• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists in Islamic Cultures

linwood

Anyone know any atheists in predominantly Muslim nations?

I ask because I just read a post by an atheist in Algeria who is out to her family and she hasn`t been stoned to death so at least in some moderate Islamic nations it`s not what we in the west seem to believe.

Anyone know any atheists from Islamic nations?

Nehustan

Historically atheism was not something Islam came across, it is in actuality a very recent phenomena. It was common for Islam to deal with polytheists, idolators, etc., but at the time of Islam revelation everyone had a god. An interesting point has been made that atheists may in fact be closer to Islam than some people of the book as they have cleansed themself of any idolatrous concept of gods. Of course they do not go on to profess faith in the Absolute and infinite that preceeded the creation, but some do as a member here changed from atheism to Islam.

The declaration of faith starts 'There is no god...' adding '...but Allah.'

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have no idea why you think an atheist will be stoned to death. There is no such a law in islam to stone an atheist. He/She have the right to believe in what suit them. I know atheists and i read for them and for thier thoughts over many of islamic countries but they are few.

linwood

The Truth said:
I have no idea why you think an atheist will be stoned to death. There is no such a law in islam to stone an atheist. He/She have the right to believe in what suit them. I know atheists and i read for them and for thier thoughts over many of islamic countries but they are few.
Truth you really need to aquire a sense of humor.

Franklin

linwood said:
Anyone know any atheists in predominantly Muslim nations?

I ask because I just read a post by an atheist in Algeria who is out to her family and she hasn`t been stoned to death so at least in some moderate Islamic nations it`s not what we in the west seem to believe.

Anyone know any atheists from Islamic nations?
Here is some information that would support this claim, at least as far as muslims go:
Quran 8:39 – ‘kill non-Muslim men, women and children, until there are no more non-Muslims in this world’

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Shall we pull some out-of-context and MISTRANSLATED verses out of the Old Testament now?

:banghead3

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
YUSUFALI: And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do.
PICKTHAL: And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. But if they cease, then lo! Allah is Seer of what they do.
SHAKIR: And fight with them until there is no more persecution and religion should be only for Allah; but if they desist, then surely Allah sees what they do.
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/008.qmt.html

Nehustan

Very interesting Quranic Quote, I'd love to know which version of the Quran you were using. Here are a few other translations of the meaning of the arabic, not quite the same as your version, but I suppose the translator of your copy was using what is known as poetic licence...

Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Raheem

And fight against them until there is no more oppression and all worship is devoted to God alone. And if they desist-behold, God sees all that they do.

Surah Al Anfal, 8:39 (Asad Translation)

And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do.

Surah Al Anfal, 8:39 (Ali Translation)

And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. But if they cease, then lo! Allah is Seer of what they do.

Surah Al Anfal, 8:39 (Picktall Translation)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
It's talking about fighting in self-defense. It's not talking about slaughtering people just because they are different. It also says to stop fighting if those who were aggressing on you cease.

Nehustan

Jamaesi, you gotta learn these people are all about winding you up. May Allah bless you for your defence of the Quran, BUT you shouldn't intellectually lower yourself (tho' sometimes your passionate replies bring a smile to my face).

Ma Salaam.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Franklin said:
Here is some information that would support this claim, at least as far as muslims go:
Quran 8:39 – ‘kill non-Muslim men, women and children, until there are no more non-Muslims in this world’
oh, thanks for that, now i know why islam is also known as a religion of peace :banghead3

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Franklin said:

This is an obvious misrepresentation of the verse with intent to upset and slander our Muslims members. It is not appreciated.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
quot-bot-right.gif
oh, thanks for that, now i know why islam is also known as a religion of peace :banghead3
Is this a joke or sarcasm?

Anastasios

Quran 8.39 (or 8.40 if we consider the besmele as a verse): And fight them until there is no persecution and religion is wholly to Allah. But if they desist, then surely Allah is Watchful of what they do.
Muslims were enjoined to fight till religious persecution had ceased and men were free to practise the religion of their choice. Islam undoubtly is the greatest upholder of freedom of conscience, as was read in Quran 2.193 (or 2.194 if we consider the besmele as a verse): And fight them until there is no persecution, and religion is professed only for Allah. But if they desist, then remember that no hostility is allowed except against the wrongdoers. This verse also shows that Muslims are allowed to fight in self-defence only when war is inflicted upon them by the other party and to continue it till complete freedom of religion is established. The Holy Prophet Muhammad (pubh) could not have entered into a number of treaties of peace with disbelievers if the Divine commandment had been to continue fighting until all disbelievers had embraced Islam.

And actually there is no an islamic punishment against blasphemy. There is also no punishment to you if you are not muslim. the important thing is always PEACE in islam.

if muslims were in favour of war, they would certainly put forward the words of Jesus against Christianity, which are:

(Matthew 10)
34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her motherinlaw—
36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'

They have a great respect to Prophet Jesus and they accept him as a righteous person sent by God. They don't accept the sentences above as a war-yell, as Christians don't accept too.

Regards.

linwood

Maize said:

This is an obvious misrepresentation of the verse with intent to upset and slander our Muslims members. It is not appreciated.
It doesn`t seem so to me.

The entire sura seems to be devoted to the slaying of those who refuste "The Truth of Allah".

Please show me how it is out of context.

Franklin

Franklin said:

Actually it turns out that my muslim friends are correct, this did turn out to be an unreliable source for a Koran translation, my apologies.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

linwood,

you are going to have a long wait. you are going to get apologetics stating otherwise, but the Q'uran says what it says, just as so many disturbing passages of the Old Testament of Bible do.

B.