• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists are more pro-life than Christians

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
That's murder.
Actually, no it is not. It is not murder for someone to die as a result of you not giving them your organs or blood.

And why would you stop there?
If they require that I feed and clothe them, why can't I just deny them that?
Because those don't impose upon your bodily autonomy.

After all what does that benefit me? I might have to make great sacrifices in order to raise children, as many parents do.
As we are supposed to do, both biologically and morally, in order to not be despicable human beings.
Nobody should be forced to make any sacrifices they don't want to make or consent to, beyond the reasonable expectations of responsibility we all have for each other and those in our care. And nobody should be forced to sacrifice their bodily autonomy for another.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Actually, no it is not. It is not murder for someone to die as a result of you not giving them your organs or blood.

Because those don't impose upon your bodily autonomy.

Nobody should be forced to make any sacrifices they don't want to make or consent to, beyond the reasonable expectations of responsibility we all have for each other and those in our care. And nobody should be forced to sacrifice their bodily autonomy for another.
Hogwash. We send people to prison for not caring for thier kids.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No it doesn't. He is your child, not a foreign object in your body. Geez.
None of this precludes it's being a parasite. "Parasite" is not a value or status indicator.

"Parasitism is a type of symbiotic relationship, or long-term relationship between two species, where one member, the parasite, gains benefits that come at the expense of the host member.
"
Parasitism - Definition, Types and Examples | Biology Dictionary

A fœtus takes nourishment from the mother -- at the expense of the mother -- but contributes nothing. See definition above.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Why are you incapable of engaging with or answering my questions?

I'll make it as clear and simple as possible for you:

Do you think there are instances in which it is WRONG to legally force someone to do a thing, even if it would save a life?

Or, another way to put it, would you make the following things illegal:
- Refusing to run into a burning building to rescue people.
- Refusing to donate an organ or organs.
- Not jumping in front of somebody to protect them from a knife or bullet.

- Refusing to run into a burning building to rescue people. - should not be a forced choice
- Refusing to donate an organ or organs. - should not be a forced choice
- Not jumping in front of somebody to protect them from a knife or bulle " "

pregnancy that does not require organ loss or life of mother (e.g. ectopic pregnancy) - forced choice fine by me and by something approaching or exceeding 50% of Americans

Please avoid false equivocations and false analogies.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Are you the one who's pregnant?

If the answer is "no," then you aren't talking about SELF-sacrifice.

If you're this uncomfortable admitting the truth of your position, maybe you should reflect on why. Could it be that you realize deep down that it's wrong?

I can speak of my position, for example, myself and most born again men I know would marry the mother of our child or financially support the child and/or pay alimony and child support promptly, etc.

But I've warned people during public preaching that atheist fathers will often recommend or even (Lord bless them!) be slightly willing to pay for an abortion when they've done the deed outside wedlock (and many times be for the abortion DURING wedlock because "why should I have to sacrifice to raise a child" and "I support your bodily autonomy, darling").

:(

Choose LIFE.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I can speak of my position, for example, myself and most born again men I know would marry the mother of our child or financially support the child and/or pay alimony and child support promptly, etc.
Missing the point. I meant your position that demands others sacrifice themselves to satisfy your beliefs.

Again you avoid admitting the truth about your position. If it's too shameful for you to confront head-on, why keep it up?

But I've warned people during public preaching that atheist fathers will often recommend or even (Lord bless them!) be slightly willing to pay for an abortion when they've done the deed outside wedlock (and many times be for the abortion DURING wedlock because "why should I have to sacrifice to raise a child" and "I support your bodily autonomy, darling").

Choose LIFE.
Does all your preaching involve fear-mongering and slander?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
- Refusing to run into a burning building to rescue people. - should not be a forced choice
- Refusing to donate an organ or organs. - should not be a forced choice
- Not jumping in front of somebody to protect them from a knife or bulle " "

pregnancy that does not require organ loss or life of mother (e.g. ectopic pregnancy) - forced choice fine by me and by something approaching or exceeding 50% of Americans
This is not an argument. If you believe it is okay not to force people to run into a burning building or to donate organs, it should not be difficult to undertand why it is morally wrong to force people to remain pregnant and give birth against their will.

Please avoid false equivocations and false analogies.
Asserting that something is false does not make it so. Simply asserting that pregnancy is different to the above scenarios doesn't make it so, either.

You are just making an arbitrary distinction to justify your immoral position on forcing people to remain pregnant and give birth against their will.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Choose LIFE.
That would just be your bias showing. ;)

People of All Religions Use Birth Control and Have Abortions
Survey: Women Go Silently From Church to Abortion Clinic - Focus on the Family

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What's "fine by you" is irrelevant.

Is the concept of consent completely foreign to you? What you're pushing is the mentality of a rapist:

- "yeah she said she doesn't want sex, but she invited me up. What did she think would happen?"
- "yeah she said she doesn't want to be pregnant, but she had sex. What did she think would happen?"

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
What's "fine by you" is irrelevant.

Is the concept of consent completely foreign to you? What you're pushing is the mentality of a rapist:

- "yeah she said she doesn't want sex, but she invited me up. What did she think would happen?"
- "yeah she said she doesn't want to be pregnant, but she had sex. What did she think would happen?"
'

I appreciate your strong feelings in this matter. But I say it is not the mentality of a rapist to counter inconvenience with killing a life.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Missing the point. I meant your position that demands others sacrifice themselves to satisfy your beliefs.

Again you avoid admitting the truth about your position. If it's too shameful for you to confront head-on, why keep it up?

Does all your preaching involve fear-mongering and slander?

We both have multiple positions that demand other sacrifice themselves for satisfying our beliefs.

For an example, you want me to pay extra taxes to house convicted murderers for years and years, instead of executing them and reducing the tax burden.

I have no problem with this sort of thing--for example, I'd like COVID vaccines made mandatory. That would be an example of forcing people, even religious friends who are vaccine hesitant, to have something done to their bodies against their will. Fine by me.

My bodily autonomy and yours has limitations including taxation, subject to arrest, unable to consume alcohol or marry legally before a certain age, possible draft to fight and die in a war, etc. without which society--and actually the value placed on LIFE and INTERDEPENDENCE diminish.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
This is not an argument. If you believe it is okay not to force people to run into a burning building or to donate organs, it should not be difficult to undertand why it is morally wrong to force people to remain pregnant and give birth against their will.

Asserting that something is false does not make it so. Simply asserting that pregnancy is different to the above scenarios doesn't make it so, either.

You are just making an arbitrary distinction to justify your immoral position on forcing people to remain pregnant and give birth against their will.

It is an argument. After all, an adult can choose to risk their life to run into a burning building or not.

A child cannot make that choice. So I'm technically pro-life, any parents who want to abort can record that decision, and then, when their child turns 18, they will have the option to choose death by knife cutting, burning in saline solution, etc.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It is an argument. After all, an adult can choose to risk their life to run into a burning building or not.
And a woman can choose not to remain pregnant or give birth.

A child cannot make that choice.
It is not the child's choice to make. A person who needs an organ to live cannot "choose" to take any organ from any individual in order to do so.

So I'm technically pro-life, any parents who want to abort can record that decision, and then, when their child turns 18, they will have the option to choose death by knife cutting, burning in saline solution, etc.
This is a pretty silly argument for very obvious reasons. People don't abort just because they want to kill the child. They abort because they don't want to go through the process of pregnancy and childbirth (or, because they are unprepared or unwilling to raise a child).

Killing an autonomous person whose continued life does not rely on the continuous consent to access of another person's organs and the sacrifice of their bodily autonomy is not the same thing as killing a foetus.