• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: does God exist?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All I see are self-proclaimed atheists endlessly asserting that there is no evidence for the existence or nature of God when there is plenty, because they have defined evidence as only that which can convince them of something they are already convinced is not true.
No. We've explained this endlessly. We are not "convinced that it's not true." We are assuming the only rational position: deferred belief, pending real evidence.
Evidence that's not observable, measureable, repeatable, testable or falsifiable does not convince us. It is not rational or objective evidence.
This is not an, "I don't know" position. It's an, "I dare you to try and convince me otherwise" position. It's for this reason that I have come to conclude that most atheists are liars as they claim to be open-minded or undecided when they're anything but.
This is poppycock. Our position is deferred belief. You've made a claim on a debate forum. We question your justification. This is not a dare, at most it's a challenge.
In making a claim you've assumed the burden of proof. Then you get annoyed when we ask you to justify it, or question your justifications.

We are open minded to evidence. You are closed to questions or criticism.
A reasonable decision could be made based on subjective criteria, but they refuse to respect the validity of this option ... because they have already made up their minds and have no intention of entertaining any criteria that might contradict that pre-determination. Again, this is not an, "I don't know" position, this is an, "I dare you to try and convince me otherwise" position.
Balderdash. We question the epistemic value of your subjective criteria. Don't blam us if you can't logically or factually support it.
We remain open to any real, objective, testable evidence evidence, or logical arguments.
This is a totally unreasonable assertion based on the athest's insistance that "evidence" is only what can convince them when they have no intention of being convinced.
We've told you what evidence is empirically useful. You haven't produced any meeting the qualifications.
You seem to interpret your inability to do so as a hostile, unjustified attack by us.
What I find annoying is the constant arrogance and dishonesty. Just as @F1fan found his religious relatives annoying for their not being able to reasonably explain why they believed in their version of God, or why the behaved so badly as a result. And yet saw themselves as being morally and ethically superior to anyone that didn't believe as they did.
How are we dishonest, and what are we arrogating? A request for objective evidence, or expectation of logical reasoning is not dishonest or arrogant.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If the responses on here are from actual atheists I'm very surprised since most engagements I have had with the professed atheists on these forums have inadvertently resulted in their insisting they have no beliefs concerning Gods existence.

Similarly, I've run into lots of theists here who misinterpret "you don't need any specific beliefs about gods to be an atheist" as "atheists don't have any beliefs about gods."

... so I suspect there may be some confusion there.

If you have no belief concerning a subject then you cannot meaningfully converse about said subject.

That depends. You can take premises as granted for the purposes of a discussion without actually accepting them yourself.

Most atheists I've met on here however seem to have no problem debating or professing a strong opinion on the concept while simultaneously professing having no belief concerning God.

I suspect more confusion here, since a lot of the debate is on the "meta" questions that are one step removed from the question of some god's existence. For instance, arguing about whether an argument for some god is sound doesn't require any particular position on the god itself.

F1fan

Veteran Member
So according to this, you rejected your family member's ideas of God because they could not explain them to your satisfaction, and because they didn't always behave as you thought they should if they really believed in the God they claimed to believe in.
Look at how indignant your reply is, as if how dare I dare question what family members claim.

Yes, I listened to their claims and somehow as a child I had some talent at natural skepticism and had doubts. It wasn't that I made an immediate judgment, it took years of observations and observing hypocrisy. Some members claimed one thing and behaved another way. The more they claimed things aboit God the more I could test these claims for myself. This is not unusual for atheists, but i can understand how theists don't understand this experience.
And that was that. You decided there is no God and your family members are all just fooling themselves and each other, and are all the worse for it.
False. I've never "decided there is no God". I have never really been convinced any of the many versions I have been exposed to are true and accurate. I assert my intellectual authority to question anything, even popular ideas that others pressure me to adopt. Heck, even you reject many of the details of theists, namely creationists. So you understand that intellect can lead to rejecting claims that lack evidence and coherence.

It wasn't until I was in my 30's that I started studying theology and philosophy, and asking more questions to theists on this new thing called the internet, and AOL. The more I experienced debate, and assessed the claims by theists the more their belief in gods were recognized as cultural, social, emotional, and unconscious. From there I studied psychology because that is where the explanation for belief in irrational ideas could be answered.
And now you want me to "respect" this rather arrogant and uninformed judgmentalism that you've adopted as you now aim it at all theists, everywhere, including even me.
Hahaha. Typical you. How dare I be judgmental, that's your job.

Do you ever stop and think if your post is reactionary and hypocritical?
What does this story reveal about YOU, do you think?
That I am another atheist that gets under your skin for being honest. I will continue to be honest.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That really doesn't explain anything about it.
Good, because I wasn't trying to do so.
You associate good feelings with love. Love takes on good and bad feelings and emotions are responses too love. Of course there are different kinds of love that people base on their feelings, but that is superficial to base it on. There are qualities of love and being that people base their relationships off of. Things like values and virtues. These extend way beyond emotions in my experience.
There are different kinds of love, like agape love and romatic love. Both are emotions and need intelligence to express and manage.

Now you bring up values and virtues. More intellectually compex ideas. Of course they go beyond emotions, but I suggest more values and virtues have a pragmatic basis that comes from experience, and even emotions. For the average person empathy is normal so these will be reflected in values. The Golden Rule exists in many ancient civilizations and it is there because it was a rule that helped sustain social contracts. It wasn't an idea that was conjured intellectually and written down to follow, but an innate behavior that was recognized as valuable and then codified.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Good, because I wasn't trying to do so.

There are different kinds of love, like agape love and romatic love. Both are emotions and need intelligence to express and manage.

Now you bring up values and virtues. More intellectually compex ideas. Of course they go beyond emotions, but I suggest more values and virtues have a pragmatic basis that comes from experience, and even emotions. For the average person empathy is normal so these will be reflected in values. The Golden Rule exists in many ancient civilizations and it is there because it was a rule that helped sustain social contracts. It wasn't an idea that was conjured intellectually and written down to follow, but an innate behavior that was recognized as valuable and then codified.
For me emotions are effects and the qualities/ or lack thereof are the causes. I've avoided many of wasteful emotions by choosing better attitudes, focuses, appreciations and recognizing limitations of what I could control.

Being emotionally driven can be extremely unreliable. There are times I've checked out of emotions for a logical attitude. So the capacity to forego emotions and being proactive about finding the best available outcomes has been crucial for me. I've sought the best possible understandings, and have tried to operate more on objectivity and reason. Therefore the objectivity, understanding were more prominent than the emotions. I've come to a point where I can choose not to feel a bad situation and just operate on my sense of reason. Now I realize the need to feel emotions and just be with those. However I choose my emotions in the best possible light, and some emotions are just a complete waste of time so I don't even in go into those.

So my spiritual understanding is one of qualities over emotions. As far as religion is concerned I don't buy into about 90% of it. I'd be better off with a dictionary than a holy book. Of course religion is something that dominated my upbringing, and I always had to reason with people's beliefs and convictions from faith.

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
Are you suggesting that it's actually unscrupulous theists posing as atheists?
I'm suggesting that often atheists don't seem to realize what the position of being atheist actually entails.
I suspect you are conflating beliefs with the word position.
I don't think so, one can certainly take up a particular position concerning a particular subject but taking any particular position on a subject entails having some sort of belief concerning the subject. For instance if one would ask me about the, oft used to prove a point, unicorns existence I would either be in a position to present my beliefs and reasonings on the matter of their existence or non-existence or If I did not know what you meant by "unicorn" I would have to remain in a position of non participation until I were educated on what was meant by "unicorn" after which I would be able to state my position. Once I have a position though - be it "Yes.", "No.", or "I don't know." one of necessity has to have beliefs concerning the subject....Yes, because I have had personal experience, or No, because people can be deluded, or I don't know because I haven't evidence which leans me towards either yes or no. If there is no "because" behind your answer then it is without foundation and meaningless. Because = Belief. True belief or false belief but we fool ourselves if we believe we can "think" about a subject without consideration of a foundation of pre-existent beliefs.
One cannot take up an engaged position on anything without fundamentally referring to ones current beliefs.
Atheists do have a position on the many, many god concepts in human history, but knowing about these many ideas doesn't impy there is some personal belief about them.
I believe the "position" you speak of here is a condition. Atheists have to be in a condition of knowing what is meant by the terms being used. In Atheists case it is "god" - its in the definition of Atheist so atheists must have knowledge of the subject. They are then in the condition of having knowledge of the term but this does not equate to knowledge of reality. By reality here I mean the reality of what belief is being debated.
For that Atheists need to be in a position of belief based on their condition of knowledge. To have no belief on a subject is to be in a condition of ignorance of that subject who's position on that subject will reflect that condition. (If I have no belief, I have nothing to say, no thought to apply to the subject).
I think we all know though that Atheists have plenty to say and they do.
I also think that its absurd to believe that Atheists who have plenty to say do not say it from a position of personal belief.
Otherwise I'd have to believe all atheists are passionless robots.
I see some theists try to impose some belief onto atheists as a tactic to switch the burden of proof.
So I've heard time and time again from atheists. Its ridiculous on both sides to think that anyone can prove anything. No one can definitively prove anything. Science has shown this for quite some time.
By saying this your hypocritically trying to solidify your own position by pressing onto the opposition what you know very well is an impossibility to begin with. Atheists tell theists to prove God exists and theists tell atheists to prove it doesn't. Both these requests are absurd and a waste of time.
I will say that theists one up atheists in at least acknowledging what they believe to be true while atheists seem to be mostly busy with convincing themselves and others that they believe nothing.
After all one doesn't have to expend energy defending a belief one doesn't even have. Which makes me wonder what it is the atheists on here are expending their time and energy on? Having no belief? At least theists attempt to give evidence for their beliefs. Atheists however make a claim which cannot realistically hold water which is that they can think about a subject and offer counter evidence all without having any belief whatsoever concerning the subject matter.
I see some Atheists as trying to say they have no beliefs as a tactic to avoid engaging theists on an equal footing. They wish to imply that theists are in a valley of ignorance while they are basking in the glorious sunshine on a mountain top.

By your way of thinking you have beliefs about the Easter Bunny, and would that imply it exists or is a plausible thing since you give the idea attention?
I certainly do have beliefs about the Easter Bunny but of course that is contingent upon what you mean by Easter Bunny. An idea? A living creature with certain physiological traits? A particular creature of particular purpose? My beliefs would naturally include to where or if we can trace its origins and what that origin has to say about itself in comparison to my experiences and pre-existent beliefs about known reality, etc.
But I cannot formulate a belief on whether or not the Easter Bunny exists or doesn't exist as someone describes the Easter Bunny to be unless I first "entertain" the idea as potentially plausible. For or against its existence the natural inclination is to take up a position based upon our evolved foundational and propositional beliefs.
If I don't formulate a belief about such things then I cannot engage in productive thought about such things. We all engage in debate with axiomatic beliefs which are themselves molded and or modified based upon our pre-existent beliefs in a feedback loop.

The more relatable the proposition is to our pre existent evolving belief systems about reality the firmer our beliefs about that proposition becomes - Yes I believe it exists or No I believe it doesn't exist.
The further from relatable to our pre existent belief systems the closer to not being able to engage in thought on the matter the proposition becomes - we are left in a state of ignorance, "I don't know?" A state which cannot engage in meaningful discussion.
Here you seem to be confusing and conflating the meanings of belief and knowledge.
Not at all in consideration of how I am using the terms. However, perhaps you are using the terms differently.
Knowledge is being aware of the data that you possess. (Definitions, quantized information, statements, etc.) Strip away the self awareness of that knowledge and you are little more than a computer which holds a certain amount of data.
In that case you could hold all the data in the universe but still be ignorant of its applicability to anything.
Belief is being aware of what that data may be applied to. Often in unique ways.
Both can be less than accurate.
In the above sense atheists can claim all the knowledge they wish but without a belief concerning that knowledge, without applying a meaning to the data, they would remain impotent with its applicability and thus could not engage in meaningful debate. Once you apply meaning to interpretive data, you've implemented a belief.
Notice that atheists are responding to other people making claims.
With claims of there own. That is...I'm claiming that your claim has not been proven and needs to be proven in order to be true.
It hardly matters who first claimed what. No claim can be made, no counterclaim about that claim can be made, without a belief.
Discourse has to begin somewhere, and religious debates tend to begin with an ffoirmative claim that some sort of God exists, or the like.
Ok, I can't disagree with your assessment here. Hence what I said above. Discourse does have to begin somewhere and it hardly matters who begins it. I've yet to run into a theist who ceases the debate and declares victory with the simple declaration of "I believe God exists!" end of story. There is typically an evolving story behind that belief and there is typically an evolving story behind atheistic belief. In light of presented interpretive evidences what side of the fence one leans to is often a reflection of who the person has evolved to become given their experiences and biological dispositions.
Atheists are ready to challenge what the religious claimants say.
As they should. But they can hardly challenge a claim without making claims of their own.
What strikes me about posts like this is what is the ulterior motive in these sentences. They come across as factual and overt, but the word use reveals something else.
We all have ulterior motives in the sense that not all our motives are apparent to each other at once not even to ourselves. Sometimes motives have to be unintentionally revealed. I say unintentionally because I'm unaware if I have any subconscious or hidden motives here other than to debate the issues presented...
That is, the OP's original question was asked of Atheists who for all intents and purposes shouldn't be able to make any statements concerning such a question if we are to believe atheists claims to have no beliefs concerning such matters.

setarcos

That's what basic atheism is -- deferral of belief, pending evidence.
We can equivocate tell heck wont have it on what atheism is. We might look up the entomology of the word and see that originally the word literally means "without god" or "godless". That my friend is not a deferral of belief. That is a testament of belief. A deferral of belief would be akin to saying "I don't know." Closer to agnosticism than having the position of having no belief.
But lets imagine that over the years atheists got into arguments with theists over the existence or non-existence of God and they didn't like wasting their energy defending their position. A position they thought was true. So they simply reformulated the word to claimed that to be an atheist is to have no position. To have no belief. That way they wouldn't have to defend anything. They could leave it up to the theists to do all the defending. I don't know if that's how we came to the modern atheist claim of having no belief concerning God but hey - sounds plausible to me.
Either way...we are left with what is evidenced or not. The thing is in contradiction to what many atheists state on here, many theists do defend their position with evidence. The problem is that the evidence is interpretable not provably applicable to showing what is truth.
Even our current scientific models of reality are interpretable models. Quantum mechanics for instance has at least 4 theoretical interpretations of experimental results. As I've said elsewhere. Because the evidence is interpretable it often comes down to what the person wants to or has evolved to believe to be true as to how to interpret the evidence. Their choice describes more about the person than it does about reality given our current understanding.
It's the logical rejection of a proposal that has not met its burden of proof.
This is a fundamental mistake that a lot of people seem to be making. There is no proof. Given our species current state of being there can never be any definitive proof Unless God, if it exists, chooses to reveal itself to those that have yet to receive proof.
Not even our best scientific theories can be proven true. That's why they are only theories and will remain so. They are models of speculations about reality. They are not that reality.
We don't disbelieve, so much as lack belief.
To lack belief in Gods existence is epistemologically equivalent to believing God does not exist. Even if one defers to stating "I don't know" one still believes that one hasn't adequate knowledge to decide either way. Yes, No, or I don't know is not statements available to someone who has no belief concerning the subject what so ever.
We lack belief for the same reason you lack belief in unicorns.
IF I lack belief in unicorns its because I believe they do not exist given the current state of my knowledge.
We just discuss their justifications, empirical methodology, and logical soundness of their conclusions.
As you should but what do you base your conclusions on? At best you might show how a particular theist's misguided attempt to prove Gods existence is wrong but you haven't concluded anything about Gods existence based upon that.
How do you apply your conclusions to their conclusions if you don't have a belief about your conclusions applicability to proving Gods existence when it comes to interpretive evidence?
You don't have to be an atheist to question someone's logic, etc. anyone can do that.
But by questioning a theist AS an atheist your making a statement of belief.
Of course. What else would you expect to be discussed in debate/discussion threads about the existence or nature of God?
Hmm....I guess just reread what I said above here. To steer us back to the pertinent question here...Can an atheist debate/discuss issues of Gods existence while claiming no belief concerning God? I don't think so.

Reactions: DNB

setarcos

Yes, this two-faced presentation of atheism by most contemporary atheists does get quite annoying. But keep in mind that many a religious theist can be just as wildly two-faced and hypocritical in their own proclamations and actions. It's why so many self-proclaimed atheists are so viscerally anti-religious rather than ideologically atheist.
:thumbsup:

DNB

Christian
Is it possible to know?
Of course it is - we are created in His image - how can one hide that fact?
Is there any other creature on this planet that has a spiritual dimension, like man does?
Do you think that your body, and the life and spirit within it, was manufactured by chance and circumstance - no design or deliberation???

The evidence and proof is apparent to all who are sincere in their search - only the defiant try to rationalize their way out of the obvious, leading them into absurdity - ape-man theories

DNB

Christian
If the responses on here are from actual atheists I'm very surprised since most engagements I have had with the professed atheists on these forums have inadvertently resulted in their insisting they have no beliefs concerning Gods existence. If you have no belief concerning a subject then you cannot meaningfully converse about said subject.
Most atheists I've met on here however seem to have no problem debating or professing a strong opinion on the concept while simultaneously professing having no belief concerning God.
Yes, it's quite indicting how they don't even know the difference between having a conviction or faith in something, either positive or negative, and either being unable to draw a conclusion on a matter, or not being concerned enough to investigate the issue.
An assertion, despite the verdict, is always a calculated stance.

Madsaac

No, the universe does what the universe does.

However, still not sure about what was around before the Big Bang

Madsaac

The potential of intelligence is extremely high despite the fact that many people fall below the average. The contents of consciousness have the appearance of being put together with memory, and all other capacities, especially identity self. Everything human is for to do something in the environment. I have not heard of anything that demonstrates that brain function can carry all our capacities. How does brain translate into all of that?

I think the peculiar nature of consciousness is undersold as being nothing special. Passed off as a byproduct of chemistry. The mind is a construct that serves purposes we make. I think that's intentional. Intention is intentional. Why would existence progress into anything at all beyond complex, mindless blawbr. As meagher as consciousness can be intellect is geared at achieving goals.

Even if brain function is all there is consciousness still needs further explanation. If it's all physical that means consciousness is a special arrangement and special composition and nothing more. I think that misses. All the properties of consciousness are conceived of without reference to physical properties.

I think consciousness, emotions and intelligence and just part of human evolution.

And I think any thought beyond that is just hope.....hope that there's something more.

setarcos

so I suspect there may be some confusion there.
No suspicion necessary. Many atheists seem to attempt to assure that there will be confusion.

That depends. You can take premises as granted for the purposes of a discussion without actually accepting them yourself.
Here is an example of creating obfuscation of an issue - perhaps unintentionally. Taking a premise for granted does not automatically isolate oneself from having any belief on the matter. Nor does it eliminate their own pre - formed beliefs from being brought to bare on the subject.
If we carefully read your reply here we see that "not accepting a premise" is tantamount to believing there is reason not to accept that premise.
If you do not accept a premise you must consider that premise false to begin with. Else what is it about the premise you don't accept? Its truth? Then you believe it is false. Its falsity then you believe it is true. Its proof of falsity or truth? Then you must neither accept nor deny the premise but say I don't know. Any case here requires a belief in something which initiated your choice.
Now, I do this all the time. I take as axiomatic that a premise is true or false whatever the argument requires and then attempt to argue to a true conclusion. In other words I am arguing from ignorance to hoped for enlightenment.
But that enlightenment can take one of two forms dependent upon the argument.
1) The enlightenment is about the argument itself in relation to the framework created by taking a premise as granted. Or
2) The enlightenment is about the primary premise which has been axiomatically taken for granted.
The first is an argument of logical consistency within the framework produced by taking a premise for granted. Is the argument self consistent within its originating framework?
The second is an argument from reductio ad absurdum. Does the argument reduce the claim to absurdity or contradiction?
For example...
I often argue scripture by taking the existence of Its God as axiomatic. Since God cannot as yet be proven to exist or not exist. (1).
I often argue the evidence for the possibility of God existing via (2).
My point here is that in either case one must approach the arguments accompanied with the baggage of pre - existent beliefs about what is applicable, what is arguable, and what is possible to resolve. Even "I don't know" is a declaration of belief.
I suspect more confusion here
I suspect not on the side of theists this time. We know a belief when we see one expressed.
since a lot of the debate is on the "meta" questions that are one step removed from the question of some god's existence. For instance, arguing about whether an argument for some god is sound doesn't require any particular position on the god itself.
Atheists and admittedly a lot of theists have to get away from arguments for or against the existence of God. As I've said before, given the metaphysical nature of fundamental reality we can never have proof of such things unless God - providing it does exist - provides the proof to us.
Good/wise theists argue evidence that shows the likelihood that the hope and faith that is within them is not proven to be in vain not that their faith is proven to be fact.
There is faith and reason, and then there is logical consistency within that faith.

Yerda

Veteran Member
The evidence and proof is apparent to all who are sincere in their search - only the defiant try to rationalize their way out of the obvious, leading them into absurdity - ape-man theories
What evidence?