• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atrocity

King Phenomenon

I’ve heard people on here say religion is the causes all kinds of atrocities. Are there any atrocities going on in the name of religion today? If so what are they and what religion is responsible? Also what atrocities happened in the past that you know of in the name of religion and again what religion was responsible? Thanx

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I’ve heard people on here say religion is the causes all kinds of atrocities. Are there any atrocities going on in the name of religion today? If so what are they and what religion is responsible? Also what atrocities happened in the past that you know of in the name of religion and again what religion was responsible? Thanx
um..
How does one prove that religion is behind it or not?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Islamic extremists (terrorism).
Christian extremists (terrorism).
Hindu extremists (terrorism).
Groups like Eastern Lightning and the People's Temple aren't really that long ago (terrorism and suicide cult).
Provisional IRA (terrorism).
Religious based laws that codify discrimination (women can't drive (Saudi Arabia), LGBT can be fired from a job or evicted from home (United States).
Heinous repression and cruelty towards women; genital mutilation; honor killings; total and dangerously restrictive abortion bans; restricting access to birth control; prohibited from obtaining an education; sex slavery and rape; holding her responsible and guilty for her own rape;
Homeless children being denied an adopting home due to religious objections from the adoption agency.
LGBT youth being disowned by parents and kicked out their home.
Equating drug abuse to a moral issue rather than a health issue.
Denying children appropriate sex education (this is something we all pay the price for).
Denying children necessary medical treatment and letting them needlessly die.
Denying children vaccines, such as the HPV vaccine due to concerns of morality (some think this vaccine shouldn't happen and it's better to have treatable and preventable diseases needlessly hanging around to act as a sex deterrent).
Male genital mutilation becoming common due to religious moral concerns.
Traumatizing children with morbid, sadistic, violent, and cruel passages and beliefs about punishment and damnation.
Teaching children they are "lost and depraved" sinners.
Attaching a cost of conversion or church attendance to charity aid.
Theft; tax fraud and evasion; manipulating and preying upon the weak and vulnerable.
Promoting snake oils and ideas that obstruct, hinder and kill off critical thinking (like the so-called "'law' of attraction.")
I can keep going on with just today.
Past grievances would require several individual posts.
Christianity and Islam are primary offenders (though Hindu shares a great deal of fault and blame), today and historically since their existence began (though historically very few are totally pacifist and benign like Jainism).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There are religious terrorists committing atrocities all over the world.

Religious terrorism - Wikipedia.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I’ve heard people on here say religion is the causes all kinds of atrocities. Are there any atrocities going on in the name of religion today?

Seriously?
Have you been living on Mars the past few decades?

If so what are they and what religion is responsible?

Also what atrocities happened in the past that you know of in the name of religion and again what religion was responsible? Thanx

Christians in Nigeria are burning "witches".
Christians in Africa in general are telling the people that condoms are "from the devil" and by doing so, caused a viral spread of HIV.
Muslim terrorist all around the world do all kinds of nasty things.
Jews in Israel brutally oppress Palestinians.
Christians in the US, for religious reasons, support those Jews
Abrahamics of all kind discriminate against gay people in varrying degrees of severity.

etc etc etc

King Phenomenon

Groups like Eastern Lightning and the People's Temple aren't really that long ago (terrorism and suicide cult).
Religious based laws that codify discrimination (women can't drive (Saudi Arabia), LGBT can be fired from a job or evicted from home (United States).
Heinous repression and cruelty towards women; genital mutilation; honor killings; total and dangerously restrictive abortion bans; restricting access to birth control; prohibited from obtaining an education; sex slavery and rape; holding her responsible and guilty for her own rape;
Homeless children being denied an adopting home due to religious objections from the adoption agency.
Denying children appropriate sex education (this is something we all pay the price for).
Denying children vaccines, such as the HPV vaccine due to concerns of morality (some think this vaccine shouldn't happen and it's better to have treatable and preventable diseases needlessly hanging around to act as a sex deterrent).
Traumatizing children with morbid, sadistic, violent, and cruel passages and beliefs about punishment and damnation.
Theft; tax fraud and evasion; manipulating and preying upon the weak and vulnerable.
Promoting snake oils and ideas that obstruct, hinder and kill off critical thinking (like the so-called "'law' of attraction.")
Christianity and Islam are primary offenders (though Hindu shares a great deal of fault and blame), today and historically since their existence began (though historically very few are totally pacifist and benign like Jainism).
I think the primary offenders might be ones parents unfortunately

King Phenomenon

Unfortunately I think mentall illness is the reason a man rapes a woman.

King Phenomenon

The terrorist groups are just that, terrorists not religious. They may think their religious though.

King Phenomenon

As far as Homeless children being denied an adopting home due to religious objections from the adoption agency, I would say that those agency’s are all together mentally ill not religion gone wrong

King Phenomenon

As far as women can’t drive in Saudi Arabia I would say that is male ego and primitivism still in power not religion gone wrong

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't see religion as the upfront motivator

have you seen the news lately?

looks like social arrest
economic strife
military coups

haven't seen any Sodoms

no wait.....it hailed in Texas
8inch diameter chunks

I hope that was just a rumor

Last edited:

King Phenomenon

I don't see relgion as the upfront motivator

have you seen the news lately?

looks like social arrest
economic strife
military coups

haven't seen any Sodoms

no wait.....it hailed in Texas
8inch diameter chunks

I hope that was just a rumor
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s human natures down side rather than ink on a page.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Atrocities associated with the partition of India.
I am not saying that the religious books support these atrocities. But religious identity creates us vs them identity divide which was absent previously. Religious identity politics is responsible here.
The Mutual Genocide of Indian Partition

The article is very interesting to read.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think the primary offenders might be ones parents unfortunately

Unfortunately I think mentall illness is the reason a man rapes a woman.

The terrorist groups are just that, terrorists not religious. They may think their religious though.

As far as Homeless children being denied an adopting home due to religious objections from the adoption agency, I would say that those agency’s are all together mentally ill not religion gone wrong

As far as women can’t drive in Saudi Arabia I would say that is male ego and primitivism still in power not religion gone wrong
First off, blaming mental illness in such a way is heinous. It stigmatizes, it does real damage, it does real harm. As a group, the "mentally ill" are among the least violent and criminal, but yet at a high risk of being the victims of crime and violence.
And terrorist leaders do not genedally recruit someone if mental instability is likely to be a liability.
Arm chair psyching is also very unethical. Those people denying children a home? Mental illness isn't playing a role. Terrorists? Even suicidal ones tend to be sane, lucid, and coherent of the world around them (unless you want to believe Kamikaze pilots were largely mentally ill themselves and the dogma of generational army and dying for a god emperor plays no role).
This also downplays rape, as that is about violence and control, not mental illness. And, again, we have too many examples of rapist who were not mentally ill. And, again, the mentally ill are vastly more likely to be victims than perpetrators.
Blaming the parents is a very poor excuse, and ignores the reality of what is going on. Such as social influences and factors. Such as, all things considered, it doesn't matter who the terrorist group is they generally recruit from a pool of men who are in their late teens to late 20s, who are on the fringes of society and have weak, few, and limited social connections, amd they play upon the desire and urge commonly shared by most humans to want to make a positive change in the world and wanting to belong.
And it is illogical, and even dangerous, to deny religion has anything to do with it. When someone spends their final day of life in prayer before blowing themselves up in the name of their religion, there is no good reason to deny this. "No true Scot" arguments just don't work, because ambiguous language and contradictions and inconsistencies found throughout books like the Bible and Quran, along with the passages that permit and encourage war, there is no reason to doubt their religiousness. Or, if they slaughter thousands of people to please the gods and avert disasters, it's a very safe bet those killings (called human sacrifices) were made on the grounds of sincerely held religious beliefs.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s human natures down side rather than ink on a page.
Countless innocent people died because of Biblical restrictions on witch craft, soothsaying, and other occult practices because the Bible demands "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."
Why do Conservative Abrahamics hate homosexuals? The Bible says what they do is detestable, it calls them abominations, and it demands them be killed.
Misogyny? Paul wrote he will not "suffer a woman to usurp authority over a man."
Foreigners? The Bible says they can be captured, kept as slaves and reduced to the personal property of another.
Those books are so vile and foul they would even force a woman to terminate a pregnancy and demand the execution of a rebellious child. That is what those religions actually do promote as law. Like killing apostates and those who worship other gods. (Compared to us and much of the modern world where freedom of religion is an inherent right you can't be legally punished or killed for exercising).

King Phenomenon

First off, blaming mental illness in such a way is heinous. It stigmatizes, it does real damage, it does real harm. As a group, the "mentally ill" are among the least violent and criminal, but yet at a high risk of being the victims of crime and violence.
And terrorist leaders do not genedally recruit someone if mental instability is likely to be a liability.
Arm chair psyching is also very unethical. Those people denying children a home? Mental illness isn't playing a role. Terrorists? Even suicidal ones tend to be sane, lucid, and coherent of the world around them (unless you want to believe Kamikaze pilots were largely mentally ill themselves and the dogma of generational army and dying for a god emperor plays no role).
This also downplays rape, as that is about violence and control, not mental illness. And, again, we have too many examples of rapist who were not mentally ill. And, again, the mentally ill are vastly more likely to be victims than perpetrators.
Blaming the parents is a very poor excuse, and ignores the reality of what is going on. Such as social influences and factors. Such as, all things considered, it doesn't matter who the terrorist group is they generally recruit from a pool of men who are in their late teens to late 20s, who are on the fringes of society and have weak, few, and limited social connections, amd they play upon the desire and urge commonly shared by most humans to want to make a positive change in the world and wanting to belong.
And it is illogical, and even dangerous, to deny religion has anything to do with it. When someone spends their final day of life in prayer before blowing themselves up in the name of their religion, there is no good reason to deny this. "No true Scot" arguments just don't work, because ambiguous language and contradictions and inconsistencies found throughout books like the Bible and Quran, along with the passages that permit and encourage war, there is no reason to doubt their religiousness. Or, if they slaughter thousands of people to please the gods and avert disasters, it's a very safe bet those killings (called human sacrifices) were made on the grounds of sincerely held religious beliefs.
I’m aware of mental illness in good people like schizophrenia or bipolar etc. But I also think a rapist Is mentally ill. We just think differently. It’s all good

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Paul Hill