• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me about computers

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
For awhile I had a job as a computer benchmarker who did overclocking as well. It was a small job but I got some free computer parts out of it. At one point, I had 5 different computers in what I considered my basement home office. I have overclocked a Core 2 Duo, a very cheap chip not the fancier Core 2 Duos that used to exist, from 1.8GHz to 3.4GHz on Air cooling. I believe I hit around 4GHz on a 2.8GHz Phenom II as well.

I once had a friend who apparently, and I think it's true too, worked for the AMD graphics department as an engineer. My highest honor was when he, who had a good education, told me he thought I was pretty smart and knew my stuff.

The questions I might not be able to answer are the garden variety "I need help with Windows" sort. If you ask me what's wrong with your Windows, I will just be honest and say you should switch to Linux.

I'm a fiend for pixels. Because I cannot sit still for too long they have to be "portable pixels". I have an 8 year old, 17" MacBook Pro because that's the most non-retina pixels they ever put on a laptop.

Now, I also just want my OS to operate reliably (that rules out windoze). I don't want to spend time messing with kernels and such. I appreciate that I have a Bash shell on my Mac, and I don't mind the extra money for a Mac. But I'd consider going non-Mac and some flavor of Linux to get more pixels on my laptop - if the Linux version was low maintenance.

What PC and flavor of Linux might you recommend?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm a fiend for pixels. Because I cannot sit still for too long they have to be "portable pixels". I have an 8 year old, 17" MacBook Pro because that's the most non-retina pixels they ever put on a laptop.

Now, I also just want my OS to operate reliably (that rules out windoze). I don't want to spend time messing with kernels and such. I appreciate that I have a Bash shell on my Mac, and I don't mind the extra money for a Mac. But I'd consider going non-Mac and some flavor of Linux to get more pixels on my laptop - if the Linux version was low maintenance.

What PC and flavor of Linux might you recommend?

You might not care for my recommendation in this particular case, but I'd get an i5 Mac Mini the newest model and a good monitor - nothing too cheap for monitor, a good $200-$300 compatible one. Have to make sure the ports and Max resolution are compatible on the monitor. But I wouldn't get the $1000 monitors either.

If that doesn't work, you might have to do a more manual approach, purchasing a modern day i7 NUC and installing an OS like Debian, these NUCs are similar speed to the newest Mac Mini but about $200 less.

Obsydian

Well-Used Member
Beats me! Have you tried unplugging it I'm sure this would cure the yellow screen. Can't be sure though don't usually work on Krays. Too expensive
Thanks! That did the job. It took care of the overheating problem, too. You're much more helpful than @AT-AT; he didn't even bother responding.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes.

Though I might be stumped if you point to some early, ancient PC that may or may not have had one.
what about OLD computers.....windows7
with floppy disk drive
corrupted files and partitions
won't boot up

any resurrection?
just curious about a trip down 'memory' lane

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My first Windows 95 was like 2 minutes net access then all night reinstalling the OS the good old days playing
Manic Miner
and you recall the bootup screen ?
white letters on black

as my old set corrupted the letters turned into playing cards and smiley faces

and then the windows screen came up and looked like a crumpled piece of paper

Darkforbid

Thanks! That did the job. It took care of the overheating problem, too. You're much more helpful than @AT-AT; he didn't even bother responding.

Thanks if you could send the payment directly to your choice of the charities I'm supporting at the moment it would most helpful

1. The legalisation of slavery campaign
  2. The Richard Dawkins Assassination fund

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
what about OLD computers.....windows7
with floppy disk drive
corrupted files and partitions
won't boot up

any resurrection?
just curious about a trip down 'memory' lane

I'm not huge on reviving old computers vs. buying new. Lots of hassle. Maybe if the old computer had say, an overclocked i7-2600K. Then I'd revive it.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
In my tests, I can't get operating system MBOS (V6 or V8, ported to to run
as a DOS application) in a simulated DOS environment. It appears that
running my op sys in any Windows system requires a DOS kernel.
So I'm stuck running it under Win98. But DOS boxes are getting rare,
& it would be nice to be able to install my system on a modern machine.
Any possibilities you know of?
(Btw, running MBOS in native mode is no longer practical.)

Caution:
While my problem is real, I don't expect an answer.
(No one else in Ameristan uses MBOS anymore.
Some in England might still though...it's from there.)
This was just an excuse to complain & spout some technical gibberish.
Introduction - Arm Mbed Linux OS | Mbed Linux OS Documentation
mbos | Mbed

No idea, but I'm curious if that is the mbos you're talking about. If so send them a question about whether there is some way to salvage your system. Tell us what happens.

David1967

Premium Member
Before I get started answering questions, I was looking through one of my albums, and found an old 3DMark I had with my Phenom II on a light overclock - I had a Phenom II quad core and a Phenom II triple-core. Pretty sure this was the more rock-solid, cooler running, lighter clocked triple-core I used for programming:

View attachment 30378

I can tell by this post that I don't even know enough about computers to know what to ask you about them.:confused:

icehorse

Premium Member
You might not care for my recommendation in this particular case, but I'd get an i5 Mac Mini the newest model and a good monitor - nothing too cheap for monitor, a good $200-$300 compatible one. Have to make sure the ports and Max resolution are compatible on the monitor. But I wouldn't get the $1000 monitors either.

If that doesn't work, you might have to do a more manual approach, purchasing a modern day i7 NUC and installing an OS like Debian, these NUCs are similar speed to the newest Mac Mini but about $200 less.

I like this if I could be non-portable, but I need a laptop!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
OK, when will computers take over the world and demand we bow down to our computer overlords?

And when will computer make terminators?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I like this if I could be non-portable, but I need a laptop!

Sorry!

There really aren't good Linux laptops as Linux doesn't always play too nicely with laptops. When I have installed Linux on laptops, I have been faced with driver issues and quite a few other problems.

If you go Mac laptop, well you probably have a good idea what to get already. If not, I can probably help.

If you go Windows, the Surface Pros I hear are quite good.

icehorse

Premium Member
There really aren't good Linux laptops as Linux doesn't always play too nicely with laptops. When I have installed Linux on laptops, I have been faced with driver issues and quite a few other problems.

Thanks for your thoughts. You kind of confirmed what I'd already heard, but that's quite useful!!

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not a computer question, but one about modems.

Last October I bought an Arris SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 cabel modem---686 download speed---(I'm downloading at around 103 mbps), which worked fine until two months ago when it would periodically really slow down to a crawl. The only fix is to unplug it for half a minute and then re-plug it, which cures the problem beautifully for several hours to a day or two. A neighbor suggested it may be the result of being damaged by an electrical storm we had that left us without electricity for a few hours.

I had my ISP come out and check everything, which turned up nothing. I also had my cable service, Wave Cable, come out and check the connections. He found nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Skwim.