• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athiests Only: What would suffice as proof of God?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
`PaWz said:
If he said "Hello, My name is GOD," that would probably work. There are many experiences we have that we can't explain, and we just call it something that makes sense to us. I guess I wouldn't know for sure then
What? Some guy walks up to you and says, "Hello, my name is God," and you believe him? :p

UnTheist

Katzpur said:
What? Some guy walks up to you and says, "Hello, my name is God," and you believe him? :p
If I was drunk, I might.
I was talking about a mystical experience. I have yet to have any experience that is remotely abnormal. But I can't rule out the possibility of it happening later on

Doktormartini

小虎
It would take physical proof for me to believe in a higher being. Also, as for the miracles in the bible, if I saw them, I still wouldn't believe. Maybe the rasing of Lazarus if he was confirmed dead by doctors and has been dead for a day or so. Then yes, MAYBE.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
The best evidence that a being is God is for him to create a universe and explain how it was done, or at least to explain how he created this universe and point to evidence that would verify the means.

As an analogy, I can't personally create my own nuclear power plant, but someone could demonstrate one or explain how to create one and explain how it would work.

I'm not suggesting this would remove all doubt, but it may remove enough that it would become something that one could rationally accept as a serious possibility, and even a probability.

eudaimonia,

Mark

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I've seen stage magicians walk on water, walk through glass and levitate.

Ok, only one. But, he still did it.

Maybe Criss Angel is God. :D

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
If I were to witness a man float down from the sky, introduce himself as God and then proceed to raise one of my deceased relatives from the dead; then I would believe.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Perhaps a mighty creator would have the power to allow me to understand all sorts of deity-ish business.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
After reading everybody's responses in Katzpurs thread. I thought this would be a natural follow up.

1. So how about it, what would suffice as proof of God?

2. Would any of the bilbical miracles convince you if you witnessed them?

Maybe if God had continued to be actively and visibly part of the world like he supposidly was in the Garden of Eden (if you're a literalist).

If God spoke to me, as he often spoke to only one person at a time in the Bible, I might think I was going crazy and hearing things. If someone suddenly started telling everyone that he was god, we would think he was crazy.

If he raised a few people from the dead, that might work.

Bronze

Bronze
Nothing could prove it, because nothing can be proven.

actually that isnt completely true, things can be proven, conceptual ideas that humans have defined as reflexive facts, like 'circles are round' or '1+1=2".

but a god i know does not exist could never be proven, there is always the possibility we are in the matrix.

Objective reality proves that god's existance connot be proven.

IndigoSea

I would need to see a real miracle (as in not a child being born or a sunrise!) or have some sort of drug-free personal experience with God to actually convince me to follow him.

Aasimar

Atheist
To follow the christian god, I would need a personal vision of utmost clarity that I can remember, in which the being identifies himself and explains to me what rules I must follow. It must also be something I cannot explain rationally. Otherwise I'm going to continue to make the reasonable assumption that all these doctrines are clever mind control games, and man they work well. And even if he showed up and told me to do anything that I considered amoral (i.e. hate homosexuals) I would still not follow him.

rojse

RF Addict
What would suffice as proof for me?

If aliens landed on earth, and told me that they worshipped the Lord, and they had their own version of the bible, with all of the major teachings within, such as love your neighbour and so forth, that would convince me that religion is not merely a culturally confined phenomena. After all, would God leave an intelligent race to rot in hell merely because he did not tell them all about his religion?

Failing that, I would accept God coming down from heaven, and smiting some people in a clear and unambiguous way. He done that often enough in the Bible, why can he not do that now?

Otherwise, when I die, I will only believe when I am sent to Hell, which apparently is the destination of all people who do not believe in God, no matter what sort of life they have led.

M

Majikthise

God is what you make it.
There are many different religions each with their own interpretations of a god being. When the entire human race can unite under one theological banner without the use of threats,I would most likely take notice.
That would be a real miracle.:bow:

The old saying goes "The proof is in the pudding". If god manifested itself to me via pudding and told me all christians were right, how could I not believe it? Chocolate pudding has rarely let me down.

If there is a God who is to say the christian bible is correct or any of them are for that matter.Them miracles if they did happen would have just been magic tricks.Jesus must have been the David Blaine of 2000 years ago. So proof of a God may not actually exist.

God is what you make it.
There are many different religions each with their own interpretations of a god being. When the entire human race can unite under one theological banner without the use of threats,I would most likely take notice.
That would be a real miracle.:bow:

it would be but is very unlikely to happen.even without religion.