• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia Bushfires

Laika

Premium Member
I haven't seen much discussion on RF of what is going on in Australia with their extreme bush-fire season. So I hope this thread may give us a better opportunity to share information and understand what is going on. Many of the images I've seen on the Guardian are, well, just plain terrifying. Here's a video from the Guardian for those interested.

Although I'm not really familiar with these events I would still like to wish all our Australian members of the forum well and I hope you are at a safe distance from all this. :heart:

Please share your thoughts and comments here and feel free to update us with what is going on.

leov

I haven't seen much discussion on RF of what is going on in Australia with their extreme bush-fire season. So I hope this thread may give us a better opportunity to share information and understand what is going on. Many of the images I've seen on the Guardian are, well, just plain terrifying. Here's a video from the Guardian for those interested.

Although I'm not really familiar with these events I would still like to wish all our Australian members of the forum well and I hope you are at a safe distance from all this. :heart:

Please share your thoughts and comments here and feel free to update us with what is going on.
fires are natural and needed, not pleasant or safe to be near.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's important for everyone to think of fire danger when building
& landscaping. I notice that a great many people do so in a
manner which makes them susceptible to fire. Flooding has
the same problem...especially building where they shouldn't.
Be careful & thoughtful, people.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
fires are natural and needed, not pleasant or safe to be near.

Well, in nature fires always out of control. They out of control where they planned to be out of control.

There is much more to it than that. Actually far to much for me to comment any further out of respect to all that have suffered from these events.

Regards Tony

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The main reason for the fires is years and years of drought coupled with unseasonably hot temperatures

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The main reason for the fires is years and years of drought coupled with unseasonably hot temperatures
Yes. Disasters can happen no matter where one lives. Climate change is making the weather more extreme in many places.

Here's a recent map

Australia-fires-mapped-2235130.jpg

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m over in New Zealand over one thousand miles across the Tasman sea and we have the whole sky obscured by smoke from the Australian bush fire. Although approaching midday it’s like an eerie dawn or dusk with poor lighting. An elderly relative opines how it reminds him of the smoke in London during WWll after bombing raids by the NAZIs.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Here’s a snippet from a news item about the smoke from the bush fires covering New Zealand

Blood red sun greets NZ on New Years Day as Australian bushfire smoke stains skies

1577830270398.jpg

TESS RAIT
Red skies over Taylor's Mistake Beach, Banks Peninsula.
New Zealanders woke to ominous scenes early on New Year's Day, with orange haze covering the sky and the sun stained blood red.

Bushfires in Australia are spewing a massive current of smoke across the Tasman towards New Zealand, and it's likely to continue for a while.

Imagery from the Japanese weather satellite Himawari-8 shows the blanket of smoke is wide enough to cover the entire South Island.

"It's been happening for quite some time since the Aussie bushfires have been going. At the moment it's definitely more noticeable, especially over the South Island," he said.

The haze is particularly obvious in Otago where a light yellow cloud cover gives the area a sepia-toned feel.

1577830270398.jpg

GLYN KERR
A blood red sky over Waiheke Island.
In Lyttleton, Christchurch, Dudley Jackson snapped an image of the rising sun with a deep orange hue.

Blood red sun greets NZ on New Years Day as Australian bushfire smoke stains skies

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I’m over in New Zealand over one thousand miles across the Tasman sea and we have the whole sky obscured by smoke from the Australian bush fire. Although approaching midday it’s like an eerie dawn or dusk with poor lighting. An elderly relative opines how it reminds him of the smoke in London during WWll after bombing raids by the NAZIs.
We get that here from fires a few hundred miles to the NW. People stay inside, and hospitals get busy. Do you have peope coming to emergency with asthma related problems?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Unbelievable! We had bad fires where I live in the summer before the last one. People with breathing problems were urged to stay indooors. Nowhere near as hot as Australia. For us the only "good" news was that the smoke kept the area from warming as far as predicted.

It looks like all they can do is hang on.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
We get that here from fires a few hundred miles to the NW. People stay inside, and hospitals get busy. Do you have peope coming to emergency with asthma related problems?

I’m not working today but I imagine that will be a certainty. The smoke can be easily smelt so it may well trigger asthma attacks. We have high rates of asthma in NZ with previously many death but we’ve become very good at both prevention and managing acute episodes as you would expect from a developed nation. I just can’t imagine the extent of the damage and injury for our Australian cousins.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I’m not working today but I imagine that will be a certainty. The smoke can be easily smelt so it may well trigger asthma attacks. We have high rates of asthma in NZ with previously many death but we’ve become very good at both prevention and managing acute episodes as you would expect from a developed nation. I just can’t imagine the extent of the damage and injury for our Australian cousins.

What's the theory for high asthma rates there?