americans..

SoulTYPE

Why is it that Australians give out such a bad impression of our country to US? People see Steve Irwin or kangaroos or that STUPID simpsons episode of Australia(where we all had british accents).

We do not call bullfrogs "shazzawazzas". We are not all crocodile hunters and kangaroos.
We do not all sing country music and live ike Crocodile Dundee :bonk: .

Has TV REALLY given you that impression of us?

Watcher

The Gunslinger
LOL! I thought Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin were cool! It didn't send me a bad impression of Aussie's, instead, it made me think they were kinda cool.
You're not all kangaroos! I certainly hope not!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Yup, sorry. I've always thought that Steve Irwin is extremly groovy, but I've never doubted that he was unique among his kind. I don't think Americans actually have any sterotype of Australians, as far as I know.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Soultype -

Welcome to the world of stereotypes. I live in Kentucky - which, in the US is often thought of as nothing but shoeless rednecks that can't read or write, and often marry within their family (The Blue People of Kentucky notwithstanding). :eek:

TVOR

SoulTYPE

Many I have spoken to ask about Irwin or kangaroos or koalas..actually there has only been the very rare occasion I have seen a koala..

Ceridwen018

Hay Voice a' Rayson! Pass meh over one a dem squirrel tails!

Anyway, Crocodile Dundee is a stud--unite behind his image and rule the world.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
The Voice of Reason said:
Soultype -

Welcome to the world of stereotypes. I live in Kentucky - which, in the US is often thought of as nothing but shoeless rednecks that can't read or write, and often marry within their family (The Blue People of Kentucky notwithstanding). :eek:

TVOR

You have shoes?! :eek:

As for Aussie impressions, I have my own unique perspective on the country. ;)

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Maize said:
You have shoes?! :eek:

As for Aussie impressions, I have my own unique perspective on the country. ;)
No - I don't have any shoes - but I did see some once - in a store in Indiana! They looked very painful.

I'm guessing your perspective of the Aussie's could be described as coming from "Down Under"? :)

TVOR

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
The Voice of Reason said:
No - I don't have any shoes - but I did see some once - in a store in Indiana! They looked very painful.
Indiana? Is that one of them Yankee states?

I'm guessing your perspective of the Aussie's could be described as coming from "Down Under"? :)

*wipes carrot juice off computer screen*

:tsk: You are a bad boy TVOR, making me spit my juice everywhere. :p

maike

I'm sorry to spoil the image but 85 % of Australians are white trash rednecks, 13 % are boring middle class office workers and 2% are wealthy.
I bet thats the same as the US or England or Germany or whatever.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
maike said:
I'm sorry to spoil the image but 85 % of Australians are white trash rednecks, 13 % are boring middle class office workers and 2% are wealthy.
Where are these statistics coming from?

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
maike said:
Well, that's a charming little statistic you've pulled out of your rectal cavity...you're obviously one of the 85%, then?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Bastet said:
... rectal cavity...
Man, she made that sound sweeeeettttt. But I don't think it was intended as a compliment. ;)

One of my favorite lines -
"78.4 % of all statistics are made up on the spot."

TVOR