• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aussies to vote soon on whether to make gay marriage legal

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
thank God for tangents is all I can say. its like a breath of fresh air! Some control freaks want you to stay on topic. Then the thread becomes claustrophobic in my view.
Well I do agree with you there. Some tangents end up being far more interesting than the original topic at hand. I don't know if it's so much control freakishness that wants people to stay on topic though. That's sort the point for having a discussion.

Also deflection is often a tool to not seriously question, discuss or otherwise confront issues. So again, I can't really say that it's controlling, so much as it is cautiousness to stop said avoidance tactics.

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
But remember I'm not standing on a soapbox here trying to persuade you to change your vote. Vote whichever way. I'm just telling you why I will vote "No'. And that annoys many of you because maybe you fear there are many who think like me and the "No" vote will win. Or maybe you'd like to think you could change my mind?
I don't really care personally if "Yes" wins. it doesn't impact on my daily life. I am a bit concerned about the long term effects on society though. "modern" families sound like something out of a star trek episode. which I never liked by the way.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
But remember I'm not standing on a soapbox here trying to persuade you to change your vote. Vote whichever way. I'm just telling you why I will vote "No'. And that annoys many of you because maybe you fear there are many who think like me and the "No" vote will win. Or maybe you'd like to think you could change my mind?
I don't really care personally if "Yes" wins. it doesn't impact on my daily life. I am a bit concerned about the long term effects on society though. "modern" families sound like something out of a star trek episode. which I never liked by the way.
You can vote however you please. That's the beauty of having a free society. Emphasis on the free part.

But I am more concerned with how you came to your conclusion. And why you think the way you do. Don't you want to challenge yourself? Challenge your beliefs to make sure they are solid?

I want to discuss why you think this way in the context of society at large. Ignore the Church for a second, why do think that "modern families" sound like they're out of a Star Trek episode? What gives you this impression and why?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just stating where Catholics are coming from. We hold marriage as sacred. You ask us what we think about "marriage" and we'll tell you.

Voting on this matter is about a simple question

Do you, a Catholic Christian, has the right to stop non-Catholics and non-Christians from deciding what constitutes marriage in their own lives? We don't believe your God, we don't believe your book, we don't in the moral norms written in your book. Therefore, what precisely is the justification based on which you are choosing to vote for a proposition that would enforce Christian ideas of marriage on non-Christians?

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
I want to discuss why you think this way in the context of society at large. Ignore the Church for a second, why do think that "modern families" sound like they're out of a Star Trek episode? What gives you this impression and why?
Your tone is reflective of a lot of people here who think "I" have to defend everything I say. Why? because I'm a newbie?
gotta go to work bye

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Your tone is reflective of a lot of people here who think "I" have to defend everything I say. Why? because I'm a newbie?
gotta go to work bye
No because people are generally expected to back their statements up. Otherwise what's the point. Intellectual honesty I thinks they call it.

I mean you seem to be all about conviction, yeah? If your conviction is strong, then surely being asked to back it up is not asking a lot of you. We should all be ready to defend everything we say.

Also, have fun at work. I still has an hour before I start!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But remember I'm not standing on a soapbox here trying to persuade you to change your vote. Vote whichever way. I'm just telling you why I will vote "No'.

You talked about a split personality a while back in this thread, and I can't help that this is a sign of such splitting.

If you think that there is a solid moral reason to favor one vote over the other, then of course you should hope that the vote will go that way, and there is no shame in hoping to convince others to do the same.

What may be objectionable is how one goes about convincing other people.

And that annoys many of you because maybe you fear there are many who think like me and the "No" vote will win. Or maybe you'd like to think you could change my mind?

I would indeed.

You truly think same sex marriage is not a good thing, don't you?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
This place is so biased. No wonder people move on.

Its no coincidence that the chief responders on this site are atheists. Their agenda is obvious. Some are bullies and others are more fair minded. Some are misinformed and won't budge even when you show them that they are operating on a wrong premise.

There are Christians here but we are in a minority. I tend to stick to threads where I know I can make a point. I also like to quote scripture whenever I can to clarify things when posters think they can misquote scripture to me. I have been a Bible student and teacher for 45 years. I won't let them get away with it. Debating with Americans can be a bit daunting for us "tell it like it is" Aussies, but we call a spade a spade and don't apologise for stepping on people's toes. I never wear jackboots.
no.gif

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
Its no coincidence that the chief responders on this site are atheists. Their agenda is obvious. Some are bullies and others are more fair minded. Some are misinformed and won't budge even when you show them that they are operating on a wrong premise.

There are Christians here but we are in a minority. I tend to stick to threads where I know I can make a point. I also like to quote scripture whenever I can to clarify things when posters think they can misquote scripture to me. I have been a Bible student and teacher for 45 years. I won't let them get away with it. Debating with Americans can be a bit daunting for us "tell it like it is" Aussies, but we call a spade a spade and don't apologise for stepping on people's toes. I never wear jackboots.
no.gif
thanks. nice post.

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
It may be of interest for you to know that I play a more liberal role on Christian forums. There is way too much fundamentalism going on there and taking the Bible literally.
I think I can laugh at myself. I mean look at my avatar for goodness sake. Moses looks like Santa Claus! But atheists tend to only laugh at Christians. They are not so willing to laugh at themselves. All generalisations I know but still. It's all very left brain serious, "show me the evidence babe". I gotta work this thing out! Put God under a microscope in order to understand Him. See He doesn't exist. I told ya"

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
Because you're supporting bigotry and we want to know why.
I'm the one being slandered here. I say thank God there are people like me who aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe in. Who will suffer the slings of outrageous misfortune. Who will stand alone in this Godless world and fight for the right to ......(sorry guess I'm getting carried away, I'll stop now )

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
But I'll say again:
Let's not change the definition of marriage. . That is what you guys want to do and I disagree. There is no need to argue further. You come from a different paradigm to me. A vastly different one. a scary one if I am to be honest.

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
Voting on this matter is about a simple question

Do you, a Catholic Christian, has the right to stop non-Catholics and non-Christians from deciding what constitutes marriage in their own lives? We don't believe your God, we don't believe your book, we don't in the moral norms written in your book. Therefore, what precisely is the justification based on which you are choosing to vote for a proposition that would enforce Christian ideas of marriage on non-Christians?
Because I have a right to vote with my conscience. Not please you.

HonestJoe

But I'll say again:

Let's not change the definition of marriage. . That is what you guys want to do and I disagree.
Does that mean you’d accept the idea of officially recognised same-sex unions which are legally treated in exactly the same way as marriage in all ways? Is this really just a matter of semantics for you?

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
I'm done. last post on this.
can I ask for the thread to be closed? Or is that uncool for you lot?
we are just repeating ourselves now.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But I'll say again:
Let's not change the definition of marriage. . That is what you guys want to do and I disagree. There is no need to argue further. You come from a different paradigm to me. A vastly different one. a scary one if I am to be honest.
Legal marriage is the one being discussed for a vote, isn't it? Its definition can and must change as social conditions do.

Whether any religious or parareligious group disagrees is a matter of concern for that group alone - although it does directly relate to how relevant it wants to be and what vision of social justice it supports.