• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atrocity

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It’s ok to admit You could be wrong. Isn’t it the creed of the scientific community to have an open mind about things like the possibility of discovering new ways to diagnose people with various mental illness?
I am not wrong. I never claimed new things won't be discovered and that we currently have all we need.
I am calling out your carelessness in labeling people you don't even know as mental illness, and claiming their actions are rooted in mental illness. What you have been claiming is so far off base from what social sciences and neuropsychology have found and do teach that your remarks are inappropriate. As I have pointed out, it does do real damage and harm, and it does set mental health care back, and it does further entrench social stigmas regarding those who have a mental illness. It should be regarded as no different than something like the flu or arthritis, and constantly attaching violence to those who are mentally ill prevents this normalization from happening.

King Phenomenon

I am not wrong. I never claimed new things won't be discovered and that we currently have all we need.
I am calling out your carelessness in labeling people you don't even know as mental illness, and claiming their actions are rooted in mental illness. What you have been claiming is so far off base from what social sciences and neuropsychology have found and do teach that your remarks are inappropriate. As I have pointed out, it does do real damage and harm, and it does set mental health care back, and it does further entrench social stigmas regarding those who have a mental illness. It should be regarded as no different than something like the flu or arthritis, and constantly attaching violence to those who are mentally ill prevents this normalization from happening.
I’m not attaching violence to mental illness I’m attaching mental illness to some forms of violence. I’m very well aware that people with bipolar etc. don’t commit crimes although I’m sure there have been a few but that’s beside the point. And who knows with further discoverys what will happen. I Don’t even know why I’m explaining myself anyway. What a waste of my time

King Phenomenon

U say evil
I say ill
Well at least we can both agree they did a bad thing
We’re making progress

King Phenomenon

Well I don’t even know what you say. I don’t know if it was evil. I think you maybe alluded to them being abused as a child. Idk

King Phenomenon

Oh and if you do mean they do it because they were abused as a child isn’t there a diagnosis that some people get when they go through real bad abuse? I can’t recall what it was. Sad no doubt
Maybe ptsd

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh and if you do mean they do it because they were abused as a child isn’t there a diagnosis that some people get when they go through real bad abuse? I can’t recall what it was. Sad no doubt
They don't do it just because they were abused. Lots of children are abused and don't become serial killers.
And no. There is no diagnosis for having gone through abuse. The effects of trauma and abuse are real, and they are heavily detrimental with the potential to do deep and lasting psychological and emotional harm, but being abused and traumatized in itself is not a diagnosis. It doesn't even always lead to the same outcomes.
Well I don’t even know what you say. I don’t know if it was evil. I think you maybe alluded to them being abused as a child. Idk
I am saying it is very problematic and destructive to so casually throw out and label people as mentally ill. You don't know them. You have no idea who they are. You don't know what makes them tick, you don't even know the details of a single thought they've had.
U say evil
I say ill
Well at least we can both agree they did a bad thing
We’re making progress
I didn't say evil. We aren't making progress. We already began with agreeing violence is bad.
You blamed mental illness, and this is something I cannot abide.
I’m not attaching violence to mental illness I’m attaching mental illness to some forms of violence.
Every form of violence discussed you have dismissed as being the result of mental illness, even when it just is not so (like terrorist groups who avoid recruiting those who are mentally unstable and potentially violent because of it. Or rape. It is sick and demented, mental illness isn't driving it).
I Don’t even know why I’m explaining myself anyway. What a waste of my time
Because you have been called out for repeatedly attaching mental illness to violence.
And who knows with further discoverys what will happen.
That same excuse was just recently used in a thread in an attempt to dismiss evolution.

King Phenomenon

They don't do it just because they were abused. Lots of children are abused and don't become serial killers.
And no. There is no diagnosis for having gone through abuse. The effects of trauma and abuse are real, and they are heavily detrimental with the potential to do deep and lasting psychological and emotional harm, but being abused and traumatized in itself is not a diagnosis. It doesn't even always lead to the same outcomes.

I am saying it is very problematic and destructive to so casually throw out and label people as mentally ill. You don't know them. You have no idea who they are. You don't know what makes them tick, you don't even know the details of a single thought they've had.

I didn't say evil. We aren't making progress. We already began with agreeing violence is bad.

Every form of violence discussed you have dismissed as being the result of mental illness, even when it just is not so (like terrorist groups who avoid recruiting those who are mentally unstable and potentially violent because of it. Or rape. It is sick and demented, mental illness isn't driving it).

Because you have been called out for repeatedly attaching mental illness to violence.

That same excuse was just recently used in a thread in an attempt to dismiss evolution.
So sick and demented is where u stand
Thanx for sharin

King Phenomenon

You might not wanna use that Word demented as dementia is a serious thing.
it might be considered as offensive.
Stick with sick and you’ll be good to go

King Phenomenon

You're making it very obvious you know little about psychology, psychiatry, and neuropsychology, and psychiatric pathology, but yet you want to make grand and serious claims that require a background and actual knowledge of those fields to access.
It's kind of like when someone tries to use "sociopath" or "psychopath" as a diagnosis. Those don't exist as a diagnose. People try to argue there is a difference, there is no actual difference between the two, there is no "actual term" as if it's something like autism or schizophrenic which have actual definitions and standards for a diagnosis. People say one is born the other made, science and medicine say they are both born with a genetic predisposition and suffered horribly abusive childhoods. And they are such a small minority and percentage even among those who are mentally ill that it is grossly unfair and damaging to lump all people with a mental illness in with them as one large, monolithic group.
No but
Antisocial personality disorder is

King Phenomenon

U say sick
I say mental illness
I believe the correct terminology today is mental disorder so I guess we’re both set, or not.
Petty I know

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No but
Antisocial personality disorder is
And you don't really seem to know what a personality disorder is the way you assume terrorists, rapists, and other perpetrators have some sort of mental illness. Antisocial personality disorder, that's one of those things terrorists organizations watch out for because this person can potentially be a risk and liability.
U say sick
I say mental illness
I believe the correct terminology today is mental disorder so I guess we’re both set, or not.
Petty I know
It's not petty when you actively perpetuate bs about mental illness.

King Phenomenon

And you don't really seem to know what a personality disorder is the way you assume terrorists, rapists, and other perpetrators have some sort of mental illness. Antisocial personality disorder, that's one of those things terrorists organizations watch out for because this person can potentially be a risk and liability.

It's not petty when you actively perpetuate bs about mental illness.
Well I’m Really glad terrorist organizations are staying away from people like that
Lol
God forbid we wouldn’t want any loose cannons in those organizations

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well I’m Really glad terrorist organizations are staying away from people like that
Lol
God forbid we wouldn’t want any loose cannons in those organizations
In a terrorist organization, it doesn't matter the religion (this applies to P-IRA just as much as it does ISIS), it doesn't matter the individual labels of ideology (Marxist or Environmentalist willing to hurt and kill for it), it doesn't matter where (East or West), it is very common to see within terrorist group recruitment efforts that very heavily pool from young adults, predominately males though females somethings have varying roles, and those who see an oppressor and hear someone telling them they can do something about it. They can make a difference for a better tomorrow. Of course some ISIS members did join ISIS just to fight America, and some families and nobles and kings are tied to terrorism, but commonly those doing their everyday grunt work are loners looking to belong and to make a difference and to fight for what they believe in. And it's not also uncommon who are caught or otherwise are distanced from it to gain a fresh perspective and realize they young and dumb days were especially dumb.
This is a very different thing entirely from someone who is pathologically inclined to behave in anti-social means. It's not unusual for this to begin manifesting as property damage, fire starting, bullying, or petty theft. It can also be notoriously difficult to include someone in building group cohesion if this person is pathologically anti-social (meaning, not shy or a social hermit, but clinically anti-social). Yes, they can be found in militaries, but this is a more controlled and focused outlet than a kid starting fires.Terrorist leaders are not dumb, they are not stupid, and they realize that sometimes some people will be a liability if they were to join. Despite popular belief, most suicide bombers are sane, lucid people and not at all psychotic.