• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athiests Only: What would suffice as proof of God?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
One cannot prove God's existence to another - this is up to the knowledge, beliefs, and opinions of the individual. Some believe in God, claiming that the existence of the universe is good enough for their beliefs; others do not believe in God, claiming the universe has no need for a God.

It's all a matter of perspective. Select and develop your beliefs in a rational inquisitive manner to reach a conclusion.

openingpost said:
After reading everybody's responses in Katzpurs thread. I thought this would be a natural follow up.

1. So how about it, what would suffice as proof of God?

2. Would any of the bilbical miracles convince you if you witnessed them?

But the question was not to prove to another, but what proof itself. My thought was that a personal opinionwas asked and thus the proof to you, only one perspective.

I do agree though..

Rhonan

Beat me to it :p

Edit: LOL, beat me again..

:D

Well, true, but my point was I had issue with the question in the first place...

If you think about it logically - nothing can prove or disprove God's existence to anyone. Whatever evidence exists for believing or not must be taken by faith at some point.

Therefore someone's proof differs from individual to individual.

I highlighted the importance of "forget the proof altogether and just focus on the idea and the reasoning behind the idea."

If there was empirical proof of God, none of us would be having this conversation.

My point - it's illogical to say "what would it take for you to believe in God" because the question assumes an event or a feeling would change the person's beliefs - a person's beliefs should not be based on signs, wonders, and feelings - but on logical reasoning...

:)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think if I became an alcoholic or drug addict who hit rock-bottom, then attended AA or another religious-based 12 step program, and discovered religion and became a self-righteous, ex-drunk/addict, that would work for me. At least it seems to work for everyone else in that situation.

Alceste

Vagabond
I know I've said before that I'd need some kind of indication that god/s exist before believing in them. But having reflected on this, I realise it isn't true. All it would take for me to believe in god/s would be to wake up one day with a god-belief that wasn't there before. * shrug *. I honestly can't see that happening, but who knows? Even if this happened to me though, it would be a long journey between discovering a new god-belief and making any kind of claim that it should be taken as evidence that god exists.

OmarKhayyam

Here is one that would pretty well convince me. And if god is really GOD it would be easy to do.

On the next full moon a message appears across the face:
“I am the Lord thy God.”

Every person looking at the moon sees that message in his native language. Blind persons and those otherwise unable to see the moon are aware the message is there and what it says. Illiterate persons are also aware of the message and what it says. Photos taken of the message share the same language; that is a photo taken by an English speaking person shows the message in English. That same photo shown to a one speaking another language shows the message is HIS native language. IOW, the message exists in the viewer’s mind rather than independently on the photo. Movies show the same thing. Persons viewing it see the message in their language whether on TV in a movie house, DVD wherever the message is there in the viewer’s native language.

As the moon wanes the message remains visible exactly as before.

On the next full moon the message changes:

“And I am coming for all of you and I am ******!”:shout

Damn well get MY attention.;)

challupa

IF God was to show up, how many Christians would deny Him simply because He is not what they think He should be?
LOL that reminds me of the books called "Conversations with God". How many Christians believe he had a conversation with God? Good Point Mestemia. Even if someone claimed to be god they would likely lock him up.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
LOL that reminds me of the books called "Conversations with God". How many Christians believe he had a conversation with God? Good Point Mestemia. Even if someone claimed to be god they would likely lock him up.
Don't listen, Patrick. Just cover your ears... Lalalalalala...

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
If by "God" one means a personal yet perfect being which oversees all of reality, then nothing short of said being direct implanting knowledge of "its" existence would suffice as I am firmly convinced that such a being is impossible.

If by "God" one actually means a "god" and by that you mean "super advanced extra-terrestrial being with phenomenal cosmic powers and/or created the universe," well then quite a few things would suffice (naming them would be quite the list). But such a being is irrelevant to religion as far as I am concerned. And thus a moot thing to question for the purposes of establishing a theological model for cosmology.

MTF