• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists are more pro-life than Christians

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Go back and re-read all my posts. How often do I have to say it
ABORTION SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE LAST RESORT.
OK, do you understand now? I am not promoting abortion, just not removing it as an option.
Which doesn't work. It's either legal or not. If it is, we know that most will be solely for convenience.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
No, but a unborn baby has it's own body. He has a right to be born.
Not at a cost of the bodily autonomy of another.

If I was dying of kidney failure and needed your kidney, I cannot simply knock you out and take your kidney. You have a right to deny me the use of your kidney, even if to do so would kill me. Your right to the use and protection of your own body outweighs my right to life.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I look for agreement with those I debate, unfortunately, I cannot agree.

Capital PUNISHMENT -- expected outcome from unjust acts

Abortion of INNOCENTS -- life extinguished for those who've done nothing wrong
So you are not pro life (which was the original question you tried to deflect) because you don't care about the life of the delinquent. You are, at most, pro innocence.

But since you are now the fourth to not see hypocrisy in the different treatment of the cases, I feel better about my different treatment. It seems to come down to a value judgement. We value life and liberty, you value innocence and conformity.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not at a cost of the bodily autonomy of another.

If I was dying of kidney failure and needed your kidney, I cannot simply knock you out and take your kidney. You have a right to deny me the use of your kidney, even if to do so would kill me. Your right to the use and protection of your own body outweighs my right to life.
Dumb analogy. A baby isn't a kidney. And there's lots of potential kidney donors. There's only one person who can bring the baby to term.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Dumb analogy. A baby isn't a kidney.
You don't seem to have understood the analogy. In it, the baby isn't the kidney. The baby was myself. The kidney is a womb, if you like.

See, your argument is that abortion isn't justified because a baby has a right to life. But, surely, that logic applies to me as well. And if you believe that it is okay to force a woman to remain pregnant and give birth against her will because doing so saves a life, then it is not really a huge stretch for you to also believe it is okay for me to knock you out and take your kidney against your will if it will save my life. In both scenarios, one person is being grievously harmed, but you believe it is justified because it provides a life-saving benefit to another. Surely you must believe that my life is more important than your "convenience" of remaining conscious and having two kidneys and not having a lengthy recovery period and permanent scarring. You must necessarily believe that any action which saves a life, even if it results in significant harm against the will of another, is justified.

And there's lots of potential kidney donors. There's only one person who can bring the baby to term.
Then imagine that I needed a very specific kind of kidney and you were the only person on the planet who had one. Does that make me morally justified in taking your kidney? And what if, instead of taking it by force, I asked for it and you said no. Should you be prosecuted or forced by law to give me the kidney?

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You don't seem to have understood the analogy. In it, the baby isn't the kidney. The baby was myself. The kidney is a womb, if you like.

Then imagine that I needed a very specific kind of kidney and you were the only person on the planet who had one. Does that make me morally justified in taking your kidney? And what if, instead of taking it by force, I asked for it and you said no. Should you be prosecuted or forced by law to give me the kidney?
Lol, you still don't get it. The Baby is already alive. You have it backward. The life in danger here is the child's life, not the mother's life. What does giving a kidney to someone else have to do with it. All she has to do is let nature takes it's course.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Lol, you still don't get it. The Baby is already alive. You have it backward. The life in danger here is the child's life, not the mother's life.
Acually, both are in danger. Some pregnancies do result in the death of the mother, and even if they don't they always result in significant harm befalling the mother. Childbirth is not a simple, clean process. It has a huge physical, phsychological and emotional impact on a person, and often the consequences are lifelong.

What does giving a kidney to someone else have to do with it.
You believe it is morally justified to force a woman to remain pregnant and give birth against her will because it saves the life of another. By the same logic, I believe it is morally justified for me to knock you out and take your kidney if it saves my life. Both are instances in which the life of one individual is weighed as more important and of more moral worth than the right of another to the full use and autonomy of their own body. If you believe it is okay in one instance, you must believe it is okay in the other.

All she has to do is let nature takes it's course.
You clearly do not understand the impact that pregnancy and childbirth can have on a person.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Because more people in the world believe in God than are atheists, of course, more so-called religious people are going to be killers.
No, I said statistically they are MORE LIKELY to be killers. Even if we average out the numbers, a lower ratio of non-religious people are violent, murderous, terrorists or bigots. Statistically, being religious increases the likelihood of all of these things.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I look for agreement with those I debate, unfortunately, I cannot agree.

Capital PUNISHMENT -- expected outcome from unjust acts

Abortion of INNOCENTS -- life extinguished for those who've done nothing wrong
But we extinguish life every day, and nobody bats an eye.
How is aborting a fœtus different from killing a chicken?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Acually, both are in danger. Some pregnancies do result in the death of the mother, and even if they don't they always result in significant harm befalling the mother. Childbirth is not a simple, clean process. It has a huge physical, phsychological and emotional impact on a person, and often the consequences are lifelong.

You believe it is morally justified to force a woman to remain pregnant and give birth against her will because it saves the life of another. By the same logic, I believe it is morally justified for me to knock you out and take your kidney if it saves my life. Both are instances in which the life of one individual is weighed as more important and of more moral worth than the right of another to the full use and autonomy of their own body. If you believe it is okay in one instance, you must believe it is okay in the other.

You clearly do not understand the impact that pregnancy and childbirth can have on a person.
Hilarious! I have been present at the birth of each of my children. The impact is invariably outweighed by the rewards. Most women will choose to give birth after seeing thier child on an ultrasound.
The saving the mother myth for condoning abortion is a false one, because that's not done at an abortion clinic, and it's not what pro life people want outlawed.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you serious?
Have a drumstick with no guilt. Human life doesn't equal animal life.
Yes, I'm serious. What makes humans a special case? Is it only species that confers special rights on hominins? If so why?

Is this a religious thing?