• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aussies to vote soon on whether to make gay marriage legal

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
But I'll say again:
Let's not change the definition of marriage. . That is what you guys want to do and I disagree. There is no need to argue further. You come from a different paradigm to me. A vastly different one. a scary one if I am to be honest.
No one is changing the definition of marriage. You can still define marriage as strictly one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others. Within your church, within your house, within your family. The legal definition is not the only one available to you. Like chill my brother. Words can have different meanings to different people without the wholesale collapse of said words or indeed society. That's the beauty of language. I mean hell, marriage in the secular context doesn't mean a goddamned thing anyway, imo. There's no conviction, no sacred sacrifice, no sanctity in secular marriages. It has already been devalued by heterosexuals for decades now. I mean just how sacred is the 2 minute marriages celebs have these days?
Hell I can walk into any magistrate and get married to some yobbo I just met provided they are 18 and of the opposite sex, for the money, for the lolz, because of a bet or any other ridiculous reason you can think of. How exactly is that more holy than a gay couple who have been together for more than say 50 years without so much as looking at others?
Is that marriage on a stupid dare really more meaningful because it's to a guy instead of another girl? Because I hate to break this to you, but society at large already has changed the definition of marriage. At least to me. Legal Marriage to me doesn't mean anything except civil rights and a marriage done in a Church/Temple is different. That has tradition, honour, sanctity. (That's not to say there aren't those things in secular marriages. Just a generalization for the sake of time.) Marriage only has a deeper meaning to those who choose to think of it that way. Not because of any law, man made or divine. But because they chose to define it that way for themselves. For whatever reason.
So why so hung up on the word marriage? Holy Matrimony is in my view a much better way to describe religious marriages.

Marriage as a word is actually very personal if you think about it. And no law will change that. Because people will define marriage according to them and their scenario/beliefs and it will differ person to person even.

And what is scary about this paradigm? Other countries have had legal gay marriage for a long time. No fire or brimstone has descended. In fact nothing has happened at all.

I'm the one being slandered here. I say thank God there are people like me who aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe in. Who will suffer the slings of outrageous misfortune. Who will stand alone in this Godless world and fight for the right to ......(sorry guess I'm getting carried away, I'll stop now )
Ahh yes, the oh so noble cause of fighting to keep treating otherwise law abiding citizens, your fellow man, as second class citizens within their own country. Very Jesus like, I must say. Because why? A word? What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would still smell as sweet.

(Shakes is pretty awesome, is he not? Teen angst in R and J aside)

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I have a right to vote with my conscience. Not please you.
Then, the people in whose inalienable private freedoms such a vote is interfering with has the right to listen to their conscience actively disobey all such laws created through the imposition of majoritarian views on society.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm done. last post on this.
can I ask for the thread to be closed? Or is that uncool for you lot?
we are just repeating ourselves now.
Welcome to the wonderful world of thread creation.
You thought it would proceed one way, but it became tedious.
I have a solution!
Get used to it.
(I've had threads blow up far far worse.)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
and what about the rights of the child? I think if I was a child I'd prefer to be raised by my biological parents unless they were completely dysfunctional.
What does this have to do with anything?! Do you really think gay people are stealing children away from their biological parents? Why are the rights of the child even in question?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
why should catholics vote Yes to gay marriage just to please the rest of society?
Because voting based on your religious beliefs is the same as attempting to force others to live according to those beliefs. I don't think religious beliefs should have any impact on politics/policy whatsoever.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
so gays are actually wanting marriage for very pragmatic reasons? Not the tearful "oh but we just wanna express our love for each other"

Both. My husband and I got married in a civil ceremony by a newly appointed judge who was thrilled to be officiating at a gay wedding as her first wedding. We did it for the aforementioned practical pragmatic reasons, as well as to show our commitment and love for each other. And being taken to a nice dinner by our family, which I paid for. Wait, wut!? o_O

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it isn't. Jesus said that He came not to abolish but to fulfill the law - including the Old Testament laws concerning homosexuality.

So, you don't wear fabric blends? You never answered back at your parents? I guess not, since you weren't executed for it. Own any slaves?

ContentImage_2D00_CherryPicking.jpg

:handpointup: At its finest.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus came to fulfill the law is what I said and that He did. He did not ever state that Gentiles must abide by the Mosaic law.

So then there's no prohibition on homosexuality if you're a Gentile, right? Yippee!

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
Breaking my own rule here but I thought it was the best place to post.
You guys tie yourself up in knots trying to be "objective" and "supporting everything you say". It comes across as constipated and defensive and utterly boring. Think about it. Do you really want be like that for the rest of your lives?
sayonara guys
the pleasure was all yours

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You guys tie yourself up in knots trying to be "objective" and "supporting everything you say". It comes across as constipated and defensive and utterly boring. Think about it. Do you really want be like that for the rest of your lives?
sayonara guys
You look irrational and defensiveon your posts. Inability to support your views with reason is your limitation, it's considered standard practice in any discussion. If you don't, you will get called out for it, and rightly so.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
sayonara guys

Because you didn't get overwhelming agreement or support for your belief about gay marriage... amiright? :confused:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Because you didn't get overwhelming agreement or support for your belief about gay marriage... amiright? :confused:
I am not a mindreader.
But I suspect that the problem is a common one on RF. The reason that non-Christians are so disproportionately represented. Most Christians aren't accustomed to a level playing field or having their assumptions challenged. When you've lived your life in Christendom that mostly doesn't happen. And there are plenty of safe spaces, both in real life and the internet. Objective thought and evidence based opinions are easy to avoid.
Tom