• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists are more pro-life than Christians

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Would you prefer "clump of cells" or "parasite" as many on your side are wont to call developing humans in the womb? :rolleyes:
How about "fœtus?"

Is the developing human not a clump of cells, at an early stage? Does the fœtus not conform to the definition of parasite? How would these designations not be accurate? A thing may be called by different names, emphasizing different qualities.

"Human" vs "person." Is the right to life based on personhood, or species?
Why?

Fallen Prophet

No, its entirely relevant. If you define justice as giving back what is taken, then you cannot justify killing a murderer because that isn't "giving back" anything, it's just taking another thing away.
I don't recall sharing how I defined justice.

I do remember you claiming that a murderer cannot give back what they have taken - in some lame attempt to justify not executing them.

I believe justice requires more than simply giving back what was taken - which is why a thief should give - or pay - back what was taken - including damages - as well as serve jail time.
You seem very confused. Do you not understand that ending a life is not actually "offering" anything? Nobody gains anything in recompense. Another life is just lost.
And how exactly does locking the murderer up for the rest of their life gain anything?

You believe being forced to live in a box with other murderers is a "gain"? They haven't lost something?

Removing someone who has demonstrated that they are a threat to the life of others is doing a service to the world.

It is justice for the friends and family of the victim, frees up space in prison for people who can actually be rehabilitated, saves the tax-payer some money and deters future murder.
This is not difficult to grasp.
I see literally no benefit to letting convicted murderers live.
Firstly, on average, the death penalty costs taxpayers more.
Even in those States that use a noose or firing squad?
Secondly, everybody benefits from a government and legal system that cannot force death upon its citizens.
Tell that to all the aborted babies.
This is just blatantly not true. There are entire organizations set up by the friends and families of murder victims who advoate for the abolition of the death penalty.
There is also an organization that claims that only the lives of a certain skin-color matter - but they don't speak for all the members of that skin-color.

There are always going to be people who are quick to represent others without their consent.
And there is absolutely nothing to suggest that locking murderers up makes prisons less safe - dangerous inmates have always been seperated from other inmates. It has never been an issue.
Are you really arguing that prisons are safe places to live?
Except for all the people who are wrongly convicted and sentenced to death. They gain a lot.
You're saying that there are people who - once they are convicted of crimes - maintain that they are innocent?

Well - throw open those doors! I'm sold!

But seriously - this is a reason to reform our legal system - like not being able to convict based on who you know or how much money you have.

If the punishment is death - then lawyers will be required to up their game because they and the courts will be under so much more scrutiny.

No more celebrities or politicians thinking they can get away with stuff just because they are famous.

You hear that Hilary?
Then you're completely unreasonable.
So you believe that it is reasonable to allow a thief to keep what they have stolen?
Then you're even more unreasonable.
You're right - just lock rapists up where they can commit more rape. Sounds reasonable.

Or - because they raped someone they have proven that they are threats to others and are unable to live in civilized society?
Until you convict the wrong person. Then suddenly "losing the right to life" is no longer a thing.
No more lawyers convicting anyone on circumstance or technicalities if the punishment is death - the ultimate deterrent.
It's just a case of the state deciding you never had a right to begin with.
Not the State - the facts presented in a court of law.
That wasn't the point I was making.
If you believe that I have the right to defend myself - even if it means ending the life of attacker in the process - then the attempted murderer can - and should - be executed.

When someone decides to take away the life of another - they forfeit their right to life - it does not matter if I take their life while defending myself or after they are convicted in a court of law.

The same goes for rapists.

If you believe that I am justified in shooting and killing a man when he is in the process of raping my daughter - then he can - and should - be executed after being convicted in a court of law.

Or - are you one of those people who believes that the victim should handle the people who is actively trying to murder or rape them with kid gloves?

"I'd like to stop you from stabbing/raping my wife - but ImmortalFlame might not be okay with it."
So, you have gone from "murderers lose their right to life" to "murderers and rapists lose their right to life" to "murderers, rapists and attempted murderers lose their right to life".
No - those have always been my positions.

You didn't ask about rape or attempted murder.

I was the one who brought them up so I could share that they are in the same boat as the murderers.
Do you have any idea of the slippery slope you're on?
Nope - I have been firm on these big three for some time now.
You no longer have to even demonstrate that a person acually killed people in order to justify a mandate for the state to kill them - you just need to demonstrate an ATTEMPT to end their life.
No - you would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they made the attempt.

Otherwise - you are correct. No kid gloves for those who try to kill people.
Imagine the same scenario you just envisioned, only now you successfully defended yourself and apprehended the attacker. The police then arrive and arrest you. Turns out the attacker is from a wealthy family, and they want to charge YOU with attempted murder. Being poor, you can't pay for a decent legal defense and the police don't believe your story. You are sentenced to death for attempted murder.

Justice?
Yeah - and me going to prison for life is such a better outcome?

Either way - you are arguing from the standpoint of a corrupt legal system - which I agree is a big problem in this country.

Yet - instead of calling it out and trying to make it harder for them to get away with it - you pave the way for them - make it so much easier for them.

And all the while emboldening criminals - because they know they can get away with it.
Except you're forgetting about the appeals process, which necessarily can take decades. If you believe in not killing innocent people, you need a lengthy (and very costly) appeals process in place.
And people only appeal executions?

If all appeals cost the tax-payers money - why not argue to do away with all punishments for crimes?

Why do you only argue against execution?
Which is still a flawed system, subject to inaccuracy, exaggeration, circumstance and corruption. Something being DETERMINED in court cannot be considered innately an undeniable fact.
So we should let everyone in prison go free - right?

Since - none of them have been "innately" or "undeniably" proven to have committed the crimes they went to prison for - right?

Or are you again only making this argument in opposition to execution?
Okay, we're just going to end our discussion there.
You know that if such an experiment took place that people would only be committing murders on the "odd days".

You know that it would prove that the death penalty is the ultimate deterrent - so you run away.
Sentencing people to death purely because of the DAY they were convicted (just for an "experiment", no less) is utterly and flagrantly repulsive and immoral, and demonstrates that you are not an advocate for justice.
You and I both know that I was not advocating actual legislation or anything.

I was just proving a point.

And you resorting to ad hominem and running away proves that my point was made.

The death penalty is the ultimate deterrent.
You're just an advocate for murder.
Nope - because I'm not defending the lives of murderers - like you are.

Imagine if we had gotten ahold of Adolf Hitler at the end of WW2.

What if there were a group of people who defended his life after he was convicted for his war crimes.

Those people would - justly - be labeled as defenders of murder and anti-Semitism - and you know it.

Last edited:

Fallen Prophet

Every pregnancy is a danger to the life of the pregnant person.

When it becomes clear that the only thing that would save the life of a pregnant person is an abortion, it's often too late to save their life.

What these "for the life of the mother" exceptions do is tell a doctor in the middle of a crisis situation that, if they perform an abortion, if a prosecutor can find an expert witness willing to say "*I* could have saved her life without an abortion," the doctor will be charged with a crime.

IOW, you've created a situation where doctors will be motivated *not* to abort even if it is the best - or only - course of action medically.

The whole point of these exceptions is to pay lip-service to some of the very real harms that anti-choice laws cause, so I assume you acknowledge those harms. So if you really do think that the lives of pregnant people are worth protecting, come up with something that actually protects their lives.
Sure - don't have sex until you are married and willing to get pregnant.

That would eliminate most of motivations for abortions - which would help us better tackle the issue.

And "every pregnancy is a danger to the life of the pregnant person" - I assume you meant woman - is a huge exaggeration and just not true today.

And I don't buy for a minute that it's "too late" with all the check-ups and technology we have to screen things out today.

And - needless to say - but it all boils down to the mother's choice in this situation anyway.

If she is told that her life is at risk unless she aborts - then it is up to her to make the decision.

Fallen Prophet

That's not what I said, and you didn't answer my question

While you and I may agree that it is commendable for people to make sacrifices to benefit others, do you therefore also believe that it is morally right to FORCE people to make sacrifices to benefit others?

Yes, they do. Their organs are co-opted by the child for the duration of the pregnancy. The mother uses them as well, but they are still hers and she has a right to full entitlement to them, even at the cost of ending another life.

No, it isn't.

For starters, my answer was honest. While I can agree it would be a good thing to do, I have no idea if I could actually do it in the heat of the moment. And, if you were honest, I doubt you would too. Since that situation is basically impossible and never going to happen, you have the benefit of SAYING you would do it while also having the comfort of knowing you'd never actually have to. It's just baseless posturing.

For seconds, it is completely irrelevant because what we are discussing here is not the morality of making a sacrifice to save others. What we are debating is whether it is morally right to FORCE PEOPLE to make sacrifices for others. My post was very clear about this, and yet you have remained suspiciously silent on that issue. I believe that this is because you realize that to FORCE people to cut of their hand, or go into a burnint building, or donate organs, or - yes - remain pregnant and give birth against their will IS indefensible and immoral, even if it saves a life.

You just don't wish to admit it.

It truly is noble that you are willing to SAY you'd do something you will never, ever have the opportunity to do in order to save a life.

Meanwhile, I am both a blood and organ donor who works in medicine.

But, by all means, continue to believe you have the moral highground on making sacrifices to save others.
Hey man - I didn't say the things that you are attributing to me in this post - about organs and hands or what not.

I don't know what happened or why I was quoted as saying these things - but I didn't - that's someone else.

Please amend your post so that the actual RF member is referenced and quoted - not me. Thanks.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I don't recall sharing how I defined justice.

I do remember you claiming that a murderer cannot give back what they have taken - in some lame attempt to justify not executing them.

I believe justice requires more than simply giving back what was taken - which is why a thief should give - or pay - back what was taken - including damages - as well as serve jail time.

And how exactly does locking the murderer up for the rest of their life gain anything?

You believe being forced to live in a box with other murderers is a "gain"? They haven't lost something?

Removing someone who has demonstrated that they are a threat to the life of others is doing a service to the world.

It is justice for the friends and family of the victim, frees up space in prison for people who can actually be rehabilitated, saves the tax-payer some money and deters future murder.

I see literally no benefit to letting convicted murderers live.

Even in those States that use a noose or firing squad?

Tell that to all the aborted babies.

There is also an organization that claims that only the lives of a certain skin-color matter - but they don't speak for all the members of that skin-color.

There are always going to be people who are quick to represent others without their consent.

Are you really arguing that prisons are safe places to live?

You're saying that there are people who - once they are convicted of crimes - maintain that they are innocent?

Well - throw open those doors! I'm sold!

But seriously - this is a reason to reform our legal system - like not being able to convict based on who you know or how much money you have.

If the punishment is death - then lawyers will be required to up their game because they and the courts will be under so much more scrutiny.

No more celebrities or politicians thinking they can get away with stuff just because they are famous.

You hear that Hilary?

So you believe that it is reasonable to allow a thief to keep what they have stolen?

You're right - just lock rapists up where they can commit more rape. Sounds reasonable.

Or - because they raped someone they have proven that they are threats to others and are unable to live in civilized society?

No more lawyers convicting anyone on circumstance or technicalities if the punishment is death - the ultimate deterrent.

Not the State - the facts presented in a court of law.

If you believe that I have the right to defend myself - even if it means ending the life of attacker in the process - then the attempted murderer can - and should - be executed.

When someone decides to take away the life of another - they forfeit their right to life - it does not matter if I take their life while defending myself or after they are convicted in a court of law.

The same goes for rapists.

If you believe that I am justified in shooting and killing a man when he is in the process of raping my daughter - then he can - and should - be executed after being convicted in a court of law.

Or - are you one of those people who believes that the victim should handle the people who is actively trying to murder or rape them with kid gloves?

"I'd like to stop you from stabbing/raping my wife - but ImmortalFlame might not be okay with it."

No - those have always been my positions.

You didn't ask about rape or attempted murder.

I was the one who brought them up so I could share that they are in the same boat as the murderers.

Nope - I have been firm on these big three for some time now.

No - you would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they made the attempt.

Otherwise - you are correct. No kid gloves for those who try to kill people.

Yeah - and me going to prison for life is such a better outcome?

Either way - you are arguing from the standpoint of a corrupt legal system - which I agree is a big problem in this country.

Yet - instead of calling it out and trying to make it harder for them to get away with it - you pave the way for them - make it so much easier for them.

And all the while emboldening criminals - because they know they can get away with it.

And people only appeal executions?

If all appeals cost the tax-payers money - why not argue to do away with all punishments for crimes?

Why do you only argue against execution?

So we should let everyone in prison go free - right?

Since - none of them have been "innately" or "undeniably" proven to have committed the crimes they went to prison for - right?

Or are you again only making this argument in opposition to execution?

You know that if such an experiment took place that people would only be committing murders on the "odd days".

You know that it would prove that the death penalty is the ultimate deterrent - so you run away.

You and I both know that I was not advocating actual legislation or anything.

I was just proving a point.

And you resorting to ad hominem and running away proves that my point was made.

The death penalty is the ultimate deterrent.

Nope - because I'm not defending the lives of murderers - like you are.

Imagine if we had gotten ahold of Adolf Hitler at the end of WW2.

What if there were a group of people who defended his life after he was convicted for his war crimes.

Those people would - justly - be labeled as defenders of murder and anti-Semitism - and you know it.
I told you, the discussion is done.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sure - don't have sex until you are married and willing to get pregnant.

That would eliminate most of motivations for abortions - which would help us better tackle the issue.
There are many ways to "tackle the issue." The anti-choice movement only seems to be interested in the ones that involve harm, shame, or some aspect of punishment.

And "every pregnancy is a danger to the life of the pregnant person" - I assume you meant woman - is a huge exaggeration and just not true today.
Don't presume to tell me what I mean.

Rather than trying to impose your anti-trans attitudes on me, maybe stop and reflect on just how deep one's misogyny would have to go to for you to take issue with me calling someone you consider to be a woman a person.

I consider the term "person" to include women. If you don't, ask yourself why.

And I don't buy for a minute that it's "too late" with all the check-ups and technology we have to screen things out today.

And - needless to say - but it all boils down to the mother's choice in this situation anyway.

If she is told that her life is at risk unless she aborts - then it is up to her to make the decision.
Every pregnant person's life is at risk.

In many countries, the odds of a woman dying of pregnancy- or childbirth- related causes is higher than the odds of a soldier in wartime dying in the war.

Share of women that are expected to die from pregnancy-related causes

Even in a supposedly first-world country like the US, the maternal mortality rate is 17 deaths for every 100,000 live births... and that rate rises to 42 per 100,000 live births when the pregnant person is black.

Pregnancy Mortality Surveillance System | Maternal and Infant Health | CDC

This is not just a matter of these dramatic scenes where a doctor decides that there's something wrong with the pregnancy and an abortion is medically necessary. Even a "routine" childbirth with no particular warning signs has a non-negligible risk of killing the pregnant person.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To kill? Why stop at birth then?
It doesn't.

The right to abortion is the exact same right as your right to not have a kidney removed against your will.

Even if your decision to refuse to provide your kidney will kill someone else who needs it, you still have the right to refuse.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Yes, as long as they way you kill your toddler is by refusing the use of your organs, tissue or fluids.

If your toddler needs even just a pint of your blood to live, you're entirely within your rights to say "no" and let them die.
That's murder.
And why would you stop there?
If they require that I feed and clothe them, why can't I just deny them that? After all what does that benefit me? I might have to make great sacrifices in order to raise children, as many parents do.
As we are supposed to do, both biologically and morally, in order to not be despicable human beings.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's murder.
And why would you stop there?
If they require that I feed and clothe them, why can't I just deny them that? After all what does that benefit me? I might have to make great sacrifices in order to raise children, as many parents do.
As we are supposed to do, both biologically and morally, in order to not be despicable human beings.
If the idea of bodily security is completely foreign to you, maybe try some googling.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This idea of the baby being a parasite is so grossly unscientific. A woman's body is literally designed to carry a child.
Designed by who? God?

It's fine for you to believe and practice as you see fit, but if you're going to demand that others need to follow the tenets of your beliefs, what justification are you going to use to demand that your beliefs be respected?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
This idea of the baby being a parasite is so grossly unscientific. A woman's body is literally designed to carry a child.
I didn't say the baby was literally a parasite. The fact is that an individual has the right to use their own body as they see fit, and can choose not to use their own body to incubate another life.