• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists Do It Better

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes thats how you appear to come across, i dont think its deliberate but you seem to consider other views as dogmatic and intolerant, which is kind of funny.

Any judgement on my part is based solely on the content of your posts. I find nothing objectionable in your posts but typical of a subset of religious believers.

It is no assumption of the religious i have encountered it is experience. Perhaps i deliberately pick them out but most certainly most of those i have encountered claim proof.

You are not rude in any way that i can see. I hope i am not also but i do now i can be cutting and to the point.

Of course they do, they shun magic in order to glorify their god, the fact remains that creating a human being from dust can be explained no other way. And why did god create science thousands, millions or billions (depending on your view) after he crated man from dust?

The claim of proof is usually followed by just look at the world around you, or similar. It is far from proof but they will not admit it.

Nope, it is proselytising, and yes it is like that. I have been threatend, my family, my children have been threatened because i would not accept proselytising. When someone threatens my children i do not wait to see if they mean it or not, they are judged on their abuse.

If you encounter hate speech then report it.

There is a difference between us, you say you give people a second chance. I have learned a persons personality goes with the person. If they engage in hate speech etc it is for sure they will again. This is not pre-judging, it is judging based on experience.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm sorry I come across the way I do to you. I'll try to do better.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
have you seen?....I Q and the workplace as reported by Jordan Peterson

if the atheist is moving up in the world....doing it better

then they are in charge and are the source of the problem

Not really enough atheists to go around. Get back to me after we've elected our first atheist president.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's not surprising to see.

Nobody to tell you how terrible and wretched a person you are.

Nobody to prompt you to go forcibly against ones natural Human Nature that causes one to go bat**** crazy in attempts to remain in compliance with even crazier doctrinal restrictions.

Nobody to tell you you need to be saved over some inherited and contagious invented disease or condition called sin of which people don't even have the foggiest idea of what exactly sin is.

No need to waste time in a room full of people were you have to stand up sing a song sit down listen to sermon stand up sing a song sit down put money in plate stand up sing a song sit down just to be told to stand up and say a prayer sit down listen to closing statement stand up sing a song sit down and then everybody rushes out of church and runs to the bar.

The truth will set you free. :cool:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If you encounter hate speech then report it.
Generally speaking, when a person engages in hate speech it is a sign of weakness in their argument. So, when a person does this, I don't feel obligated to report them. It doesn't offend me, personally. It discredits the speaker.

If other people are offended by it, then they can report it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well... I'll let you tell them that :)

But seriously, I don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive. I think a person can be an Atheist and accidentally fall into the trap of being hypocritical.

Lets look at the definition...

Definition of hypocrite
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

No virtue, no religion, no beliefs. I suppose it might still be possible but I suspect it'd be really hard.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Lets look at the definition...

Definition of hypocrite
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

No virtue, no religion, no beliefs. I suppose it might still be possible but I suspect it'd be really hard.
What do you mean?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What do you mean?

So an atheist believes, feels there is no God. So I suppose if in a foxhole, an atheist started praying, that make them a hypocrite. Claiming to be a atheist and going to church. :eek: Hypocrite!

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
So an atheist believes, feels there is no God. So I suppose if in a foxhole, an atheist started praying, that make them a hypocrite. Claiming to be a atheist and going to church. :eek: Hypocrite!
OK. That makes sense. Can I take it one step further and get your feedback?

If an Atheist claims to value Facts over beliefs, and then ignores Facts in favor of beliefs, that is hypocritical.

Correct?

sealchan

As you say, it's not exclusive to believers. I'm looking for some unique benefit that believers have.

Uniqueness is hard to isolate when speaking of participants in religions in general. In some religions atheism is an included perspective after all.

Maybe you mean to specify the average Christian Church-goer?

A theme I keep realizing these days is that we all have so much more in common than we do in differences. The degree of disagreement or even mutual mistrust and ill-feeling doesn't change this fact in the least.

I wonder if this study is objectively true that I could be argued that the world's religions were vital in the process of creating cultures that became so successful that a belief in God diminished due to a relative lack of stressors that religion used to help us individually and collectively manage. So in a sense, now that the great need for religion as we know it is waning...we have the signs of success such as a proliferation of smart, happy, compassionate, safe, secure people even questioning assumptions from the past and not understanding the deep need for psychological safety that still drives millions into faith.

Now there is an ever growing class of people who are super-privileged in great part due to the efforts of generations from the past who struggled to incrementally create a more peaceful, safe and prosperous world and held onto unprovable beliefs as a sort of guiding light in order to accomplish that. Now comes the deep irony of those who stand in within that monument of effort and fail to see how it was inspired and accomplished.

Not that I can blame one for seeing the obvious evil side of organized and especially politically powerful religious faith. My own greatest concerns arise from this aspect of our current culture. But, at the same time, I think it is a bit naive and even disengenuous to talk about religious belief as some sort of hard to fathom aspect of human culture when it is so clearly a deep and long-lasting aspect of human culture.

I think Daniel Dennett's approach is much better...
Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon - Wikipedia

If we find it hard to understand why we continue to have these unprovable beliefs then perhaps we should sincerely study the history and development and the roles such beliefs have played historically and we will have learned something important and true about ourselves and our history and then we can better understand how to substitute better ways to accomplish those needs than what traditional religions seem to offer with overwhelmingly bad side-effects (willful ignorance, prejudice, etc.).

Also William James set an early precedent for understanding religion from a scientific point of view...
The Varieties of Religious Experience - Wikipedia

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I'll put it this way, only my last comment I have any serious position on. The rest, I just presented the article for discussion. IMO it's kind of silly to try and characterize atheists as anything specific.

Good. I agree.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There's studies provided in the article. The article is a bit more self critical than I make it out to be.

Hmm...for some points.
I think I'll just take it as a light-hearted fluff piece. Not to say it's wrong on all counts, it's just a massive over-generalisation.

It also forgot to mention that atheists are universally better looking.

atanu

Premium Member
Not to be too serious but, I never understood the "benefits" of religious belief or really what benefits religion might provide which couldn't be easily obtained without religious belief.

Could that be because dogmatism does not see the alternative view?:D

sealchan

Generally speaking, when a person engages in hate speech it is a sign of weakness in their argument. So, when a person does this, I don't feel obligated to report them. It doesn't offend me, personally. It discredits the speaker.

If other people are offended by it, then they can report it.

If the person who uses hate speech appears to be in a rational enough state of mind, then you should reflect that back to them. I'll be willing to bet that it does offend you but not as a member of the class the speech is targeting. Those that are hated need those who are not to help defend them when they are too intimidated to defend themselves.

Of course if the person is red-faced and irrational, one should be cautious in confronting them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
OK. That makes sense. Can I take it one step further and get your feedback?

If an Atheist claims to value Facts over beliefs, and then ignores Facts in favor of beliefs, that is hypocritical.

Correct?

I suspect more likely it makes them a liar. Although IMO, calling something a fact doesn't make it a fact. Sometimes a fact is just a popular belief.

atanu

Premium Member
Atheism is the alternate view, well IMO. May not be the case for all atheists.

In my understanding, “I am this body” is the default notion for most people. When one gets clue that waking bodies and dream bodies are equally transient, the so-called traditional measures of well being (as enumerated in the OP) lose meaning.

Empirical sciences really cannot plumb the depth of that alternative knowledge.

Superhumans: The remarkable brain waves of high-level meditators

Theism-atheism dichotomy is an example of the superficial understanding.