• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ATHEIST ONLY: Atheist View On Abortion

logician

The point again is that the mother's beliefs are the important ones here, not the churches down the street or a nanny state's. Especially in this day of a population explosion, hunger, poverty, few jobs etc. the mother must be given a choice.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The point again is that the mother's beliefs are the important ones here, not the churches down the street or a nanny state's. Especially in this day of a population explosion, hunger, poverty, few jobs etc. the mother must be given a choice.
That's not a point, so much as a view, and not even one shared by all people who believe Pro-choice, especially if you're implying to give the mother's choice away to circumstance.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I guess it would apply to non-life as well, in my opinion. Because I can't think of anything that doesn't have a use..

Then your definition of "useful" is worthless. If you consider everything that has a use to be useful, then every single thing is useful in your opinion, and so the term is meaningless.

(Ironically, I just realized this post is useless since it won't reach its intended recipient.)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Then your definition of "useful" is worthless. If you consider everything that has a use to be useful, then every single thing is useful in your opinion, and so the term is meaningless.

(Ironically, I just realized this post is useless since it won't reach its intended recipient.)
You've adequately demonstrated that even uselsessness is useful, in this case to cut people down.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You've adequately demonstrated that even uselsessness is useful, in this case to cut people down.

Sure. As I pointed out, anything can be useful. But if you go with that, then there's no point in using the term "useful" or "useless", in the first place. We obviously have the terms to differentiate between things.

Also, your accusation of me "cutting people down" is unfounded, wrong and irresponsible. You're better than that.

logician

That's not a point, so much as a view, and not even one shared by all people who believe Pro-choice, especially if you're implying to give the mother's choice away to circumstance.

Nitpicking between a point and view? LOL Of course the choice is due to circumstance.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nitpicking between a point and view?
It's not nitpicking. The claim that the planet is overcrowded is by no means a fact... it's just your opinion, and easily recognized as such, which (IMO) makes it an ineffective argument.

LOL Of course the choice is due to circumstance.
I think it's more an issue of situational ethics; is the problem of overpopulation what justifies abortion? If there were less people in the world, would you be in favour of prohibiting abortion? If not, then the population pressure issue probably isn't really relevant.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sure. As I pointed out, anything can be useful. But if you go with that, then there's no point in using the term "useful" or "useless", in the first place. We obviously have the terms to differentiate between things.

Also, your accusation of me "cutting people down" is unfounded, wrong and irresponsible. You're better than that.
Of course there is a point to using it --using is the point.

I'm glad you think I'm better than unfounded accusations, Matt, but that's not what I was offering.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Nitpicking between a point and view? LOL Of course the choice is due to circumstance.
It's an important nit to pick when it disguises itself as representation. :)

That choice is due to circumstance isn't the same as giving circumstance the choice.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Of course there is a point to using it --using is the point.

I understand. The point is, thinking in those terms means rendering the terms "useful" and "useless" pointless.

I'm glad you think I'm better than unfounded accusations, Matt, but that's not what I was offering.

Well, claiming that I was trying to cut someone down with my response was unfounded as well as wrong.