• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Desire to Disprove God

There is a different thread for this.

Well, I don't know what thread you're talking about, but I'm simply saying that not all (and honestly- very few) Atheists are God bashing, abrasive ********.

I don't have a problem with other people believing in deities, or being deeply religious. I might not see eye to eye with them, and I probably won't be hanging out with those people, but I'm not the type to call them idiotic either. As aforementioned, what you're taught in your early childhood years tend to be what you believe for the rest of your life. Unless those beliefs are very harmful for the kid, and they realize that.

RitalinO.D.

Well, I don't know what thread you're talking about, but I'm simply saying that not all (and honestly- very few) Atheists are God bashing, abrasive ********.

I don't have a problem with other people believing in deities, or being deeply religious. I might not see eye to eye with them, and I probably won't be hanging out with those people, but I'm not the type to call them idiotic either. As aforementioned, what you're taught in your early childhood years tend to be what you believe for the rest of your life. Unless those beliefs are very harmful for the kid, and they realize that.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion, but it's organized religion that I openly ridicule. I have several friends that are theists, and when we get into debates about the subject, it's the church that is usually the target of my criticism. I may find worshipping a fictional god a bit silly, but it is not my place to tell them they are wrong, and I try to get that point across to anyone that I find myself in discussion with. Believing in and of itself harms no one, it's the church (or temple, or whatever they call their place of worship), and the individuals that feel the need to shove religion down others throats that I take issue with.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Faith will prevail.
Proof goes to the ground.
Your discussion fails when you do.

Faith carries on.
Well duh.

"Faith is a device of self-delusion, a sleight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up. Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim. It is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes."
~Zed
You demonstrate the above quote to the tee every time you spout "faith does not require proof".

outhouse

Atheistically

dont worry about him

he wants to spread his belief system. he us under the illusion that atheist are believers instead of holding a lack of belief.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Because even if you treat the narratives that surround a faith as pure myth/just story it becomes apparent that humanity has deemed some myths/stories as worthy of preservation and others as junk for the dustbin of history, lucky to have the name of their god/character alone preserved...if that.
If on nothing other than degree of ‘appeal’ to and wothyness of ‘preservation’ by humanity- not “all gods are on equal footing”.

But it doesn't invalidate "my" claim. Since the thread is directed at Atheist I'm simply telling you how we see it. Of course I would never speak for all Atheist but as we gaze upon the myths we place all claims of the supernatural square on the shoulders of the believer. They are faith based claims that, as Thief says, ("needs no proving").

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I'm pretty much of the same opinion, but it's organized religion that I openly ridicule. I have several friends that are theists, and when we get into debates about the subject, it's the church that is usually the target of my criticism. I may find worshipping a fictional god a bit silly, but it is not my place to tell them they are wrong, and I try to get that point across to anyone that I find myself in discussion with. Believing in and of itself harms no one, it's the church (or temple, or whatever they call their place of worship), and the individuals that feel the need to shove religion down others throats that I take issue with.

Agreed.....

I work for a local school district and they all stand up pledging their allegiance to the USA and I could care less about ("one nation under "God") or the fact that there's an afternoon christian club....or that some kids walk around with crosses on their necks or the fact that more than one of my co-works has biblical quotes in their offices posted on the walls. My problem is with organized religion trying to play politics that could interfere with my civil liberties. I don't car who or what a person worships. I'm most vocal here at RF and rarely am I vocal in public.....:sad:

Orias

Left Hand Path

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-religious-debates/112334-atheism-belief.html

Wombat

But it doesn't invalidate "my" claim. Since the thread is directed at Atheist I'm simply telling you how we see it."

Unfortunately "how you see it" (all gods on equal footing) is up against how people like it.

It (the whole God question) is not a Lab experiment. It is a question in which people (Humanity) will be persuaded (or not) by a narrative and persuaded also by how others >live their life< in the context of that narrative.

I don't believe that any Roman, Britton, Frank or Gaul was persuaded by any "proooving" of God....They heard a story and they saw aspects of that story being played out/reflected in the lives of those who believed the story. They acted on 'common sense'...a useful tool, even to the lads in the Lab.

None of the God stories can be proven, but many have been found to be useless/counter productive and abandoned...while some have been found to be so useful they remain preserved and lived for thousands of years...That alone places the God stories on a different/unequal "footing".

They are faith based claims that, as Thief says, ("needs no proving").

That the existence of God cannot be proven and that for some it is a “faith based” matter does not mean that for others logic, reason, assessment of probability, common sense and examination of evidence do not all come into play in determining if a belief in God is merited.
It is a process far more akin to developing a longterm/loving relationship with another than seeking to ‘prove’ a matter in science. Yes, I know, in most relationships you at least know the ‘other’ exists ;-)...but the dynamics here are parallel and far more akin to lovers wooing than Lab rats scurrying.
In a relationship with another the story they tell you of ‘love’ for you cannot be ‘proven’...you can apply logic, reason, assessment of probability, common sense and examination of evidence...but in the end you come to belief/faith that you are loved...and it is reciprocated...or not.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well duh.
"Faith is a device of self-delusion, a sleight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up. Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim. It is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes."
~Zed
You demonstrate the above quote to the tee every time you spout "faith does not require proof".

I was quoting Webster's....a better source of definition.

outhouse

Atheistically
Why don't you post in it so you can catch up on your weak opus.:p

no I dont post in your thread because you are undebatable.

You have been shown the errors of your ways and continue to hold your personal views as a standard opinion. It is not

Orias

Left Hand Path
no I dont post in your thread because you are undebatable.

You have been shown the errors of your ways and continue to hold your personal views as a standard opinion. It is not

Do you ever think that the way in which you are speaking to me, applies to you as well?

Get over your narrow minded droll, you have shown me nothing except for disdain.

I assure you, if you just read the thread your short perception of me will disappear.

outhouse

Atheistically
Do you ever think that the way in which you are speaking to me, applies to you as well?

Get over your narrow minded droll, you have shown me nothing except for disdain.

I assure you, if you just read the thread your short perception of me will disappear.

All I know is I tell you, I have a lack of belief in any mythical charactor and you want to call that a belief in itself.

I dont buy it. I have explained myself fully as well as others after you hijacked a thread with your own personal view.

Im glad you opened up your own thread

Orias

Left Hand Path
All I know is I tell you, I have a lack of belief in any mythical charactor and you want to call that a belief in itself.

I dont buy it. I have explained myself fully as well as others after you hijacked a thread with your own personal view.

Im glad you opened up your own thread

I insist.

You are misleading, I simply brought up one simple point in argument with the OP. You among others bombarded it with your same special pleading.