• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ATHEIST ONLY: Atheist View On Abortion

leahrachelle

I was just curious how everyone else felt about it because I have noticed that religious people are a lot more touchy with this. I, though, am stronger than ever against it and I was Catholic when I was younger.

How do you feel about it and why?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm against abortions, and I'm Pro-Choice. I don't believe that a "ban" should be legislated.

leahrachelle

No, I mean that if a woman does it to herself, it is technically her right. But it isnt their RIGHT to have an easy way to do it... (Clinics/Hospitals,etc.)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Obviously it IS the woman's body...
Obviously a woman's body is a woman's body, but that's not sufficient reason to have an abortion. Obviously it IS the offspring's body, too.

...but what about abortions in clinics?
What about them? Better than doing it in alleys.
Edit: Ah, yes, as a citizen I think it's their right to have access to the medical community to have it done.

leahrachelle

Better than doing it in alleys.

What about it is better? Either way the baby dies. The main reason women turn to abortion is because it is 'an easy way out.' If abortion was banned, I do not believe that natural abortion rates will go up because the next easiest option is having the baby and just giving it up for adoption. Most women are much too scared to try to kill the baby themselves because they know they're probably going to hurt themselves in the process. And if they care that much to kill the baby and they end up hurting themselves than it is their own responsiblity..

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What about it is better? Either way the baby dies.
It's cleaner, and less chance that both involved parties would die.

The main reason women turn to abortion is because it is 'an easy way out.'
If you say so.

If abortion was banned, I do not believe that natural abortion rates will go up because the next easiest option is having the baby and just giving it up for adoption.
Why would natural abortion rates be affected at all by a ban on abortions? It's not like there's a choice if it's a natural abortion, and the ban would only have affect in case of a decision.

Most women are much too scared to try to kill the baby themselves because they know they're probably going to hurt themselves in the process. And if they care that much to kill the baby and they end up hurting themselves than it is their own responsiblity.
It's their own responsibility anyway. ;)

leahrachelle

I really like the example you used, and my main argument, personally, is that everyone has the right to life. In the constitution it states even that we all have the right to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. how abortion can go around that and be constitutional i do not understand...

leahrachelle

Willamena: I do not mean the baby dying on their own. I mean the women killing the babies themselves. We refer to that as natural abortion - atleast around where I am from.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I really like the example you used, and my main argument, personally, is that everyone has the right to life. In the constitution it states even that we all have the right to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. how abortion can go around that and be constitutional i do not understand...
I agree that that's a very good reason to choose life for the offspring, especially as the right is recognized, and that recognition guaranteed, by a governing body. Abortions can still be legal because of the second right, liberty, which includes the liberty to choose what happens within the borders of one's own body.

Willamena: I do not mean the baby dying on their own. I mean the women killing the babies themselves. We refer to that as natural abortion - atleast around where I am from.
Ah, I didn't know that.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I think an abortion is only justified in the event it's needed to save the mother's life, and there isn't a reasonable alternative. I do not agree that they should have to do it alone since that would defeat the entire purpose, and should be performed by a medical professional. Are we forgetting how it was done in the past when it was illegal? Coat hangers and Windex anybody?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Because it only applies to actual people.

Panda

42?
Premium Member

Because it only applies to actual people.

I agree with FH. It all depends on when you think a clump of cells stops being a clump of cells and starts being a human baby. This is really what the entire argument stems around.

Me, I am pro-choice. While I would not encourage abortions, I do think it is the woman's choice.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of abortion. A number of my friends have had abortions, and it makes me sad to think about it. I would have liked to have known their children.

However, it seems to me that the legal question is not whether abortion is a good thing or a bad thing. The question is whether it's right to force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term against her will. I firmly believe that it's not.