• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist

F1fan

Veteran Member
Atheists have a disbelief or lack of belief in a god. I think it’s more of a disbelief because even if we could prove there was a god they still wouldn’t believe in my opinion.
And it's the disresepect like this by those who claim to believe in a God that suggests they aren't tapped into some greater wisdom, but are quite petty folks with a grudge.

Many atheists are critical thinkers who follow evidence to sound conclusions, yet you insult them with such statements.
Let’s say we could prove that all of existence rises and falls with the birth and death of one individual, the atheist would be like, so what.
Is this a fact, or an insult?
Even then they wouldn’t believe imo. The atheist is grateful and recognizes things that are greater than them selves but what they don’t do is be grateful towards something greater than themselves which is cool with me.
Unubstantiated religious ideas aren't greater than anything.
I can see where their coming from. I mean why should anyone think that there’s anything more important than themselves.
Another untrue insult.

What is your intention with this thread?

Last edited:

Kfox

Imo I think If an atheist says they believe the universe is greater than them selves and that they’re grateful for the universe I see that as believing in God.
So to see the Universe as greater than myself and to be grateful for the Universe, you view that as me viewing the Universe as God? How about if I view my parents as greater than myself and am grateful to my parents? Does this mean I see view my parents as my God? Or am I missing something here.

Nimos

Atheists have a disbelief or lack of belief in a god. I think it’s more of a disbelief because even if we could prove there was a god they still wouldn’t believe in my opinion. Let’s say we could prove that all of existence rises and falls with the birth and death of one individual, the atheist would be like, so what. Even then they wouldn’t believe imo. The atheist is grateful and recognizes things that are greater than them selves but what they don’t do is be grateful towards something greater than themselves which is cool with me. I can see where their coming from. I mean why should anyone think that there’s anything more important than themselves.
Im sorry, but I think you ought to listen to atheist's arguments instead of making them up yourself. Except for the first eleven words, basically, nothing of what you wrote here makes any sense.

If it could be proven that a God existed there wouldn't be any atheists. We might however choose to not follow/worship said God due to various reasons.

Unless proven that something even exists, to begin with, there is no argument to be made whether or not Atheists would or wouldn't be grateful towards something greater than us. It is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with thinking we are more important than something else.

In fact, you will often be able to associate atheists with being in support of humanism and naturalism.

Definition - Humanism
a rationalist outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters.

Definition - Naturalism
the philosophical belief that everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted.

This makes perfect sense given the lack of evidence for the divine.

So rather than assuming all kinds of things about how atheists behave, what we believe, and don't believe, why not present convincing proof of God instead?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
. The atheist is grateful and recognizes things that are greater than them selves but what they don’t do is be grateful towards something greater than themselves which is cool with me.
How are you defining greatness?
I can see where their coming from. I mean why should anyone think that there’s anything more important than themselves.
That generally isn't true for atheists.
We're individuals who each value different things....but not gods.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God is a much abused term that ends up serving human ego, prejudice, and power quite well.

As an atheist I have to say that there's no human being alive that deserves to wield the power of the God title.

The word God often implies total power and authority over everything and everyone. That is a dangerous power to give any human beings, and is not a power I would entrust to followers of any God.

Virtues I would consider to be authoritative concepts in my life. However there's no right nor divine right exclusive to any person over another.

A religion without honesty and humility and fair treatment of all life is a cancer on society.

As a truth seeking atheist I find God to be something I don't take lightly. God is claimed by too many believers with no regard for those who don't subscribe to a God.

God is often used to justify tyranny, and oppression.

The history behind the word God in humanity doesn't have a good track record.

If there were to be a God worthy of worship what attributes and behaviors would you expect this God to have toward all other life? Answer that!

It seems God and favoritism go hand in hand a lot.

Show me a God that isn't a tyrant!

King Phenomenon

So to see the Universe as greater than myself and to be grateful for the Universe, you view that as me viewing the Universe as God? How about if I view my parents as greater than myself and am grateful to my parents? Does this mean I see view my parents as my God? Or am I missing something here.
They would

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ

They would

They would be a god then? I'm not getting your definition of what constitutes godhood or what a god even is

King Phenomenon

It's not clear what your complaint is about atheists & existence.
It’s not a complaint more of an observation. They don’t really acknowledge the force that has allowed them to exist imo. Exist for eternity I might add, but that’s probably for another thread. They call it the universe. They say they’re grateful for the universe. They say the universe is greater than them. That’s all they say. Why not take the next step and call the universe God? Then recognize what God does?

I just think their view of life is rather weak. Actually, who cares really. hahaha.