• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assisted Death.

Are you in support of, or against Assisted Death?

• For

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Against

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But your psychological malfunction can be remedied, if you seek to allow it. Someone with an incurable, terminal illness cannot.
That's bull****. Therapy and drugs doesn't work for everyone, no matter how hard they try. This sounds much like shaming. It's not much different from when people say "oh, just try harder. Get outside, make friends, think happy thoughts". Then when you inevitably fail, they blame you! Bull****!

So: have you ever watched someone incurably sit there day by day slowly starting to forget who they are? Can you imagine what that's like? And do you believe it's better to let that person live as a shell, or let them die in a fashion of their choosing while they still have a sense of self?
Why don't you try imagining what I feel? Why is physical pain more than psychological pain? I'd trade my psychological pain for physical pain any day.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Who says you don't have the option to kill yourself? Or you are a coward who needs someone to do it for you?
No, no. I don't mind doing it myself. I just don't want to **** it up. If I'm going to kill myself, I'm not going to half-*** it damn it, and there is no way for me to obtain the amount of barbiturates I'd need to ensure I don't wake up.

It's like a condom in that respect. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :D
Precisely.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Against. I don't believe in promoting a culture of suicide. It also defeats the purpose of having anti-suicide programs. Societies can't have both at the same time.

There is usually a stipulation that someone is suffering or does not have a quality of life before it will be done. It's not willy nilly.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There is usually a stipulation that someone is suffering or does not have a quality of life before it will be done. It's not willy nilly.
Those "stipulations" mean **** because we have people using assisted suicide services who are not suffering from terminal illnesses or having an objective loss of quality of life.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I really don't care at this point. If he's offended, he'll let me know.
Pft, like anyone can offend me. No, no. Just frustrated as to why you're against it. Something about pain; there's no upper-threshold. There is no point where it plateaus, because it doesn't. At all. That is what I want the option for, should it come to be that pain is the only sensation I can feel, but my body isn't kind enough to just die.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Pft, like anyone can offend me. No, no. Just frustrated as to why you're against it. Something about pain; there's no upper-threshold. There is no point where it plateaus, because it doesn't. At all. That is what I want the option for, should it come to be that pain is the only sensation I can feel, but my body isn't kind enough to just die.
I'm against it because, besides the morality/ethics of it, I notice a pathetic double standard in this subject. Physical pain is held to be more "real" than psychological pain. So we're all supposed to take pity on people who have cancer or other terminal illness but people suffering from severe depression are told "well, you can be treated" and we're brushed aside. If our pain isn't important and we should just "buck up", then so should the others.

Marisa

I'm against it because, besides the morality/ethics of it, I notice a pathetic double standard in this subject. Physical pain is held to be more "real" than psychological pain. So we're all supposed to take pity on people who have cancer or other terminal illness but people suffering from severe depression are told "well, you can be treated" and we're brushed aside. If our pain isn't important and we should just "buck up", then so should the others.
I will go on record as one who believes assisted suicide should be available, and doesn't differently quantify the suffering of emotionally disturbed. As I said, my mother was BiPolar. I will say that mental is still stigmatized in the US, and I firmly believe that this is wrong and needs to be rectified.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I didn't say any of that, though. I just said that one can grow numb to emotional pain.

Marisa

I'm pointing out a double standard.
When you're chastising someone for doing something to you that you're doing to someone else, YOU are the only one possessing a double standard. You're saying it's all right for you to do it to others when you feel it needs doing, but no-****-body better do it to you. You're shooting your argument in the foot when you do that. Any moral high ground you might have had, you lost.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I will go on record as one who believes assisted suicide should be available, and doesn't differently quantify the suffering of emotionally disturbed. As I said, my mother was BiPolar. I will say that mental is still stigmatized in the US, and I firmly believe that this is wrong and needs to be rectified.
So should the severely depressed be offered assisted suicide services?
I didn't say any of that, though. I just said that one can grow numb to emotional pain.
Not really.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
That's bull****. Therapy and drugs doesn't work for everyone, no matter how hard they try. This sounds much like shaming. It's not much different from when people say "oh, just try harder. Get outside, make friends, think happy thoughts". Then when you inevitably fail, they blame you! Bull****!

True. But neurology is a burgeoning field.

Why don't you try imagining what I feel? Why is physical pain more than psychological pain? I'd trade my psychological pain for physical pain any day.

I could try, but it would pale in comparison to feeling yourself ebb away day by day into nothingness.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
When you're chastising someone for doing something to you that you're doing to someone else, YOU are the only one possessing a double standard. You're saying it's all right for you to do it to others when you feel it needs doing, but no-****-body better do it to you. You're shooting your argument in the foot when you do that. Any moral high ground you might have had, you lost.
You're reading too much into my posts. Best to just drop it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Not all who are for the legal right to death hold such a double standard, but you are right that some do. The dismissal of mental illness as a serious affair has been diminishing over the past couple decades, though there is still some ways to go and there are still many misconceptions. Such as this rubbish @Nietzsche keeps spouting about how one can grow numb to emotional pain or illnesses. It does not work like that.