• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: does God exist?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I lean more on the agnostic side of "agnostic atheist." If god/gods exist, none of the religions or spiritual paths I've seen seem to have any more insight than any others on the matter. Given that's the case, I don't accept any version until something more concrete comes along. We'll see

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
No one has any worthwhile answer as to why living intellect should arise in nature. So perhaps there is an eternal foundation of pure non living intelligence with a living source. Life is quite a mystery!

The supernatural and God might as well not exist for all those ideas do and don't do. I'm totally unconvinced that any God exists. Life however probably has an eternal existence beyond what the senses can reveal.

Benevolence, justice, and life sufficiency is NOT a part of our universe. God is a blind conception invented to solve a mystery, and a response to existential dread. It's also a political ploy to control people.

F1fan

Veteran Member
No one has any worthwhile answer as to why living intellect should arise in nature.
Sure they do. Intelligence is just a function of brains. Creationists like to inflate human levels of intelligence to a degree that it doesn't seem natural. Let's note that a person with a 60 IQ has intelligence, but won't be able to live independently without help.

Creationists suggest what? That a creator God exists and it caused things? Well, if this is what creationists insist caused intelligence why did the God also create cancers? It's completely incoherent and inconsistent.
So perhaps there is an eternal foundation of pure non living intelligence with a living source. Life is quite a mystery!
How does "non living intelliegnce" work? How is it plausible? I think we give these ideas way too much attention.
The supernatural and God might as well not exist for all those ideas do and don't do. I'm totally unconvinced that any God exists. Life however probably has an eternal existence beyond what the senses can reveal.
The chemistry isn't all that magical. I think the wonder we "see" is just our own minds seeking significance in an indifferent universe, and we project our insecurities onto nature.
Benevolence, justice, and life sufficiency is NOT a part of our universe. God is a blind conception invented to solve a mystery, and a response to existential dread. It's also a political ploy to control people.
Agreed.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Sure they do. Intelligence is just a function of brains. Creationists like to inflate human levels of intelligence to a degree that it doesn't seem natural. Let's note that a person with a 60 IQ has intelligence, but won't be able to live independently without help.
The potential of intelligence is extremely high despite the fact that many people fall below the average. The contents of consciousness have the appearance of being put together with memory, and all other capacities, especially identity self. Everything human is for to do something in the environment. I have not heard of anything that demonstrates that brain function can carry all our capacities. How does brain translate into all of that?

I think the peculiar nature of consciousness is undersold as being nothing special. Passed off as a byproduct of chemistry. The mind is a construct that serves purposes we make. I think that's intentional. Intention is intentional. Why would existence progress into anything at all beyond complex, mindless blawbr. As meagher as consciousness can be intellect is geared at achieving goals.

Even if brain function is all there is consciousness still needs further explanation. If it's all physical that means consciousness is a special arrangement and special composition and nothing more. I think that misses. All the properties of consciousness are conceived of without reference to physical properties.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm totally unconvinced that any God exists. Life however probably has an eternal existence beyond what the senses can reveal.
I am glad you believe that this life is not the end. I believe there is another life much better than this life after this life ends.

DNB

Christian
God does exist, and all humans are created in His image - spiritual beings.
The utter oblivion of the atheist is appalling.

PureX

Veteran Member
Note to atheists ... no one is asking you what you don't believe. No one cares what you don't believe. The OP is asking you what you think/believe ... what your position is on the existence of God. "Yes", "no", or "I don't know" would be sufficient, and simple enough. No one is asking what is someone else's position but that you don't agree with and is NOT your position.

For some strange reason many of you can't seem to resist telling us what you don't think or believe, instead of what you do.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is it possible to know?

IMO, if we're clear on the specific god in question, it's just as possible to know that God doesn't exist as it is that any other thing doesn't exist.

There's always issues like the "brain in a vat" problem and the limits of inductive reasoning, but I don't think that there are any special considerations for gods that we would have to worry about.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Note to atheists ... no one is asking you what you don't believe. No one cares what you don't believe. The OP is asking you what you think/believe ... what your position is on the existence of God. "Yes", "no", or "I don't know" would be sufficient, and simple enough. No one is asking what is someone else's position but that you don't agree with and is NOT your position.

For some strange reason many of you can't seem to resist telling us what you don't think or believe, instead of what you do.
Can we have one thread without this, please?