• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and the Big Bang

ecco

Veteran Member
"Barely an excuse"? It is no excuse, at all.
As you said.

It is a breath of fresh air to hear someone say it!

For preference for BS, also see "politician" and their
sycophants.
Included in the people who never say IDunno are politicians and religious leaders. I have never heard members of either of those groups say "That's a good question. I'm afraid I really do not know the answer.

I didn't mention them in my post because I didn't want to stray too far.

Segev Moran

To believe otherwise, I'd have to believe Atlas, Athena, Shango, Shiva, Pinga ... the Minoan Mother Goddess, Aumanil, et al. are real, actual gods. There is no evidence to support that conclusion.
I don't really understand your reasoning.
It seems like you claim that you either believe all or none.
Also, there is a big difference between not believing there is a god and claiming with such certainty that it is BS

Milton Platt

Though I reject all religions and named man-made gods, I don't consider myself to be an atheist, and recently have been increasingly inclined toward deistic beliefs, though I don't believe in a "God" in the sense that most people think of "God." The purpose of this post is to express my issue with atheism, particularly strong atheism, and how it is difficult to reconcile a fully atheistic position with Big Bang cosmology. I recognize that many people who describe themselves as atheists will probably agree with most of what I say here, so I hope I'm not straw-manning the atheist position here.

In any case, strong atheism, at least the way I understand it, asserts that there are no intelligent or creative forces in the universe beyond the natural universe as we see it. Additionally, most atheists believe that the universe began as an inconceivably small particle that exploded and rapidly expanded to produce the universe that we know today. I believe this as well, however I find it problematic to assert with confidence that there was no intelligent or supernatural agent involved in this process. Think about it this way: Have you ever seen an explosion produce order? Every example of an explosion that I can think of produces chaos, not order. Yet somehow, according to atheists, this infinitely tiny particle exploded in such a way as to produce an orderly universe (more or less) built upon fundamental particles whose interactions are dictated by specific physical laws. All of the matter and energy in this tiny particle that exploded somehow just re-arranged itself to form galaxies, stars, planets, and the conditions for life, and then life evolved and here we are, along with everything we know and love. Ultimately, according to this perspective, everything and everyone we know and love are ultimately the product of an entirely un-directed explosion that just happened to produce these conditions that would give rise to everything and everyone in existence, and ultimately, it's all meaningless, and the big bang was just a convenient accident that just happened to produce all the necessary conditions for the physical laws of the universe to cause atoms to re-arrange in such a way as to produce the universe as we know it, and to produce all of the wonders and beauties of it all. This is hard for me to believe. Bear in mind that if the initial conditions of the universe were even slightly different, there is no way that life, or even physical structures like galaxies, would exist.

Of course I'm not asserting that any specific god of any religion orchestrated the whole process, nor am I trying to create my own magic genie-god of the gaps to deal with this problem. It's even more ridiculous to believe a magical anthropomorphic immortal genie created it all with an incantation spell. My purpose for this post is just to encourage atheists to keep an open mind. Maybe there's something greater than us out there that is behind the whole thing. Maybe we'll never know what it is, or if it exists. In any case, it's interesting to speculate about, though many (though certainly not all) atheists tend to pooh-pooh any suggestion of a possible intelligent agent or creative force involved in the origin of the universe. Some of them also mock the idea that there could possibly be a purpose for all of this. I think that's a closed-minded mistake.

You don't have to be a "strong" atheist to be an atheist. You can simply reject the gods so far proposed as non-existent due to insufficient evidence. That does not mean you believe there are no gods, it simply means that you are unconvinced about the proposed ones. In any case, the one proposing a god must define and demonstrate the god's existence.

As to deistic gods, it is my understanding that a deistic god is one who simply set the universe in motion and then has taken a hands-off approach. The god does not interfere materially with the universe in any way. If this is the case, then that kind of god is the equivalent of a non-existent god. There may be different takes on deistic gods, perhaps. I haven't heard of them. In either case, deistic or theistic, a god that can't be demonstrated to exist doesn't warrant belief.

Rational Agnostic

You don't have to be a "strong" atheist to be an atheist. You can simply reject the gods so far proposed as non-existent due to insufficient evidence. That does not mean you believe there are no gods, it simply means that you are unconvinced about the proposed ones. In any case, the one proposing a god must define and demonstrate the god's existence.

As to deistic gods, it is my understanding that a deistic god is one who simply set the universe in motion and then has taken a hands-off approach. The god does not interfere materially with the universe in any way. If this is the case, then that kind of god is the equivalent of a non-existent god. There may be different takes on deistic gods, perhaps. I haven't heard of them. In either case, deistic or theistic, a god that can't be demonstrated to exist doesn't warrant belief.

Intuition tells me that something brought the universe into existence. I don't know what it was, and certainly don't think for a minute it was anthropomorphic. But, the deistic position is where I lean.

Milton Platt

Intuition tells me that something brought the universe into existence. I don't know what it was, and certainly don't think for a minute it was anthropomorphic. But, the deistic position is where I lean.

Many people are deists (even some who think they are theists).
I can't disprove your deist god (well, maybe, if you defined it precisely enough for me to understand what it actually was) but that doesn't really matter.
I would argue, however, that a god that does nothing measurable in the universe and cannot be quantified in any way is not worth considering.

And if you are just going to rename natural forces as god, why bother.

Rational Agnostic

Many people are deists (even some who think they are theists).
I can't disprove your deist god (well, maybe, if you defined it precisely enough for me to understand what it actually was) but that doesn't really matter.
I would argue, however, that a god that does nothing measurable in the universe and cannot be quantified in any way is not worth considering.

I have no definition of god, and I have no clue what the nature of the cause of the universe or god could be, or what this "God" is like. I have no idea what the cause of the universe was, but I believe that it had a cause, and the "cause" is what I label as "God." Certainly don't think it was a "personal" god that keeps track of sins etc.

Milton Platt

I have no definition of god, and I have no clue what the nature of the cause of the universe or god could be, or what this "God" is like. I have no idea what the cause of the universe was, but I believe that it had a cause, and the "cause" is what I label as "God." Certainly don't think it was a "personal" god that keeps track of sins etc.

Understood. Just wondering why you like the god label. Why not just leave it as unknown forces.

Rational Agnostic

Understood. Just wondering why you like the god label. Why not just leave it as unknown forces.

I don't have any problem leaving it as unknown forces. I guess where I differ from some atheists is that I don't believe the universe was an accident, or that it's purposeless. I think their *might* be some grand, unfathomable plan behind the whole universe but I'm not sure. I dont believe in a personal god or life after death or anything like that, but I'm not a nihilist.

Milton Platt

I don't have any problem leaving it as unknown forces. I guess where I differ from some atheists is that I don't believe the universe was an accident, or that it's purposeless. I think their *might* be some grand, unfathomable plan behind the whole universe but I'm not sure. I dont believe in a personal god or life after death or anything like that, but I'm not a nihilist.

No argument with that, Mr. Farnsworth.........I only differ in that I will not suppose a plan until it is demonstrated. thanks for explaining your take on things.

gnostic

The Lost One
I'm trying to understand what you wrote, so if I get it wrong, it would be kind of you to correct me below, without saying I lie. I find the leaps of faith made by skeptics so great, I need not lie!

1. There was nothing here.
2. Then, a singularity was here.
3. Then, everything was here.
4. There is no other universe/dimension/multiverse so what made the singularity is before linear time/light, and is eternal.
5. The universe is eternal, therefore, despite the conservation of mass and energy.

Currently, there are no “scientific theory” on what the universe was like before the Big Bang.

There are number of theoretical hypotheses about pre-BB, but no scientific theory.

Scientific theories require evidences. There are no verifiable evidences to these hypotheses, but there are mathematical proofs (eg equations and formulas are proofs; proofs are not evidences).

These are provable hypotheses (theoretical physics), but not scientific theories (empirical physics):
  • Multiverse model
  • Oscillating model (or the Big Bounce, where the universe go through a series of “Bang” and “Crunch”)
  • Superstring cosmology
  • Superstring theory
  • M-theory

I never said the BB theory is refuted because we don't know what happened before the universe came.

No faith is required to know or believe what happened before our universe began, except that:

1. You have a problem of infinite regression
2. The Steady State theory is rejected not only because of BB knowledge, but because of thermodynamics
3. Thermodynamics and conservation speak strongly against an eternal universe
4. You still have a problem of infinite regression

We have a great book, including infinite love, free gifts, and predictive prophecy, that alleviate some of this burden, requiring only the faith of a child to be saved

There you go again. More strawman.

You are to your old trick about the Big Bang and Steady State, because in the past threads you have generalised that atheists only followed Steady State and theists only followed the Big Bang model. You are hinting at this false generalisation again.

You are generalising that everyone who are atheists today, will only accept Fred Hoyle’s Steady State Model, because Hoyle was an atheist. And you are generalising only theists accept Georges Lemaître’s Big Bang model because the Belgian Lemaître was a theist and Catholic priest.

Such generalisation is dishonest.

Modern physical cosmologies are not about theism vs atheism, theists vs atheists, because both theism and atheism are irrelevant and they are not science.

Modern science are religion-neutral, meaning it has nothing to do with atheism or theism.

Second, no one accepted Steady State Model today, because it was debunked in 1964, because of the discovery of Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR), by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson.

And guess who predicted the CMBR?

It was a 1948’s team effort of Ralph Alpher and Robert Herman, plus with Alpher’s former professor, George Gamow, who predicted the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis (BBN). And it was these three (Gamow, Alpher and Herman) who expanded the expanding universe model of 1920s, and their works on BBN and CMBR are still accepted today.

All three are non-theists (could be atheists or agnostics), and Gamow is definitely an atheist, and a Russian physicist, who defected to the US, in 1934.

Alpher was one of his student during his teaching at American university in 1930s. Alpher would assist Gamow with his paper on Big Bang Nucleosynthesis in 1948, just as Gamow would assist Alpher and Herman with CMBR.

Gamow was himself a former student of Alexander Friedmann, another Russian physicist and an atheist. Friedmann released his paper on the expanding universe model in 1922, before Lemaître did in 1927.

They wrote their hypotheses independent from each other. But there was 2nd person who wrote independent paper on the expanding universe model before Lemaître. In 1924-1925, an American physicist and mathematician, Howard Percy Robertson.

Robertson, like Friedmann was of atheist background. Robertson predicted in his paper that observing galaxies “redshift” would show and mean the galaxies were moving away from each other, meaning the universe is still expanding. Robertson would continue to do more work on his expanding universe cosmology with fellow American physicist Arthur Geoffrey Walker in early 1930s.

Albert Einstein met all three scientists, and read their papers individually in 1922, 1925 and 1927, even though he was advocating his own cosmology that the universe was perfect and unchanging, known as the Static Universe Model, competing against their independent expanding universe model.

In 1929, the American astronomer Edwin Hubble confirmed Robertson‘s prediction regarding to the redshift. Hubble himself was an atheist.

So these pioneers, Friedmann, Robertson and Hubble in 1920s were all three early advocates for expanding universe model, just as Gamow, Alpher and Herman in 1948, and they were all not theists. And none of these men supported Hoyle’s Steady State Model (1949-51).

I am not denying Lemaître’s work, but he wasn’t the only scientist working on the expanding universe model.

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't have any problem leaving it as unknown forces. I guess where I differ from some atheists is that I don't believe the universe was an accident, or that it's purposeless.
But even scientists who are atheists, don’t believe the universe was an accident or random.

Purpose implies conscious “intent”. There are no intent or purpose, and no evidences to support consciousness or intelligent being existing before the Big Bang.

You are just projecting deist belief and making false equivalence just as creationists and ID adherents do.

gnostic

The Lost One
You don't have to be a "strong" atheist to be an atheist. You can simply reject the gods so far proposed as non-existent due to insufficient evidence.
I feel the same way being an agnostic.

Being a weak agnostic, I don’t accept any belief of god being true, until there are evidences to support his existence.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
"I don't know" is a display of honesty.

Throughout the history of man, people have said "GodDidIt" when the honest answer was "I don't know".

Many people prefer BS to "I don't know". It seems that includes you.

I sometimes use I don't know--it IS a powerful statement. But here's what we DO know:

There is conservation of matter and energy, and problems of infinite regression, so the universe has to be CREATED.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So, Jews wrote that they would be persecuted. That wasn't prescience, that was an acknowledgement of their own history.
So, Jews wrote that they would someday return to their holy land. That wasn't prescience, that was a hope and a dream. Kinda like M. L. King's "I have a dream.."

Please show where 1948 is included in the prophecies.

I pray your ears will open to hear, since it's not "persecuted", it's IN EVERY NATION WHERE SCATTERED, which happened in dozens of nations, for millennia, and STILL happens!

So, if I show you beyond a reasonable doubt that 1948 AD is in prophecy, will you convert?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You observe all you like, I will live in it and bring others to eternal life IMHO.

And based on the FACT that matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed, you've got some splainin' to do, Lucy!

GOD.

No, your beliefs are based upon myths. That has been shown time after time.

The lack of an answer has never justified the belief in an invisible friend.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Currently, there are no “scientific theory” on what the universe was like before the Big Bang.

There are number of theoretical hypotheses about pre-BB, but no scientific theory.

Scientific theories require evidences. There are no verifiable evidences to these hypotheses, but there are mathematical proofs (eg equations and formulas are proofs; proofs are not evidences).

These are provable hypotheses (theoretical physics), but not scientific theories (empirical physics):
  • Multiverse model
  • Oscillating model (or the Big Bounce, where the universe go through a series of “Bang” and “Crunch”)
  • Superstring cosmology
  • Superstring theory
  • M-theory

There you go again. More strawman.

You are to your old trick about the Big Bang and Steady State, because in the past threads you have generalised that atheists only followed Steady State and theists only followed the Big Bang model. You are hinting at this false generalisation again.

You are generalising that everyone who are atheists today, will only accept Fred Hoyle’s Steady State Model, because Hoyle was an atheist. And you are generalising only theists accept Georges Lemaître’s Big Bang model because the Belgian Lemaître was a theist and Catholic priest.

Such generalisation is dishonest.

Modern physical cosmologies are not about theism vs atheism, theists vs atheists, because both theism and atheism are irrelevant and they are not science.

Modern science are religion-neutral, meaning it has nothing to do with atheism or theism.

Second, no one accepted Steady State Model today, because it was debunked in 1964, because of the discovery of Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR), by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson.

And guess who predicted the CMBR?

It was a 1948’s team effort of Ralph Alpher and Robert Herman, plus with Alpher’s former professor, George Gamow, who predicted the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis (BBN). And it was these three (Gamow, Alpher and Herman) who expanded the expanding universe model of 1920s, and their works on BBN and CMBR are still accepted today.

All three are non-theists (could be atheists or agnostics), and Gamow is definitely an atheist, and a Russian physicist, who defected to the US, in 1934.

Alpher was one of his student during his teaching at American university in 1930s. Alpher would assist Gamow with his paper on Big Bang Nucleosynthesis in 1948, just as Gamow would assist Alpher and Herman with CMBR.

Gamow was himself a former student of Alexander Friedmann, another Russian physicist and an atheist. Friedmann released his paper on the expanding universe model in 1922, before Lemaître did in 1927.

They wrote their hypotheses independent from each other. But there was 2nd person who wrote independent paper on the expanding universe model before Lemaître. In 1924-1925, an American physicist and mathematician, Howard Percy Robertson.

Robertson, like Friedmann was of atheist background. Robertson predicted in his paper that observing galaxies “redshift” would show and mean the galaxies were moving away from each other, meaning the universe is still expanding. Robertson would continue to do more work on his expanding universe cosmology with fellow American physicist Arthur Geoffrey Walker in early 1930s.

Albert Einstein met all three scientists, and read their papers individually in 1922, 1925 and 1927, even though he was advocating his own cosmology that the universe was perfect and unchanging, known as the Static Universe Model, competing against their independent expanding universe model.

In 1929, the American astronomer Edwin Hubble confirmed Robertson‘s prediction regarding to the redshift. Hubble himself was an atheist.

So these pioneers, Friedmann, Robertson and Hubble in 1920s were all three early advocates for expanding universe model, just as Gamow, Alpher and Herman in 1948, and they were all not theists. And none of these men supported Hoyle’s Steady State Model (1949-51).

I am not denying Lemaître’s work, but he wasn’t the only scientist working on the expanding universe model.

I'm aware that alternative models exist for what I lump as "multiverse" or if you like, "universe from somewhere else".

**You are generalising that everyone who are atheists today, will only accept Fred Hoyle’s Steady State Model, because Hoyle was an atheist. And you are generalising only theists accept Georges Lemaître’s Big Bang model because the Belgian Lemaître was a theist and Catholic priest.**

No! I'm stating categorically that no respected cosmologists believe SS because of thermodynamics, infinite regression and other problems, and all accept BB, but BB relies on infinite regression and SomethingIDon'tKnowWhatDidIt.

PS. The Bible says the universe is expanding. That should make you sit up to take notice!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm aware that alternative models exist for what I lump as "multiverse" or if you like, "universe from somewhere else".

**You are generalising that everyone who are atheists today, will only accept Fred Hoyle’s Steady State Model, because Hoyle was an atheist. And you are generalising only theists accept Georges Lemaître’s Big Bang model because the Belgian Lemaître was a theist and Catholic priest.**

No! I'm stating categorically that no respected cosmologists believe SS because of thermodynamics, infinite regression and other problems, and all accept BB, but BB relies on infinite regression and SomethingIDon'tKnowWhatDidIt.

PS. The Bible says the universe is expanding. That should make you sit up to take notice!
No, the Bible does not say that the universe is expanding. You are merely reinterpreting one verse taken out of context. By your standards the Bible also says that the Earth is flat.

ecco

Veteran Member
I don't really understand your reasoning.
That's understandable. Many people don't understand other people's reasoning on any variety of subjects

It seems like you claim that you either believe all or none.
No. I believe none.

However, if you believe one, then the logical question to ask yourself is why you don't believe all the others. Then take whatever answers you came up with and apply them to the one you do believe. If you find that 99.99% of all gods are the creations of man's imaginings, then how can you logically conclude that your one is somehow different?

Also, there is a big difference between not believing there is a god and claiming with such certainty that it is BS
See above.