• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask MysticSang'ha anything

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Is the Dharma that the Buddha taught a universal life force?..wondering,thanks

From my understanding, no. At the risk of oversimplifying it, Dharma is Law....e.g. what goes up must come down, the laws of thermodynamics.....and specifically in Buddhism the three marks of existence. Observing phenomena reveals the Dharma to be these observations formulated as sort of Theories of Existence. When "x" happens, we see "y" as a result in other words.

I see a life force as a more esoteric understanding of utilizing the Eightfold Path, how thoughts, speech, action, concentration, effort, livelihood, etc. that molds and shapes how phenomena occurs.

Personally, I think those are important distinctions to be made.

AmerikanZen

If Dharma is Buddha's Law then it must be some sort of cause & effect of Karma? good and bad actions/choices/behavior?etc

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If Dharma is Buddha's Law then it must be some sort of cause & effect of Karma? good and bad actions/choices/behavior?etc

I don't see it that way, AZ. Dharma doesn't affect Karma. Both are explanations of the reality of how phenomena works. Not the causes or conditions for phenomena.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ok, why Tibetan Buddhism and not Mahayana or Shinto or other variety of Buddhist faiths?..

I practiced Zen Buddhism for about 10 years, experienced health problems, faced the possibility of my own impending death as a result of these health problems, and began an inquiry into Tibetan Buddhism directly because the writings addressed them in ways that I comprehended better and was able to apply.

I also find the esoteric teachings of Dakini to be of immense value in the study and practice, since I find much of the culture within many Buddhist circles continuing with their patriarchal hangovers.

At the moment, I'm a practitioner of Vajrayana mostly because I just simply prefer it. But if you're looking for reasons and meaning behind my choices, those are the best I can come up with. :)

AmerikanZen

How did the "Buddhist Attitude of Mind" come about? Does it stem from the Buddha's explanations concerning Mind Science?..wondering,thanks

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
As a bisexual, how does that jive with the anuttarayoga to you?

You know, I've come across some pretty heterosexist teachings and cultural hangovers from centuries and centuries of tantras and dharma passed down, but I've also found a good number of exegetical studies that are very inclusive of the esoteric tantras with GLBTQs.

Now, back to the yoga tantra itself, I have found anything that teaches the transformation of sexual energy into creative potential for the all the world around us to be a highly impactive way of doing good for others. I've had many discussions here about the power of our sensual and sexual energy, and that when channeled effectively toward the Eightfold Path, increases the karmic impact of the good deeds.

Well, that's what I got so far.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why that avatar? For how much time have you had it? Which was your first avatar in RF? which are other avatars you have or have had in other forums?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Why that avatar? For how much time have you had it? Which was your first avatar in RF? which are other avatars you have or have had in other forums?

I've had this avatar for a few years, maybe three. I wanted an avatar that expressed the image of fierce femininity while maintaining a sense of lightheartedness. I originally wanted a thangka showing one of the esoteric Dakinis, in all her glory.

But after looking through a few images, I was left feeling rather empty. It was Smoke who offered a suggestion, since I opened a thread asking for help from the rest of the members. I got a lot of great ideas, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't find anything better than the cute dominatrix. ;)

My previous avatar was Amitahba Buddha. I liked the colors.

The only other avatars I ever used before RF were images from the LOTR film trilogy, specifically Eowyn. :D

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Hi MysticSang'ha :)

Could you tell us a bit about Amoghasiddhi and Green Tara of the Karma Family?

Thanks!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You may have answered this question concerning Bodhisattvas already and I'm too lazy to go back and read all the answers. If so my apologies. All my Buddhist learning is self-inflicted so bear with me.
1. Would one have any doubt if one were a Bohdisattva?
2. Does one have to be fully Enlightened to be a Bohdisattva?
3. My understanding is a Bohdisattva is one who has reached Nirvana but has chosen to return to help others. True? Not true?

Thanks for your insight.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Thanks for the questions, everyone. I need a vacation for a good week and come back when I'm ready to answer your questions clearly and authentically. I've been very busy lately, and now that the performance run at the studio is done, I'll have a little bit of time to offer up my answers.

:)

Kalibhakta

Jai Maha Kali Ma!
Namaste MysticSang'ha! I have a few questions I would like to ask, if it is alright.

What do you know of Chod? I know the basic idea it is sacrificing your body to gods and demons to be fed to them in both healing them and killing your ego, but I am sure there a deeper meaning to that. The whole thing seems poetic and beautiful

What is a Dakini, exactly? As far as I know they are not Buddhas or Bodhisattvas, but clearly they are enlightened beings. I could tell you how they work in Hinduism where the term is "Yogini", but I wonder where the fit the Buddha/Bodhisattva divide. I suppose I could ask the same of the "Wisdom Kings" and "Protector Deities"

As for my last question, what is Bon all about? I can hardly find anything on it other then an "Alternate" Tibetan Buddhism with different deities but basically the same ideology.

I am so sorry for all these questions, but these things have all been puzzling me greatly. Thank you very much for your time, it is very much appreciated!