• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists are more pro-life than Christians

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's probably impossible to fix the narrative but for too many "pro life" just means "anti abortion" and their commitment to "life' ends at birth after which they oppose what being pro-life really means.

Some will disagree but Pope Francis has spoken about what being "pro life" means. It's not about abortion separately but about concern for the poor including affordable health care to prevent early death, opposition to the death penalty and much more.

Whether you are for or against a woman's right to choose, at least he's consistent.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's probably impossible to fix the narrative but for too many "pro life" just means "anti abortion" and their commitment to "life' ends at birth after which they oppose what being pro-life really means.

Some will disagree but Pope Francis has spoken about what being "pro life" means. It's not about abortion separately but about concern for the poor including affordable health care to prevent early death, opposition to the death penalty and much more.

Whether you are for or against a woman's right to choose, at least he's consistent.

I think the problem is pro-life people are saying that the life of a child supersedes killing a possible growing human being because of money and the mother's abuse. It's about abortion itself most definitely but it also includes which should be prioritized.

What puzzles me is if someone was not pro-life why would there be exceptions and likewise those who are pro-life, why would late semester be different if the intentions of the abortion is the same regardless the trimester.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
"Pro life" is little more than a label that was created to make opposition to female bodily autonomy more palpable to an otherwise skittish centrist media circus. It literally did not exist as a position or label before the abortion debate became a common wedge issue in US national politics.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought the label “pro life” was a little rich. I mean if one is consistent in their views on life, anti war, anti death penalty etc etc, then I’ll happily accept the moniker is applicable. And indeed I know people who hold such views.
But the pro life movement I’m more familiar with is more akin to pro birth than anything else.

I wonder though how this poll would look in countries that haven’t had the death penalty in generations. Or in countries that don’t share the US gun culture

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Pro-life really means doing all we can to minimize murder and suicide.
Well I mean, you have to admit. The US gun culture is a bit....”full on.”
I mean I know farmers who have sheds filled with hunting rifles that they proudly display, clean and use and even they think US gun culture takes it too far

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not only that, in the US, most of the Christians want everyone to have GUNS.

So that's pretty pro-death, basically. :D
Also conservative, Republican, nationalistic, conventionalist, pro-military, pro aggressive police tactics, hard on crime, and eager to cut back on foreign aid and social services for the needy.
The atheists, on the other hand, tend to be less tribal, more liberal, unconventional, progressive, and open to experience.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I disagree that "pro-life" even means "anti-abortion."

I've mentioned this before, but it's remarkable how the so-called "pro-life" movement will only support measures to prevent abortions if it means some sort of cost, shame, or punishment for the pregnant person. If a measure would prevent abortions AND make a woman happier or better off, they generally aren't interested... or they actively oppose it.

This is why I use the term "anti-choice" rather than anti-abortion: they aren't that anti-abortion.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, yeah, libs and leftists love to kill little babies in the womb (or approve of it), but rush to save brutal murderers from the death penalty. Whatever helps you sleep at night. (See, it can go both ways. ) :rolleyes:

(Not all atheists are libs or leftist, either. )

Yeah, but we're not supposed to be coherent, since we're all just making it up as we go.

For what it's worth, I've never rushed to save a brutal murderer from the death penalty, and am yet to kill a little baby in the womb. Still, I'm young*. Never say never.

*Compared to the age of the planet**

**Okay, so if you're a YEC, I'm more like 'middle-aged'

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, yeah, libs and leftists love to kill little babies in the womb (or approve of it), but rush to save brutal murderers from the death penalty. Whatever helps you sleep at night. (See, it can go both ways. ) :rolleyes::D

(Not all atheists are libs or leftist, either. )
But that's the point, they're not little babies, at least not in my book.
Q: What qualities do you consider when deciding what or who merits a 'right to life'?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Yeah, yeah, libs and leftists love to kill little babies in the womb (or approve of it), but rush to save brutal murderers from the death penalty. Whatever helps you sleep at night. (See, it can go both ways. )
It's easy to understand. To oppose the death penalty demands nothing from the liberal/leftist. There's no personal responsibility to be taken as a direct result of that opposition. (And opposing the death penalty is fashionable to boot). On the other hand, to recognize that a fetus in the womb is a human life is inconvenient to their commitment to sexual liberation. Half a billion lives have been snuffed out since the 1970's, and if that fact makes you pause even for a moment then that's just proof that you hate women. Never mind that countless girls (future women) (future non-white women mostly) have been aborted for the crime of not being male.

And we're told that the true horror is not the fifty million lives of human potential that has been thrown away, but that some nations like the U.S. still think it's justified to execute convicted murderers. And no doubt the death penalty has been applied unjustly, fine... but the two issues are not remotely equivalent in gravity no matter how many (be they liberals or Catholic clerics) who want to insist otherwise.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's easy to understand. To oppose the death penalty demands nothing from the liberal/leftist. There's no personal responsibility to be taken as a direct result of that opposition. (And opposing the death penalty is fashionable to boot). On the other hand, to recognize that a fetus in the womb is a human life is inconvenient to their commitment to sexual liberation. Half a billion lives have been snuffed out since the 1970's, and if that fact makes you pause even for a moment then that's just proof that you hate women. Never mind that countless girls (future women) (future non-white women mostly) have been aborted for the crime of not being male.
What does hating women have to do with this? How'd you come up with that?
What ramifications does recognizing that a fœtus is a human life have to you? Is it the species or genetic pattern you value, or some other quality? Would you feel the same aborting a dog or cow fœtus?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Even if one limits "pro-life" to "anti-abortion" (something that I disagree with) atheists are still more arguably pro-life than Christians. Atheists tend to support Planned Parenthood. That organization is falsely maligned as an abortion mill. They provide far more than that. They provide birth control to those that cannot afford it. As a result abortions are lower in areas that have a PP office available. To me the supposed goal of anti-abortion people should be fewer abortions. Planned Parenthood deals with the entire gamut of reproduction and as a result people that don't want to become pregnant in the first place do not do so.

That is a win win I would say.