• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I love how this thread has turned from a science vs. religion debate to a joke thread about ignoring people. Should the mods move this thread to the joke section?

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I love how this thread has turned from a science vs. religion debate to a joke thread about ignoring people. Should the mods move this thread to the joke section?
I see your point, but I don't think it was a science vs. religion thread to begin with. The claims about science that were the basis of the thread were largely erroneous and more fitting of straw man versions that have long been the routine of science deniers. It seems to me to be largely contrived to poke fun at anyone accepting science coming from those unfamiliar with science. Then turned into a more jovial discussion of actual science and discussions of closed and open systems and physics. I've learned a few things and enjoyed it. No joke.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

I figured with the smilies in the OP and throughout the ongoing replies it was meant as a joke (should have checked where I was I guess). No disrespect to you meant.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Again, for non-bots:

If atheists don't believe that "things that exist came out of nothing in a miraculous way, obeying some natural laws that emerged out of nowhere, by themselves." ... then what they believe about it?
Entropy and the second law of thermodynamics.

Pogo

Entropy and the second law of thermodynamics.
Yes we understand entropy and thermodynamics, we just don't believe in miracles and with lots of possibilities for what came before the big bang if anything we accept that we don't know and it doesn't even really matter.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes we understand entropy and thermodynamics, we just don't believe in miracles and with lots of possibilities for what came before the big bang if anything we accept that we don't know and it doesn't even really matter.
I'd say your correct.

We won't live long enough as humans anyways.

Everything we ever learn and know will eventually be lost and destroyed.

We Never Know

No Slack

"with lots of possibilities for what came before the big bang"

Oh geez. Now ya done it.

Next to follow..
There is no before
There is no pre
There is no north of north
Etc etc.

Tomef

It seems contradictory, but if you see it from this perspective you will understand:

A believer considers miracles to be the result of a display of knowledge and power on the part of a conscious person.
An atheist believes that things that exist came out of nothing in a miraculous way, obeying some natural laws that emerged out of nowhere, by themselves.

So who is the one who believes in miracles? ;)
You don’t understand even your own words - why should anyone take you seriously? To make any of your threads worthwhile, you’d first need to get a basic education. Then you might have something to say that has some relevance to the subjects you start threads about.

Pogo

"with lots of possibilities for what came before the big bang"

Oh geez. Now ya done it.

Next to follow..
There is no before
There is no pre
There is no north of north
Etc etc.
Those are some of them in simple terms and there are quite a few more, the problem is mostly that there is no way to test any of them at present and may never be so, we accept "we don't know" and keep looking.

It is the honest answer and better than making up more stories based on ancient stories.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A universe from nothing is only one of several (i know of 32) hypothesis for how the bb happened. As far as i know only 2 suggest a universe from nothing.
It's rather quite fun to ponder how big is the biggest stuff out there, especially as it seems this universe may not be the totality of everything that exists.
And on the flip side what is the smallest thing in all of existence? Growing up it was the protons, neutrons and electrons of an atom, and that had been proven wrong at least a few times over since.
Whatever it is, i often wonder if the universe is like a cell of multicellular organism.

Pogo

It's rather quite fun to ponder how big is the biggest stuff out there, especially as it seems this universe may not be the totality of everything that exists.
And on the flip side what is the smallest thing in all of existence? Growing up it was the protons, neutrons and electrons of an atom, and that had been proven wrong at least a few times over since.
Whatever it is, i often wonder if the universe is like a cell of multicellular organism.
Way more amazing than dogmatic repetition of old stories that literally don't even make sense.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Way more amazing than dogmatic repetition of old stories that literally don't even make sense.
Literally don't make sense? I find many of those old stories quite fascinating for many reasons. Like the Old Testament. Humans arguing with and challenging their god often make for interesting stories. And when we get into details we can learn things like how Joseph was rather effeminate and did some crossdressing as his cloak of many colors is the same style of cloak David got for his daughter, a cloak commonly worn by young, virgin women.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Or a basic understanding of cosmology.

So what you are saying that natural forces cannot make a universe out of nothing. But a god, for which there is no evidence for its existence can make a universe out of nothing. ?
It requires just as much belief to embrace the dogma of cosmology as it does to embrace the dogma of a creator, generally speaking. Speaking from within the two frameworks, not from without. I don't understand the passion with which these are made to be in opposition to one another. I really don't.

But I'd love to hear the latest theories that cosmology throws at the question of origins and catalyzing mechanisms.

Pogo

Literally don't make sense? I find many of those old stories quite fascinating for many reasons. Like the Old Testament. Humans arguing with and challenging their god often make for interesting stories. And when we get into details we can learn things like how Joseph was rather effeminate and did some crossdressing as his cloak of many colors is the same style of cloak David got for his daughter, a cloak commonly worn by young, virgin women.
An interesting non-literal take. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Professora Amdre Linde and Vitaly Vanchurin calculated the number of all possible universes, to be about 10^10^16 that humans would recognise as universes and around twice that many that we would not recognise.

That's big numbers but infinity is a big place ;-)

Ajax

Obviously, with God there is no magic or miracles, since He acts out of superior knowledge and power that human beings do not have. Instead of "miracles" I would use the expression "mighty works." It's like using technologies so advanced that modern humans cannot understand...
And how are you certain of what you wrote? Intuition?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I tried to explain things to my wife, she would just give up and say "Its Physics" She could speak 4-5 languages but none of them were related to physics.
Been there.
Done that.
Learned to rein meself in.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not saying I don't believe in them, but what constitutes a miracle and how does a person know if some event is or isn't a miracle? Many of the believers that I encounter here seem to know without being able to explain how they know. It is as much as my questions about how they know about demons and possession. They can't answer the questions so they do what I have come to find is the normal literalist reaction. Attack the questioner and follow them around making snide comments trying to dissect the questioners beliefs to nullify them and stop them from asking other questions they can't answer.