• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking all Sikhs:

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
(Gursikh included)

How do you view your religion/beliefs as the "true" way? It is relatively new in the scheme of things... yet, I wonder due to my beliefs on time itself... Thanks for replies!

Onkara

Hello Comet
I think this is a good question and I am looking forward to the Sikh replies, I have much respect and adoration for the Sikh way, and bow to the Sri Guru Granth Shahib ji. I am curious as to what you mean by "I wonder due to my beliefs on time itself", do you mean the relationship between Waheguru (Akal purat) and human experience of time?

chinu

chinu
(Gursikh included)

How do you view your religion/beliefs as the "true" way? It is relatively new in the scheme of things... yet, I wonder due to my beliefs on time itself... Thanks for replies!

If religion is made for some special persons then --- religion is man made.
If religion is made for all then --- religion is god-made.

So, sikh is the religion made for each and every person on this earth, its not only mine.

First of all --- Chinu, don't want to lower the status of sikh-religion by saying that it is made only for sikhs, perhaps, it's for all.

Secondly, as do i understands, there are only two types of beliefs, in the whole world, namely: "Man-matts" and "Gur-matts".

Man-matt is the term used for such persons who use their own intelligences for doing devotions (Bhakti), Like: they eat, they sleep, they devote time, they devlop relations, According to their own MINDS.

Gur-matt is the term used for such persons who never use their own intelligence for doing devotions (Bhakti), they ever use to walk on the path as shown/discribed by their guru's.

So, sikhi is gur-matt, and is ---- for all.

_/\_
Chinu

Last edited:

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I'm afraid English is my first language and some of the terms you have used confuse me a bit. It took me many, many years to explain what some call Tao... only for I came to understand the void.

I am curious as to what you mean by "I wonder due to my beliefs on time itself", do you mean the relationship between Waheguru (Akal purat) and human experience of time?

I do not believe in time per se... it is an illusion, nothing more.

When I lived and worked in Asia, I met a number of Sikks. I learned that they believe it essential that the men always have a sword on them. For practical reasons, the swords have become much smaller over the centuries. . .

I asked the last Sikk I met where his sword was. He pulled out his wallet and pulled out a minature sword about 3" long. It was merely a symbolic custom to him. I would like to hear more about this doctrine or custom.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
(Gursikh included)

Hello Comet ;),

i experienced inner purity , Oneness of Universe when i was in resonance with my beliefs ( Shabad /Word of Guru ) , Now its Seperation :D ,fault lies within me not my beliefs .

Nānak ṯin kī baṇī saḏā sacẖ hai jė nām rahe liv lā▫e. ||5||4||37||
[SIZE=+1]O Nanak, the words of those who are lovingly attuned to the Naam are true forever. ||5||4||37||[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi Comet,

Thanks for the question.

If I am understanding your question, you are asking how Sikhs view their religion as "the true way", meaning it is the most correct (or only correct) religion, am I right?

If so, this is not so much an issue in Sikhism, not really. Within Sikhism, it is deemed as the easiest and best path to obtain enlightenment and merge with God (Wahegurū) as it prohibits things it deems as superstitious practices (e.g., icon worship, bathing in sacred waters, pilgrimages, etc) as they are not considered to be spiritually beneficial.

It does not say that it is "the only way", though, and people from other religions are more than capable of obtaining a way to merge with God without Sikhism, however, it is not considered as easy to do so as it would be for one within Sikhism.

ਰਾਹ ਦੋਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਸੋਈ ਸਿਝਸੀ ॥
One who recognizes that all spiritual paths lead to the One shall be emancipated.

The first Sikh Gurū, Gurū Nānak Dev, said, "Na koi Hindu, na koi Musulman"; translated as "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim". To me, this means that one's religion does not actually matter to God. Within the Gurū Granth Sāhib, there are multiple people who were raised as Hindus and Muslims at the time: Kabīr, Farīd, and Baiṇī (aka Beni) were Muslims, and Bhikan, Sadhana, Sain, Trilochan, Jaidev, Surdās, Paramānand, etc were Hindus. Some others (such as Ravidās and Dhannā) were born in Hindu families but gave up such rites. All of these people are "Bhagats", or "Devotees" of God and their hymns are enshrined within Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib, and they are believed to have attained salvation (enlightenment).

If the religion did not allow for others to be able to reach God, then it would not have included such texts from people from other religions. ;)

This is summed up in Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib, uttered by Saint Kabīr:

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

If Sikhi (Sikhism) did say that other scriptures were wrong or that it was the only way, then we would have a case of people wandering around finding little to no ways to God for pretty much 200,000 years. That is not something Sikhs believe is the case and believe people have met with Him throughout history, including people such as Rāma, Kṛṣṇa, Jesus, and Muhammad.

It's like having someone teaching in science in Germany, and someone else teaching the same subject in France. The language and words may be different, but the message is ultimately the same, as Wahegurū cannot be limited by one religion, and to think so is considered quite the foolish thing to do.

Some people may interpret it differently, some people may even incorrectly interpret the the message wrongly due to misunderstandings. The destination is the same, even if the paths are slightly different, with different role models and teachers.

In short, it is not the religion one is that helps one obtain enlightenment, but it is the practices, and how much love they have for God and desire to worship him that is the most helpful. The more one acts on tradition like a robot, the less likely they are to reach enlightenment, as to go there, one needs to develop a relationship with God--not please Him by rituals that they hold no understanding of, no interest in, or no love for. It's not the actions, but the intent that helps one.

That's my interpretation, anyway. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be able to correct any errors. :)

If this isn't what you were after Comet, sorry for going on about something you weren't after. :D

(Gursikh included)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I asked the last Sikk I met where his sword was. He pulled out his wallet and pulled out a minature sword about 3" long. It was merely a symbolic custom to him. I would like to hear more about this doctrine or custom.

A Sikh who is an Amritdhari, Baptised into the Army of the Lord to protect the innocent, keeps the "panj kakke", the five Ks:

Kesh: unshorn hair. An Amritdhari is prohibited from removing his hair, as it is considered as a gift from God.

Kanga: a wooden comb, to comb their hair. Sikhs are not monastics who grow their hair and do not care for it, who live in forests. This represents cleanliness and discipline.

Kara: an iron bracelet. You will see almost all Sikhs wearing the iron bracelet. It is a reminder to do good work, God's work, all the time. It's a circle, which has no beginning nor end. Any Sikh who does a bad act only has to look at the kara on his or her wrist, and then the chances are, he or she will feel ashamed as they wear something which is to do good.

Kachhera: an undergarment worn for modesty and dignity and to control lust.

Kirpan: The sword. It can be from 90cm to about 8cm. It is to remind the Sikh to be prepared to fight against injustice to protect the innocent. A Sikh should not be walk past someone getting harmed who is innocent. However, they can't just draw their weapon willy-nilly, as Gurū Gobind Singh said, "When all other means are exhausted, only then is it right to draw the sword", thus saying that it should be a last resort.

I prefer the kirpān to be bigger than a few inches; keeping them so small that they are useless makes them as just a traditional icon, which is not the point of it at all.

Does this explain it? :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hi Comet,

Thanks for the question.

If I am understanding your question, you are asking how Sikhs view their religion as "the true way", meaning it is the most correct (or only correct) religion, am I right?

If so, this is not so much an issue in Sikhism, not really. Within Sikhism, it is deemed as the easiest and best path to obtain enlightenment and merge with God (Wahegurū) as it prohibits things it deems as superstitious practices (e.g., icon worship, bathing in sacred waters, pilgrimages, etc) as they are not considered to be spiritually beneficial.

It does not say that it is "the only way", though, and people from other religions are more than capable of obtaining a way to merge with God without Sikhism, however, it is not considered as easy to do so as it would be for one within Sikhism.

ਰਾਹ ਦੋਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਸੋਈ ਸਿਝਸੀ ॥
One who recognizes that all spiritual paths lead to the One shall be emancipated.

The first Sikh Gurū, Gurū Nānak Dev, said, "Na koi Hindu, na koi Musulman"; translated as "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim". To me, this means that one's religion does not actually matter to God. Within the Gurū Granth Sāhib, there are multiple people who were raised as Hindus and Muslims at the time: Kabīr, Farīd, and Baiṇī (aka Beni) were Muslims, and Bhikan, Sadhana, Sain, Trilochan, Jaidev, Surdās, Paramānand, etc were Hindus. Some others (such as Ravidās and Dhannā) were born in Hindu families but gave up such rites. All of these people are "Bhagats", or "Devotees" of God and their hymns are enshrined within Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib, and they are believed to have attained salvation (enlightenment).

If the religion did not allow for others to be able to reach God, then it would not have included such texts from people from other religions. ;)

This is summed up in Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib, uttered by Saint Kabīr:

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

If Sikhi (Sikhism) did say that other scriptures were wrong or that it was the only way, then we would have a case of people wandering around finding little to no ways to God for pretty much 200,000 years. That is not something Sikhs believe is the case and believe people have met with Him throughout history, including people such as Rāma, Kṛṣṇa, Jesus, and Muhammad.

It's like having someone teaching in science in Germany, and someone else teaching the same subject in France. The language and words may be different, but the message is ultimately the same, as Wahegurū cannot be limited by one religion, and to think so is considered quite the foolish thing to do.

Some people may interpret it differently, some people may even incorrectly interpret the the message wrongly due to misunderstandings. The destination is the same, even if the paths are slightly different, with different role models and teachers.

In short, it is not the religion one is that helps one obtain enlightenment, but it is the practices, and how much love they have for God and desire to worship him that is the most helpful. The more one acts on tradition like a robot, the less likely they are to reach enlightenment, as to go there, one needs to develop a relationship with God--not please Him by rituals that they hold no understanding of, no interest in, or no love for. It's not the actions, but the intent that helps one.

That's my interpretation, anyway. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be able to correct any errors. :)

If this isn't what you were after Comet, sorry for going on about something you weren't after. :D

thanks Kaal , well explained my bro :)

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
chinuji and odionji ki jai

two beautifull comments ...............

quoting chinu......"if religion is made for some special persons , then its man made"
"if its made for all , then its god made"

all glories to that statement !

quoting odion ......."in short its not the religion one is , the practices that helps one attain enlightenment , but its the practices and how much love they have for god , and the desire to worship him that is most helpfull"................."it's not the action
but the intention that helps one"

like wise all glories to this too !

would either or both of you please illuminate on 'Waheguru' for me , I have only an assumption not a true understanding .

with great thanks ratikala

chinu

chinu
would either or both of you please illuminate on 'Waheguru' for me , I have only an assumption not a true understanding .

Ratikala ji, Till... 10th guru --- "Waheguru" was gurmantra, given to the students by their guru's at the time of initiation.

Truely to understand what is "Waheguru" --- there is need to understand, What is Gurumantra & Initiation, or really what for are they, or what are their real goals.

If in a short you want that --- Chinu --- should illuminate "Waheguru" ? than --- Chinu --- can only say that "Waheguru" itself was a ray of "Light" that time.. :)

_/\_
Chinu

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
would either or both of you please illuminate on 'Waheguru' for me , I have only an assumption not a true understanding
Wahegurū is the Lord, simply put.

Can be summed up in the Mūl Mantar (mantra):

One God, Truth (or Existence) is His Name. The Creator. No fear, no hate. Beyond time. Unborn, self-existent, the teacher of grace (sometimes translated as "By Guru's Grace", but I don't feel that reflects the message right).

Sikhism is panentheistic (God is in all, but is more than all), without avatārs, and it is not exclusivist: God accepts worship from all. He is Love personified. He never hates another. :)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear chinuji and odionji

thank you both for your replys .

"teacher of grace" thank you for your heart felt reply .." god is love personified"..".god who excepts worship from all"......

chinuji , yes please do give further explanation , I find the different comprehension that each might hold gives me more insight , and please if it is permissable ? explain guru initiation ,(guru initiation mantra)

thank you ratikala

chinu

chinu
dear chinuji and odionji

thank you both for your replys .

"teacher of grace" thank you for your heart felt reply .." god is love personified"..".god who excepts worship from all"......
:no: God is not love personified, God is Love.
:yes: Guru is love personified, God in man.
chinuji , yes please do give further explanation , I find the different comprehension that each might hold gives me more insight , and please if it is permissable ? explain guru initiation ,(guru initiation mantra)

Initiation in christanity,
Jiya daan in Sikhs,
Bai'at in Muslims,
Diksha in hindus,

And so on... their are different names given by different saints according to the time.

basically they all are one. :)

_/\_
Chinu

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Sikhism is non-dualistic, and usually considered monistic. :)

Fair enough.
Sometimes non-dual and monistic (with other words modifying it) seem interchangeable.

"Non" some how, imo, averts entering the either-or-ness of mind, bringing unity to the forefront.

Thanks
:namaste
SageTree

Onkara

Fair enough.
Sometimes non-dual and monistic (with other words modifying it) seem interchangeable.

"Non" some how, imo, averts entering the either-or-ness of mind, bringing unity to the forefront.

Thanks
:namaste
SageTree

Some say it is that it is closer to Achintya bhedAbheda or inconceivable one-ness and difference.

To be honest what makes Sikhi so profound, for me, is that it is able to address each level without negating another. So it can appeal to dualist, non-dualist and everyone in between depending on how the verse appears to address the listener's level of understanding (should that even be a fair term.)

I prefer "no duality" over "non-duality".