• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: will you die as atheists or look for religion?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't say for sure what the future will hold for me. But for now and the foreseeable future I simply do not believe there is a god. Trying to scare me or threaten me won't change that. Besides, people shouldn't want to join a religion for selfish reasons like they want to save their hides. I'd call that lip service.

Servant_of_the_One1

I simply do not believe there is a god. Trying to scare me or threaten me won't change that. Besides, people shouldn't want to join a religion for selfish reasons like they want to save their hides. I'd call that lip service.

Iam not trying to scare you:

Let say there is afterlife(meaning there is God, Heaven, Hell), would you accept ur situation or wish you could return to Earth and become believer?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Let say there is afterlife(meaning there is God, Heaven, Hell), would you accept ur situation or wish you could return to Earth and become believer?
I don't think the hypothetical is particularly useful. I don't know that there is an afterlife let alone the Christian version.
Let's say Odin and Valhalla were real. Would you then begin worshipping Odin?

freethinker44

No choice is set in stone, if I haven't found proof of a god by the time I die then I will die an atheist.
Regardless of whether or not I find proof of a god, I would never worship one. Well, I don't really want to say never, but I can't think of a single situation where I would.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is your choice for atheism real one till death or its a rebellion which wont last for long?
I never chose to be an atheist, only to be open about it.

I will in all likelihood die as an atheist, except perhaps if my mental faculties faulter in certain ways.

I find it somewhat disrespectful for people to expect me to be "rebelling".

Now, would you be interested in learning about the freedom and moral value of atheism?

Servant_of_the_One1

I don't think the hypothetical is particularly useful. I don't know that there is an afterlife let alone the Christian version.
Let's say Odin and Valhalla were real. Would you then begin worshipping Odin?

Logic answer would be yes.
Thats why its called faith for now, we dont know for sure.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I guess I would have to teach God about fairness then, and raise a ruckus until he allowed me to join my brothers in Hell.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Being atheistic does not mean one is irreligious.

Aside from that, painting atheism as "rebellion" is, while perhaps unintentionally, a little bit offensive.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Is your choice for atheism real one till death or its a rebellion which wont last for long?
It wasn't so much a choice as opposed to being an inescapable conclusion. I've looked into the eyes of god and though I still rate that experience as perhaps the pinnacle of my inner experience thus far, this time around, even at the time, something inside me quietly said, "Pay attention, look harder." It was something I saw looking deeply into those marvelous incalculably huge eyes. So, for me, it was hardly rebellion, but rather, it was growth. I moved past that limited vision of reality... and that is when the real fun began. I already understand I am older than time itself.... plus, it's not like I have not died before, LOL. After awhile the fear just evaporates.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Logic answer would be yes.
Thats why its called faith for now, we dont know for sure.
I don't think it would be logical for me. I wouldn't worship something just because it was there.
In any case, I don't have faith in the existence of gods, either individually or as a group. So I live by the saying:
"Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'll happily die an atheist. It's not like god won't look after me, anyway (at least as well as he already is).