• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me about computers

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
For awhile I had a job as a computer benchmarker who did overclocking as well. It was a small job but I got some free computer parts out of it. At one point, I had 5 different computers in what I considered my basement home office. I have overclocked a Core 2 Duo, a very cheap chip not the fancier Core 2 Duos that used to exist, from 1.8GHz to 3.4GHz on Air cooling. I believe I hit around 4GHz on a 2.8GHz Phenom II as well.

I once had a friend who apparently, and I think it's true too, worked for the AMD graphics department as an engineer. My highest honor was when he, who had a good education, told me he thought I was pretty smart and knew my stuff.

The questions I might not be able to answer are the garden variety "I need help with Windows" sort. If you ask me what's wrong with your Windows, I will just be honest and say you should switch to Linux.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
One of my most memorable experiences was more recent. I installed SteamOS on a machine expecting it not to work. But the OS worked like a dream, quite frankly. For that machine at least.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Before I get started answering questions, I was looking through one of my albums, and found an old 3DMark I had with my Phenom II on a light overclock - I had a Phenom II quad core and a Phenom II triple-core. Pretty sure this was the more rock-solid, cooler running, lighter clocked triple-core I used for programming:

3dmark06ph.png

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
For awhile I had a job as a computer benchmarker who did overclocking as well. It was a small job but I got some free computer parts out of it. At one point, I had 5 different computers in what I considered my basement home office. I have overclocked a Core 2 Duo, a very cheap chip not the fancier Core 2 Duos that used to exist, from 1.8GHz to 3.4GHz on Air cooling. I believe I hit around 4GHz on a 2.8GHz Phenom II as well.

I once had a friend who apparently, and I think it's true too, worked for the AMD graphics department as an engineer. My highest honor was when he, who had a good education, told me he thought I was pretty smart and knew my stuff.

The questions I might not be able to answer are the garden variety "I need help with Windows" sort. If you ask me what's wrong with your Windows, I will just be honest and say you should switch to Linux.

Does a computer need a CPU/processor to run?

Darkforbid

Sad really, I'm sitting here typing on a phone that's small for my not so fat fingers whilst less than 3 steps away I have an HP pavilion i5 with 8gb ram, 2tb harddrive, is it phone addiction?

And which makes things worse one of the pawn shops down the road has a 2006 dell optiplex 980 i7pro i want, they cost £3000 new it's dead cheap now, but I know I'll still let it sit there and play with android

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sad really, I'm sitting here typing on a phone that's small for my not so fat fingers whilst less than 3 steps away I have an HP pavilion i5 with 8gb ram, 2tb harddrive, is it phone addiction?

And which makes things worse one of the pawn shops down the road has a 2006 dell optiplex 980 i7pro i want, they cost £3000 new it's dead cheap now, but I know I'll still let it sit there and play with android

I do the same mostly. My phone gets more use than each of the three computers I currently own do.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What's your favourite flavour?

And do you hate or love cleaning the kernel?

I'm really thinking my favorite flavor is Debian.

In regards to cleaning the kernal... anything is better than the early days of computers when you logged into Windows and felt your PC was slow, so had to sit there while your PC ran a hard drive defragmentation tool.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes.

Though I might be stumped if you point to some early, ancient PC that may or may not have had one.

Sorry, not really a trick question. Today had a guy with a BSEE come to me asking for help to get a computer started. After trying to get the system to run, took the cover over, took the heatsink off to discover there was no processor installed. Ok, maybe he thought the processor was installed but when I pointed this out to them, they seemed unsure whether a processor was necessary to get a computer to turn on.

Maybe this is esoteric knowledge I don't know what is taught in college these days but I thought understanding of computer systems would be basic knowledge for this degree.

Darkforbid

I'm really thinking my favorite flavor is Debian.

In regards to cleaning the kernal... anything is better than the early days of computers when you logged into Windows and felt your PC was slow, so had to sit there while your PC ran a hard drive defragmentation tool.

My first Windows 95 was like 2 minutes net access then all night reinstalling the OS the good old days playing
Manic Miner

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So what would you do if the government, or a hostile government, blocked internet access? Do you have he paper forms needed to carry on?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my tests, I can't get operating system MBOS (V6 or V8, ported to to run
as a DOS application) in a simulated DOS environment. It appears that
running my op sys in any Windows system requires a DOS kernel.
So I'm stuck running it under Win98. But DOS boxes are getting rare,
& it would be nice to be able to install my system on a modern machine.
Any possibilities you know of?
(Btw, running MBOS in native mode is no longer practical.)

Caution:
While my problem is real, I don't expect an answer.
(No one else in Ameristan uses MBOS anymore.
Some in England might still though...it's from there.)
This was just an excuse to complain & spout some technical gibberish.

Obsydian

Well-Used Member

I know you don't like answering Windows questions, but I'm desperate for help. Every time I turn my computer on I get nothing but a yellow screen. It also makes this noise like the fans are working overtime. I'm afraid it might be overheating. I've included a pic below if that's any help. Thanx.

images

Darkforbid

I know you don't like answering Windows questions, but I'm desperate for help. Every time I turn my computer on I get nothing but a yellow screen. It also makes this noise like the fans are working overtime. I'm afraid it might be overheating. I've included a pic below if that's any help. Thanx.

images

Beats me! Have you tried unplugging it I'm sure this would cure the yellow screen. Can't be sure though don't usually work on Krays. Too expensive