• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ATHEISTS: What is the meaning of existence?

crystalonyx

ATHEISTS only please. WHAT is the meaning of existence to you, or does existence have any meaning or purpose?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Whatever one thinks it is . . . meaning is contextual and affected by memory/experience and culture.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
The existance for me is having fun, making the best out of my life. The meaning of life in general. I actually don't know. I am guessing none.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
ATHEISTS only please. WHAT is the meaning of existence to you, or does existence have any meaning or purpose?

By "existence", do you mean my existence as a human individual? My life?

The meaning of existence to me is to flourish as the unique individual I am, and to find happiness and fulfillment.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Nanda

Polyanna
I don't think that there is any ultimate meaning/purpose to life, other than the obvious biological urges that drive us. We all have a limited amount of time to live, and it's us to the individual to decide how they will spend that time.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
doppelgänger;1043225 said:
Au contraire, I'd say I spend a pretty good chunk of my time on that very project, or at least trying to stray away from "not being." :D

I must be a pro then. I can even do it while sleeping :cool:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I must be a pro then. I can even do it while sleeping :cool:

Actually, while asleep you still have subconscious processes monitoring sensory information and looking out for you. You have to be completely unconscious (such as after a head injury) to completely shut down your brain's self-preservation efforts. Interestingly, if you are unconscious you can easily choke to death on your own tongue if lying down. Yet you don't when you sleep. The reason is that your brain will kick in and wake or partially wake you to move your tongue if the air supply alarm goes off. That process is what typically causes "sleep apnea."

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
To tell the truth, to me the question is meaningless. That is, it doesn't make sense. Words have meanings. Life just is...
amazing.
Could you expound on what you mean by meaning in the context of existence.

Also in this context I would like to point to my signature.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
The things of this temporal world exist because it is within
their nature to persist. If they were not so, then they wouldn’t be.

I agree with Autodidact. The question does not make sense.

Smoke

Done here.
Not life, yet, but existence! So it must be a meaning that applies equally well not only to dogs, humans, trees, and bacteria, but also to rocks, clouds, and iPods. Any "meaning" there is too general and diffuse for me to notice or care about.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
ATHEISTS only please. WHAT is the meaning of existence to you,
Your elementary question presupposes that "existence" should have "meaning". I might ask why you feel that it must have meaning? Good luck on that one.

or does existence have any meaning or purpose?
Yes, my existence does have meaning. Imho, reality could not exist without me as I am an integral part of reality. The same could be said for anyone reading this. Any meaning I ascribe to my being is a reflection of my attitudes about what I create. Those attitudes will, without any doubt, morph over time as my experience increases.

In other ways, I create the meaning of my existence, ever-fresh, in each new moment. As a being, I am like a perpetual motion machine and simply have learned to spin in sync with All That Is around me. It's sort of like a two-step in the cosmic Lila.

crystalonyx

Your elementary question presupposes that "existence" should have "meaning". I might ask why you feel that it must have meaning? Good luck on that one.

Actually, it doesn't, no place did I say that existence must have meaning, I personally lean towards an existentialist philosophy. One is free to give existence meaning in their own personal lives.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To tell the truth, to me the question is meaningless. That is, it doesn't make sense. Words have meanings. Life just is...
amazing.
Could you expound on what you mean by meaning in the context of existence.
For me, I mean "words." Existence is a word.

Sgloom

existence has no meaning to me, im here now so i might as well go along for the ride. i think life is pretty amazing, but theres no purpose to it, itll all be gone eventually and leave no trace of any of it behind

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I've made it my purpose to learn, to teach, to explore, and to be happy, but this is tentative and not in anyway an objective meaning.