• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Me Anything About Oneness,Otherwise Known As Apostolic Pentecostal

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the purpose of the book Lamentations in the Oneness church? Does it play a role in creeds, doctrines or social activities? Do you fast, and if so why? Do you use the same canon as most other Christian groups? Is it wrong for a Oneness member to attend a trinitarian church such as a Roman Catholic church and to partake of transubstantiation? What about the reverse? What about a marriage between a trinitarian and a Oneness member?

Stan Hallett

Christian
Premium Member
What is the purpose of the book Lamentations in the Oneness church? Does it play a role in creeds, doctrines or social activities? Do you fast, and if so why? Do you use the same canon as most other Christian groups? Is it wrong for a Oneness member to attend a trinitarian church such as a Roman Catholic church and to partake of transubstantiation? What about the reverse? What about a marriage between a trinitarian and a Oneness member?

The book of Lamentations does not play a great role. Although 1 Timothy 3:16 says; "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness".

Fasting is practiced by the individual on a voluntary basis. One would fast for a need, or an answer to prayer.

We use the same Bible as most Christian denominations. Typically for us the King James, or the New King James.

While we have no direct rule or instruction not to attend the services of another denomination, I'm not sure why one would want to. Many such as the one suggested, perform unbiblical sacraments and pray to statues basically practicing idolatry in my opinion. Why would one want to be a partaker in that?

We do not believe in transubstantiation. We do take communion on occasion and do it in remembrance of Him. But bread and wine are symbolic in my opinion and do not literally become His body or His blood in my belief. His body was about to be broken, and His blood was about to be shed. I believe that He was giving us a way to keep in memory the sacrifice He was about to make for us.

All are welcome to attend our services, which is the same with most Christian denominations that I am aware of.

Regarding marriage, 2 Corinthians 6:14 the Apostle Paul said; "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The book of Lamentations does not play a great role. Although 1 Timothy 3:16 says; "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness".

Fasting is practiced by the individual on a voluntary basis. One would fast for a need, or an answer to prayer.

We use the same Bible as most Christian denominations. Typically for us the King James, or the New King James.

While we have no direct rule or instruction not to attend the services of another denomination, I'm not sure why one would want to. Many such as the one suggested, perform unbiblical sacraments and pray to statues basically practicing idolatry in my opinion. Why would one want to be a partaker in that?

We do not believe in transubstantiation. We do take communion on occasion and do it in remembrance of Him. But bread and wine are symbolic in my opinion and do not literally become His body or His blood in my belief. His body was about to be broken, and His blood was about to be shed. I believe that He was giving us a way to keep in memory the sacrifice He was about to make for us.

All are welcome to attend our services, which is the same with most Christian denominations that I am aware of.

Regarding marriage, 2 Corinthians 6:14 the Apostle Paul said; "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"
Thanks for you reply!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I must admit that I've never run across this nuanced use of the word, "oneness". I've normally only heard it used in reference to Eastern thought and as a state of consciousness. Jesus, sadly, has never entered the picture, as it were.
I certainly am aware of its use this way. Believe it or not my friend, I was part of this organization in my youth many moons ago. So, if you have any questions about them, you may ask me as well. Ask away, as they say! :)

To start with, "Oneness" to them has to do with a theological view on nature of the Godhead. It doesn't have to do with the nature of Godhead and creation. It doesn't have to do with Unity, outside a definition of God. It's used strictly in an anti-Trinitarian sense.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think typically in is only Apostolic Pentecostals for most part that refer to themselves as Oneness, or One God Christians. The term as to that mindset is an accurate one.
Are you associated with, or were in the past associated with the UPCI?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I certainly am aware of its use this way. Believe it or not my friend, I was part of this organization in my youth many moons ago. So, if you have any questions about them, you may ask me as well. Ask away, as they say! :)

To start with, "Oneness" to them has to do with a theological view on nature of the Godhead. It doesn't have to do with the nature of Godhead and creation. It doesn't have to do with Unity, outside a definition of God. It's used strictly in an anti-Trinitarian sense.
Haha. Now I understand why I was trying to be diplomatic, Windy. You know me, I'll chat about Oneness 'till the cows come home and then make you breakfast. :) So what I get from this nunaced version of oneness is a pure monotheisim? Would that be correct? @Stan Hallett is welcome to respond too.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
The book of Lamentations does not play a great role. Although 1 Timothy 3:16 says; "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"..............

Why not just direct people to your website?

If they have further questions they can ask them here.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Haha. Now I understand why I was trying to be diplomatic, Windy. You know me, I'll chat about Oneness 'till the cows come home and then make you breakfast. :)
I think if you and I were to meet in person and have a conversation, both of us would become quite hoarse. :)

So what I get from this nunaced version of oneness is a pure monotheisim? Would that be correct?
Yes. Historically in the early church you had points of view at play in questions over the nature of Godhead. Of those groups you have Tertullian who taught a form of early Trinitarian thought, Arian who taught what the modern-day Jehovah's Witnesses picked up that Jesus was "a god", in a created being sense of the word. And you have Sabellius which in the 3rd century weighing in the question countering that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost were simply modes or manifestations of the One God. A number of the early modern-day Pentecostals in 1913 were going through questions of doctrinal beliefs and practices as the movement was gaining in size, and one of them had a revelation that they should baptize in Jesus' name, instead of saying the words, "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost" spoken over the heads of the baptized. This lead to the revelation that "Jesus is the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost", and that's so because Jesus is the Father. Jesus in The Father incarnated. They have a saying that Jesus is "Father in creation, Son in redemption, and Holy Ghost in emmenation (or in the church)". They most resemble the Modalism of Sabellius.

So what them being called "Oneness Pentecostals" is about distinguishing themselves from other Pentecostals who accept the Trinity doctrine. The "Oneness" could be called a type of "radical monotheism", which eliminates the "messy" business theologies like Trinitarianism which delve more deeply into the nuances of the Godhead - which is more akin to the distinctions you see in Hinduism in theologies such as Saguna and Nirguna Brahman, Parabrahman, the various manifestations, etc. "Oneness" doctrine is more a rather literal and 'radical' form of monotheism (as opposed to Trinitarian monotheism), in the way it is current expressed and taught.

Any other questions? My fingers haven't become to bleed yet, since I can't make my voice hoarse talking about all this. :)

Stan Hallett

Christian
Premium Member
Are you associated with, or were in the past associated with the UPCI?

I have attended the services of some so-called UPCI churches in the past. It should be noted however that the United Pentecostal Church International is really a ministerial organization, and not a church denomination. Typically when someone says they are UPCI, what they are really says is that the pastor of the assembly they attend belongs to this ministerial organization.

While I know many good folks that are part of this organization, I could not abide with with some well intentioned but false extra-biblical teachings, mostly due to ignorance. This primarily revolves around legalism.

Stan Hallett

Christian
Premium Member
Why not just direct people to your website?

If they have further questions they can ask them here.

Anyone can certainly visit my blog and peruse the many posts there. However it nice to simply be able to ask and get an honest basic answer in a forum like this. This also gives me another outlet to talk to people.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have attended the services of some so-called UPCI churches in the past. It should be noted however that the United Pentecostal Church International is really a ministerial organization, and not a church denomination. Typically when someone says they are UPCI, what they are really says is that the pastor of the assembly they attend belongs to this ministerial organization.
I'm not sure what the distinction would be calling it a "ministerial organization". I don't see the difference, especially since they had put into place some years ago the requirement that pastors sign statements annually that they were to teach certain "holiness teachings" (what you seem to be referring to as "false extra-biblical teachings"). That's far more than a loose association of ministers, but rather stringent requirements imposed upon ministers who are part of this organization.

Historically the UPC was formed in 1945 as a denomination. I can't see a distinction between what they call themselves or anything else that is commonly recognized as a denomination. What do you see as the difference between a denomination and a ministerial organization?

While I know many good folks that are part of this organization, I could not abide with with some well intentioned but false extra-biblical teachings, mostly due to ignorance. This primarily revolves around legalism.
I assume you are referring to their "holiness standards", such as women not cutting their hair, wearing jewelry or makeup, pants or slacks, not listening to secular music, going to theaters, owning a television, and those sorts of standards? What does your church teach regarding those?

Also, does your church teach that if someone does not speaking in tongues they do not yet have the Holy Spirit and are therefore not saved?

Stan Hallett

Christian
Premium Member
Haha. Now I understand why I was trying to be diplomatic, Windy. You know me, I'll chat about Oneness 'till the cows come home and then make you breakfast. :) So what I get from this nunaced version of oneness is a pure monotheisim? Would that be correct? @Stan Hallett is welcome to respond too.

Pure monotheism, absolutely. But it is from a literal reading of God's Word. It starts in Genesis where it says "In the beginning God". It does not say a God, or one of the Gods. It does't even say Father. It says God.

God's chosen people of what Christians refer to as the Old Testament, or Old Covenant were monotheistic. They only knew one God. "Hear, O Israel:The Lord our God is one Lord" - Deuteronomy 6:4.

This was stated again by Jesus Himself: "The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord" - Mark 12:29.

God even went on to say that there was no other God: "I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me" - Isaiah 45:5.

"That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else" - Isaiah 45:6.

John 1:1 through John 1:14 is pretty clear who Jesus is and was.

Thomas called Jesus God in John 20:28 - "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed:blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed".

Jesus said; "I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him" - John 10:30. The Jews knew that He was claiming to e God, which is why they wanted to stone Him.

Then in John 14:8,9; "Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?"

In my thinking it works like this: God is a Spirit that is omnipresent. God then manifested himself in the flesh and He called that flesh His Son. There are not three persons in the Godhead. God is a Spirt and not a person. Jesus was the only person, who contained the Spirit of God and was God. The Holy Spirit is not some third person of a Godhead. It is the Spirit of God manifested to man.

When Jesus said; "I go to the Father" (several verses), he did not mean with the Father, He meant that He as Spirit returned to Spirit, in my opinion.

Sitting, or standing on, or is the right hand of God (Mark 16:19, Luke 22:69, Acts 7:55,56, Colossians 3:1, Hebrews 10:12, 1 Peter 3:22): This is symbolic of position and power. The Bible is clear that we will only see one throne, not two, or three. There is one throne and one that sits on the throne. In addition God is an omnipresent Spirit and has no physical right hand, or right hand side.

Stan Hallett

Christian
Premium Member
I'm not sure what the distinction would be calling it a "ministerial organization". I don't see the difference, especially since they had put into place some years ago the requirement that pastors sign statements annually that they were to teach certain "holiness teachings" (what you seem to be referring to as "false extra-biblical teachings"). That's far more than a loose association of ministers, but rather stringent requirements imposed upon ministers who are part of this organization.

Historically the UPC was formed in 1945 as a denomination. I can't see a distinction between what they call themselves or anything else that is commonly recognized as a denomination. What do you see as the difference between a denomination and a ministerial organization?

I assume you are referring to their "holiness standards", such as women not cutting their hair, wearing jewelry or makeup, pants or slacks, not listening to secular music, going to theaters, owning a television, and those sorts of standards? What does your church teach regarding those?

Also, does your church teach that if someone does not speaking in tongues they do not yet have the Holy Spirit and are therefore not saved?

Just my understanding. No one but a minster and can accepted or join. Congregants cannot "join the church" is my understanding. I have also seen many differences in standards or teachings from assembly to assembly. Many do not agree with one another. The main standard appears to be only in appearances (hair, makeup, dresses, etc.), oddly mostly directed toward women. This is in addition to a basic and fundamental doctrine of salvation. I am not expert and have no interest in speaking for them. I believe they are good people, and I agree with them on many doctrinal issues, however, legalism has done great harm in the Church, in my opinion.

We teach modesty only. God sees the heart and does not look on the outward appearance. I believe that should be our focus as well.

The teach the basic Bible principle that one must be born of the Spirit and of the water to enter the kingdom of heaven. The Bible gives very simple and basic instructions for this and leaves out any guesswork. One merely needs to read the book of Acts to know how one is baptized, and how one is filled with the Holy Spirit and the evidence of it with nothing added or taken away.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just my understanding. No one but a minster and can accepted or join. Congregants cannot "join the church" is my understanding.
That's interesting. It seems somewhat a matter of semantics, but in effect it's the same thing as anyone being a member of any church or denomination. If you come in teaching something other than what they want you to, they'll kick you out of their church or denomination just the same as anywhere else. :) Saying it's not the same thing doesn't make it not the same thing.

The main standard appears to be only in appearances (hair, makeup, dresses, etc.), oddly mostly directed toward women.
Yes, that is interesting about them. When they sent out this edict that all their churches must sign an agreement annually they would hold and teach these standards for their women particularly, many ministers turned in their UPC membership cards, so to speak. There was quite the outcry amongst them over how it was rammed down their throats while they were not included as part of the conversation. It made me smile how all the talk about themselves being the church "restored" in the end is the same as anything else they think they are somehow different from and immune to. That all came down years after I had left them.

however, legalism has done great harm in the Church, in my opinion.
It's rampant everywhere, expressed in many forms and beliefs.

The teach the basic Bible principle that one must be born of the Spirit and of the water to enter the kingdom of heaven. The Bible gives very simple and basic instructions for this and leaves out any guesswork. One merely needs to read the book of Acts to know how one is baptized, and how one is filled with the Holy Spirit and the evidence of it with nothing added or taken away.
There was this one man whom I knew in their church who, like all of us were taught that was what the Bible taught, and as a result believed that without speaking in tongues God had not saved him yet. This man came faithfully to the church every week, and each Sunday night would come up to the altar praying with all his heart to get the "gift of tongues" so he knew he was saved. Week after week, for three straight years he came, often weeping in despair that God was not accepting him because he wouldn't "give him the holy spirit", which he believed tongues was the evidence of that he had it. Since he hadn't spoken in tongues, he believed he was outside of God's acceptance of him. It was my experience of watching this man's despondency growing that in no small part led me in my youth to realize something was amiss with their understanding of God and what they read in scripture. To me, that was itself a legalistic form of doctrine, that there was a "formula" for salvation, which they specifically call it.

My question is how do you respond to those who are like that man who have enough faith to seek God for years, but being unable to speak in tongues believes they are still going to hell, if you believe if they don't speak in tongues they are not actually saved?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
There was this one man whom I knew in their church who, like all of us were taught that was what the Bible taught, and as a result believed that without speaking in tongues God had not saved him yet. This man came faithfully to the church every week, and each Sunday night would come up to the altar praying with all his heart to get the "gift of tongues" so he knew he was saved. Week after week, for three straight years he came, often weeping in despair that God was not accepting him because he wouldn't "give him the holy spirit", which he believed tongues was the evidence of that he had it. Since he hadn't spoken in tongues, he believed he was outside of God's acceptance of him. It was my experience of watching this man's despondency growing that in no small part led me in my youth to realize something was amiss with their understanding of God and what they read in scripture. To me, that was itself a legalistic form of doctrine, that there was a "formula" for salvation, which they specifically call it.
This part perked my interest in that it has always amazed me the lengths that human animals will go to prove their worth. Psychologically, they are on pretty thing ice, as the idea is predicated on the notion that they are just not good enough. The psychological damage that this kind of thinking can produce is disturbing in an of itself and is hardly something I could ever recommend. I understand that people have a need for a framework. That much I get, but to slavishly follow a framework is never wise. The map is NEVER the territory, as it were. It's such a pity that we (collectively) simply don't foster or nurture a sense, a relationship, with something that is buried deep within oneself and that aspect of being is perfectly happy with us as we are. Those less savory aspects of our characters become obsolete as understanding grows and, put simply, good people become better people.

My question is how do you respond to those who are like that man who have enough faith to seek God for years, but being unable to speak in tongues believes they are still going to hell, if you believe if they don't speak in tongues they are not actually saved?
I'd quietly suggest that they are simply misinformed and there is no reason to beat themselves up over a fabricated vision of reality. Reality already exists within and without them. Isn't it more reasonable to abandon something that is not working and to realize the salvation is in realization, not revelation, however "revealing" that realization may be?

Now if you want an answer within the man's framework, ugh, this ain't gonna be pretty. The biggest problem I can see is that the very framework is flawed.... hence you will see situations like you have outlined.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In my thinking it works like this: God is a Spirit that is omnipresent. God then manifested himself in the flesh and He called that flesh His Son. There are not three persons in the Godhead. God is a Spirt and not a person. Jesus was the only person, who contained the Spirit of God and was God. The Holy Spirit is not some third person of a Godhead. It is the Spirit of God manifested to man.

When Jesus said; "I go to the Father" (several verses), he did not mean with the Father, He meant that He as Spirit returned to Spirit, in my opinion.

Sitting, or standing on, or is the right hand of God (Mark 16:19, Luke 22:69, Acts 7:55,56, Colossians 3:1, Hebrews 10:12, 1 Peter 3:22): This is symbolic of position and power. The Bible is clear that we will only see one throne, not two, or three. There is one throne and one that sits on the throne. In addition God is an omnipresent Spirit and has no physical right hand, or right hand side.
I quite like the bolded part... and that is coming from an atheist. Granted, I'm not your garden variety atheist, but still... In spirit, pun intended, it mirrors my own thinking of what I term the larger identity. :) Oddly, I also have no problems with the concept of the Trinity either.... but hey... one has to remain flexible. :) Both are attempts to describe our unknown reality.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This part perked my interest in that it has always amazed me the lengths that human animals will go to prove their worth. Psychologically, they are on pretty thing ice, as the idea is predicated on the notion that they are just not good enough.
Since this thread is about a Q&A about this type of Christian belief and practices referred to as Oneness Pentecostalism, and in that I am for all intents and purposes an expert in it, having not only experience with them as one of them, but having a degree in theology from one of their more prominent Bible colleges (at that time, anyway), I certainly can respond in my understanding of them from the inside, now speaking from a perspective in the larger context of religion in general.

In regard to this observation, I think what I would say is that it's about proving one's worth more in the context of being accepted into a group. It's more about group-acceptance, in this case of being one of "the saved". In the church setting, which is a social group, even if the man in question was accepted by others in the church he was still "not-saved", and hence psychologically and emotionally he was still an outsider. God hadn't approved of him yet for membership, in how he would have no other choice to think about it than that.

Now where the damage from this comes is that part of our own self-acceptance begins through the acceptance of others. Historically to be ostracized by the group is a deep, terrifying dread as it would mean your possible death as people needed the group to survive. Shunning is a horrific, deep primal experience of isolation from the group. In a religious context, God is the symbol of Love and Grace, which when one "believes" in God and accepts that Love as unconditional, it leads to not only group acceptance, they feel part of the "people of God", but psychologically and spiritually as well in that it leads to the acceptance of one's own self, which ultimately leads to "liberty", or "salvation from sin" - or falling short of the mark. I have a saying which I came up with that says, "When we accept ourselves with the acceptance of God, we become able to accept ourselves to God". It is that self-acceptance in accepting Love which is given freely from God in this symbolic context, which allows us to truly love another as ourselves, as Jesus taught. To not truly accept yourself, which means to accept that Love in you, you are simply not capable of loving another truly. It begins within the person.

So the true sin of it, as I see it now, is that this belief that he was not accepted, not only by the group but by the Ultimate itself, by God, he would never be able to realize Peace and love. Yet, what I saw, was a man who had in fact a very profoundly deep love in himself that he was not allowed to simply realize and release. It's where the teaching hurt and harmed him. It personally broke my heart, and made me question their theologies and teachings, which once that began ended up in me seeing all the other issues in how they arrived at their understandings. Love could see what reason could not, at that time.

The psychological damage that this kind of thinking can produce is disturbing in an of itself and is hardly something I could ever recommend.
Oh yes, and it wasn't just in that case but in many areas to many people. He mentioned legalism, and I would say the entire theology itself is inherently legalistic. The letter of the law, a system of "do this and you'll be accepted, do that and you'll be lost", taken to the extreme where the Spirit of the Law is not heard. It's when religion moves from being helpful, a tool, a framework for faith, into something hindering and harmful to seekers of God, in all that represents.

I understand that people have a need for a framework. That much I get, but to slavishly follow a framework is never wise. The map is NEVER the territory, as it were.
To dig a little deep here (something I rarely do around here ;) ), I respect that people do take the maps, the symbols, the metaphors literally. Understanding the difference between metaphors as pointers, versus descriptors of the thing itself, is something that comes with growth. It's like what the Apostle Paul said that, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known." The "face to face" part of course is the mystical Realization, when you suddenly realize that the fingers which were pointing at the moon are not the moon itself.

But when it comes to legalistic interpretations, I would say it's not because of the literal-imagination, mistaking the finger pointing at the moon as the moon itself, but one of a lack of awareness of what the heart tells them. That awareness is something that develops along side, or rather as a line of development in and of itself. Legalist systems are those which are not just literal, but lacking interior awareness and development. You can in fact have mythic-literal frameworks, and be open to Love. Legalism says, "Do NOT trust the heart! Let the words of the book tell the heart what is true." It replaces the knowledge of the heart with purely external frameworks, rather than the heart utilizing the frameworks to grow and gain a deeper knowledge of God in them, which as I said earlier leads to the knowledge of Love in themselves, which leads to them loving others as themselves, which "fulfills all the law of God", as Jesus very directly taught was the Greatest Commandment. Legalism replaces Love with rules, and formulas and codes, and the like. It does not nurture and mature the heart.

It's such a pity that we (collectively) simply don't foster or nurture a sense, a relationship, with something that is buried deep within oneself and that aspect of being is perfectly happy with us as we are.
Honestly, that's not just a problem with legalist forms of religion. I think that is symptomatic of our culture at large. Legalistic forms of religion are not too different than "where's your evidence!" form of Scientisim. It's two-sides of the same coin which is a lack of interior awareness. It's all externalized "authorities" telling what the "truth" is. It says anything subjective is unreliable, untrustworthy, dangerous, and the like.

Those less savory aspects of our characters become obsolete as understanding grows and, put simply, good people become better people.
In an ideal system the literal imagination matures into more nuanced and subtle understandings. But if you cannot hear with your own heart, subtleties will be hard to see! :) One can academically recognize things like this through cognitive means, but that is itself just another "model" of reality, like postmodernism. Knowing with the heart is an entirely different reality. Reading about God, is not knowing God. Reading about the world is not being part of the world. Reading about the ocean is not swimming in the ocean.

I'd quietly suggest that they are simply misinformed and there is no reason to beat themselves up over a fabricated vision of reality. Reality already exists within and without them.
But how that reality unfolds into their awareness is a matter of growth and development - in all lines, mental, spiritual, emotional, psychological, social, etc. There are legitimate, and necessary stages one must go through in order to build upon, further it to higher and deeper levels of awareness of "what is". It gets quite nuanced at this point...... Black and white seems so much simpler, until such a point as the heart sees what the mind does not.

Isn't it more reasonable to abandon something that is not working and to realize the salvation is in realization, not revelation, however "revealing" that realization may be?
The realization of this unfolds in stages. One cannot simply jump from rung 5 on the ladder to rung 20 without hitting rung 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc, first.

I could really go deep here, but my fingers are starting to hurt, thanks to you! :)

Now if you want an answer within the man's framework, ugh, this ain't gonna be pretty.
I respect the man's framework in regard to the question about what is Oneness Pentecostalism, and am adding my perspective of what I was part of actively in support of, from my understanding of it now. For good and not so good. There is some value to it, and what I am pointing out is in regard to the questions you asked about what I saw in that man's despondency as a result of their teaching.

The biggest problem I can see is that the very framework is flawed.... hence you will see situations like you have outlined.
I would say the interpretation of the mythic-literal framework can become flawed in how you see it manifesting as in my friend (a former boss of mine) was. If there are those who can take the literal framework and make it work where love is grown, then I'd say it has merit. There are lots of different systems that function that way for the good of its membership.

To me the true acid test of any system is quite simple. It what Jesus himself taught, a verse which kept coming to mind day after day while sitting in Bible classes hearing their theology being taught in the contexts they spoke it, "By their fruits you shall know them... By their fruits you shall know them". What does my heart tell me, is what I was hearing. Was I seeing and hearing Love?

Natasha Rose

Those known as Apostolic Pentecostal, Oneness, Jesus Name do not believe in a Trinity or Triune God. They believe in One God as the Bible proclaims.

They are sometimes referred to as Jesus only, which they are fine with. They are also sometimes accused of denying the Father, or the Holy Spirit which is incorrect.
Hi I am oneness apostolic as well. I would like to have your views on Matthew 28:36-kjv and how that is interpreted in the concept of oneness

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Hi I am oneness apostolic as well. I would like to have your views on Matthew 28:36-kjv and how that is interpreted in the concept of oneness
Hopefully you will get a reply. However, it should be noted that Mr. Hallett has not posted on the forum in 3 1/2 years.