• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists Do It Better

Professor of psychology Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi

And why should i listen to him?

profiled a likely atheist to be this person - “We can say that atheists show themselves to be less authoritarian

Bull crap

and suggestible, less dogmatic, less prejudiced, more tolerant of others, law-abiding, compassionate, conscientious, and well-educated. They are of high intelligence, and many are committed to the intellectual and scholarly life.”

All.....bull crap

1. HAPPINESS
Scandinavian countries tend to be the least religious countries of the Western world and yet are consistently ranked the highest in the polls that measure a happiness index.

That sounds way over simplified. And i thought atheists wer more intelligent? Ya right, give me a break.

2. INTELLIGENCE
Atheists tend to have higher IQs

Bull crap. Prove it!

3. BETTER JOBS
This follows from the previous reason - more intelligent people tend to do better in the workplace.

Absolute lunacy!

4. SELF-ESTEEM & SELF-RELIANCE
These are two sides of the same coin. Atheists are not being told that they are guilty and sinful, as is the case with many religious teachings.

5. PROGRESS
Atheists tend to value scientific discovery more

6. HEALTH
Atheists believe in science and would not stand in the way of medical treatments on religious grounds.

7. PEACEFULNESS
Atheists do not start wars or commit acts of terrorism for religious reasons, just to prove their deity is the correct one.

All oversimplified and bull.

8. SCEPTICISM
Atheists are generally skeptical and tend to look at issues from a rational, often scientific standpoint that demands proof.

Atheists are scedoskeptics, every single one that educates themselves anyway.

9. SOCIAL ISSUES
Atheists tend to be very involved in social justice issues.

Incredable. No religious people do that huh? Bat **** crazy list. Made from some mad psychologist.

10. BETTER SEX
It wouldn't be a worthwhile list if it didn't talk about sex. There have been studies that showed atheists having better sex lives than religious people simply due to not feeling guilty about it.

And more bull crap.

10 Reasons Atheists Do It Better

Biggest benefit of being an atheist is in not having to justify your life or choices according to some relic of a book.

The biggest lack of benefit to being an atheist is in not having to justify this abhorrent, rediculious post by the relic of my rational!

Not to be too serious but, I never understood the "benefits" of religious belief or really what benefits religion might provide which couldn't be easily obtained without religious belief.

The benefits are morals, spirituality, intelligence, unlike the OP.

atanu

Premium Member
The vast majority of the self is hidden away from rational thinking.

Yes and much more. Rational mind has not only no way to know the state when brain perpetually issues gamma waves but it has no means to know the Being, who has all these states.

The parameters enumerated in the OP are superficial in this context.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets look at the definition...

Definition of hypocrite
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

No virtue, no religion, no beliefs. I suppose it might still be possible but I suspect it'd be really hard.

Nah, atheists are hypocritical all the time. Atheism, on the other hand, can't be.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, I agree. Atheists are as likely to run the gamut of human nature as anyone else. Unfortunately though nobody trusts an atheist, even though they are as likely to be as trustworthy as anyone.

Countries...mine included...have democratically elected atheist leaders.
I think your comment here only applies to some parts of the world.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Several have claimed that atheism is a religion.
The virtue is being able to deal directly with folks without having to judge them according to antiquated moral concepts.

If atheism is NOT a religion as every atheist claims, "what the heck are they doing at Religious Forums" other than to attack, assault and deny? It can't be to "learn" as that would involve being silent, and learning! ;)

You should stop pussyfooting around,
& tell us what you really think.

I think the OP has grossly oversimplified how complicated the population of religious and atheist groups are.

But, thats not what angers me the most about it, what angers me more is that the person who made the OP probably REALLY believes the OP list they gave, yet they think they have this superior intellect.

Thats what blows my mind the most.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the OP has grossly oversimplified how complicated the population of religious and atheist groups are.

But, thats not what angers me the most about it, what angers me more is that the person who made the OP probably REALLY believes the OP list they gave, yet they think they have this superior intellect.

Thats what blows my mind the most.
You came to RF even before I did.
By now, you should be amused (not angered) by the endless
attempts of posters in one group claiming superiority over others.
But one thing you can count on....we are prettier.

I should be amused, yes, not angered. But, i think the anger is there because this same lack of intelligence is why the world, in how its run, also is. And its just one more constant, but aggitating reminder of how rediculious the whole world is.

No wonder the world is a mess, we got too many unintelligent people in it, thinking there smart. And they dont want to be accountable.

When you say atheists are pretier, what do you mean?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I should be amused, yes, not angered. But, i think the anger is there because this same lack of intelligence is why the world, in how its run, also is. And its just one more constant, but aggitating reminder of how rediculious the whole world is.

No wonder the world is a mess, we got too many unintelligent people in it, thinking there smart. And they dont want to be accountable.
Intelligence seems adequate, despite 90% of people being below average.
The problem is how they use what they have.
Dysfunctional values.
When you say atheists are pretier, what do you mean?
We atheists are so good looking.
Jerry Seinfeld said it so well....

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member

You like shining in reflected glory.

dianaiad

However if you don't do wrong, nothing to feel guilt about right?

Are you claiming that you have never done anything wrong? That is, that you have never done anything that violates your personal ethical code?

You are unique, if so. Congratulations, if so.

I look at it differently, I don't intent to do wrong. My intention is to do the right thing to the best of my ability. However if I do something "wrong", it's not really my fault since my intent was to do the right thing. I didn't know enough, wasn't smart enough, basically wasn't able at the time to do the right thing. So you can't really blame me for not doing something I was not capable of doing.

I see. "the devil made me do it" defense. (grin...sorry about that. Couldn't resist...should have, intended to, but, er, just couldn't.)

On the other hand, if I intended to do "wrong" then it's what I wanted to do, for whatever nefarious reason, what's there to feel guilt about in doing what I intended to do?

Because whatever it was you did was against your personal ethical code? Just asking, not accusing.

Honestly, I agree. Atheists are as likely to run the gamut of human nature as anyone else. Unfortunately though nobody trusts an atheist, even though they are as likely to be as trustworthy as anyone.

I don't have a problem trusting an atheist. Whether one's personal ethical code is based upon a theistic belief system, or a personal conviction...perhaps 'humanism,' or just 'enlightened self interest,' one can generally trust the honor of those who hold to that personal code. I mean, really; if I thought that one could only trust those who claimed one's OWN specific code of ethics/morals, one couldn't trust anybody at all. Honor is honor.

(added thought) Y'know, an 'honorable atheist' is probably more to be trusted than a theist who claims to be faithful, but only has honor because s/he's afraid of the eternal consequences of not being honorable. Any honorable person bases his or her honor upon a personal conviction of right and wrong as compared to a belief system, quite apart from possible consequences; doing the 'right' thing regardless of possible consequences, and willing to accept the consequences of being 'honorable,' even if they seem to be negative.

OK, that was fuzzy, but I hope the reader can figure out what I just wrote.

What are you talking about? Of course they did. :rolleyes:

:)

Last edited: