• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Two)

Dream Angel

Not sure if this has already been asked.. sorry if it has! :)

What are the views on women (both equality and gender roles? which I see has two seperate things)?

Many Thanks :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Not sure if this has already been asked.. sorry if it has! :)

What are the views on women (both equality and gender roles? which I see has two seperate things)?

Many Thanks :)

Views or Doctrine?

If you want views, I'd suggest "Women Vs. Religion" thread post #20, which has several quotes from the current LDS Prophet and President, Gordon B. Hinckley.

As for doctrine; I'll bow out, as I will probably be told I am wrong again.

My personal view is that we are equal - yet we have different responsiblities. I'm a LDS woman, but I don't mind not having the preisthood, it doesn't bother me in the least, in fact, I wouldn't want it --- to me, that is a lot of responsibility and I would be afraid I would abuse it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
From reading SOME not all the threads, I think both christians and LDS believe that all three are Gods or divine. So as the muslims state, they can both be considered polytheistic (I cant spell). I persoanally dont think either of the faiths are! :)
LOL! I know what you're saying. I find it odd to hear a fellow-Christian tell me that I am polytheistic. Whenever this happens, I remind him that Muslims would consider all Christians to be polytheistic. It's all in how you define the term. We certainly believe ourselves to be a monotheistic religion, but if we're polytheistic, we've got a lot of company throughout the rest of the Christian community.

Question from me... whats the belief on multiple marriages (cant remember the term) nowadays?
You're referring to polygamy. We generally use the term "plural marriage." Here is some information that may be along the lines of what you're looking for.

The Church banned plural marriage roughly 110 years ago. Any Latter-day Saint now found to be involved in a polygamous relationship is excommunicated. It’s as simple as that. While some of these individuals may still refer to themselves as Mormons (fundamentalist or otherwise) they are not members of our Church. We know it and they know it, whether anybody else knows it or not!

Incidentally, you may find it interesting to note that even during the period of time when polygamy was practiced, only a very small percentage (perhaps 5% at most) of Mormon men had more than one wife. Very, very few had more than two or three. At its peak, plural marriage affected a maximum of about 25% of all Latter-day Saints. This figure, of course, includes not only the men involved, but their wives and children as well. It is also important to understand that a man didn’t simply decide to take it upon himself to marry three or four women. Any time a man took a second or third wife, the marriage had to be approved by the Church leadership. And, at the time the practice was first instituted, there were actually no federal laws prohibiting it, as there are, of course, now.

Why was it practiced? We believe it was practiced in response to a commandment from God. There were times in the past when He sanctioned it (Abraham, of course, was legally married to more than one woman at once). In the Book of Mormon, God strictly prohibits the practice except in cases when He would specifically approve it as a means by which He would see the membership of His church increase more rapidly than it normally would. Polygamy was practiced by some for a period of about forty years. And when God rescinded His commandment, the practice was discontinued.

Dream Angel

Views or Doctrine?

If you want views, I'd suggest "Women Vs. Religion" thread post #20, which has several quotes from the current LDS Prophet and President, Gordon B. Hinckley.

As for doctrine; I'll bow out, as I will probably be told I am wrong again.

My personal view is that we are equal - yet we have different responsiblities. I'm a LDS woman, but I don't mind not having the preisthood, it doesn't bother me in the least, in fact, I wouldn't want it --- to me, that is a lot of responsibility and I would be afraid I would abuse it.

Views and Doctrine (if they differ) :) Private message me your answer if you like! then you wont be able to be told your wrong. I would like to hear what you have to say...? :) Thanks for the info

Dream Angel

LOL! I know what you're saying. I find it odd to hear a fellow-Christian tell me that I am polytheistic. Whenever this happens, I remind him that Muslims would consider all Christians to be polytheistic. It's all in how you define the term. We certainly believe ourselves to be a monotheistic religion, but if we're polytheistic, we've got a lot of company throughout the rest of the Christian community.

You're referring to polygamy. We generally use the term "plural marriage." Here is some information that may be along the lines of what you're looking for.

The Church banned plural marriage roughly 110 years ago. Any Latter-day Saint now found to be involved in a polygamous relationship is excommunicated. It’s as simple as that. While some of these individuals may still refer to themselves as Mormons (fundamentalist or otherwise) they are not members of our Church. We know it and they know it, whether anybody else knows it or not!

Incidentally, you may find it interesting to note that even during the period of time when polygamy was practiced, only a very small percentage (perhaps 5% at most) of Mormon men had more than one wife. Very, very few had more than two or three. At its peak, plural marriage affected a maximum of about 25% of all Latter-day Saints. This figure, of course, includes not only the men involved, but their wives and children as well. It is also important to understand that a man didn’t simply decide to take it upon himself to marry three or four women. Any time a man took a second or third wife, the marriage had to be approved by the Church leadership. And, at the time the practice was first instituted, there were actually no federal laws prohibiting it, as there are, of course, now.

Why was it practiced? We believe it was practiced in response to a commandment from God. There were times in the past when He sanctioned it (Abraham, of course, was legally married to more than one woman at once). In the Book of Mormon, God strictly prohibits the practice except in cases when He would specifically approve it as a means by which He would see the membership of His church increase more rapidly than it normally would. Polygamy was practiced by some for a period of about forty years. And when God rescinded His commandment, the practice was discontinued.

Thanks for the info!! :)

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
So what's up with this belief that you LDS will get your own planet to rule over when you die thing? Is this just a dirty rumor or is there something to it?

SoyLeche

meh...
So what's up with this belief that you LDS will get your own planet to rule over when you die thing? Is this just a dirty rumor or is there something to it?
More like an oversimplified version of a very complicated doctrine that nobody really understands fully anyway.

Aqualung

Tasty

It's just a dirty rumour. It comes from the doctrine that (as the Bible says) we will be joint heirs with Christ if we are faithful. Almost nobody challenges that Christ is God in some sense, and we believe that that godliness is something we will inherent. After all, we are children of God, and children grow up to be of the same form as their parents, so we would grow up to be of the same form as our heavenly parents. Others have extended this to mean that we think we will have our own planets and stuff. So, it's a dirty rumour, but there's something to it, no matter how tangential.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
It's just a dirty rumour. It comes from the doctrine that (as the Bible says) we will be joint heirs with Christ if we are faithful. Almost nobody challenges that Christ is God in some sense, and we believe that that godliness is something we will inherent. After all, we are children of God, and children grow up to be of the same form as their parents, so we would grow up to be of the same form as our heavenly parents. Others have extended this to mean that we think we will have our own planets and stuff. So, it's a dirty rumour, but there's something to it, no matter how tangential.

More like an oversimplified version of a very complicated doctrine that nobody really understands fully anyway.

I figured as much, we Catholics get this sort of thing all the time about certain things we do that are somewhat complicated and so people oversimplify and it makes us look ridicules. It seems that LDS gets allot of that too because your beliefs are rather complex in some areas. Thanks again for the enlightenment.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
From my short time here on RF talking with you LDS I think that although we Catholics are probably closer to protestants in what we believe, our doctrine and dogma, we seem to be much closer to the LDS in the way we believe and in the way we approach revelation and God's truth. It seems you all are more church centered than scripture centered. Is this an accurate depiction you think? Are you more Church centered? Do you place more emphasis on the book of Mormons and the Bible or on the living church itself and the elders and such in union with a sort of teaching authority that derives God's word from the interpretation of such books? That make sense?

Moey

I have a question. I have these pesky LDS people that come by my house all the time and they call my home trying to get my Girlfriend to come back to the church and they also want to save me or something. How can i get the to go away, short of killing them?

DeepShadow

White Crow
Three questions to answer your question:

1) How often is "all the time"?
2) Are these missionaries, home teachers, or both?
3) What have you already tried?

It's unusual (and against policy) for LDS to go back frequently if they've been told they aren't welcome. You can request a "do not contact" notice be put in the church records, which means she should only be contacted by mistake during a general census--about every five to ten years. If your girlfriend really doesn't want the contact, she can apply to have her name removed from church records.

Unfortunately, these only work on Home Teachers. Neither of these will help if you are in a frequently-tracted area for missionaries. But they probably don't know a member lives there, and are just knocking on doors.

Dream Angel

Hi all!
just some quick questions for all please :)

1) Do you celebrate christmas and birthdays - I know even some religions that believe Jesus was the son of God dont - ie JWs?
2) I heard/read somewhere (I think) you dont use the cross in worship? why is this, does that mean your not allowed to wear crosses?
3) Some people say that LDS are too planned - you have to do a certain thing on each night - I even read somewhere your encouraged to have sex on a certain day - is this true? and if so why is this? and if not - apologise!

Many thanks!
:)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Hi all!
just some quick questions for all please :)

1) Do you celebrate christmas and birthdays - I know even some religions that believe Jesus was the son of God dont - ie JWs?
yes and yes. (we believe Jesus is the son of God too).

2) I heard/read somewhere (I think) you dont use the cross in worship? why is this, does that mean your not allowed to wear crosses?
We do not use the cross in worship because we choose to focus on the resurrection (which is a really great part of the whole ordeal) rather than the method of death. I am sure somebody has a great article for you to read about it.

The LDS church doesn't control it's members, people could wear crosses if they want to but I don't see many people that do.

3) Some people say that LDS are too planned - you have to do a certain thing on each night
we are not forced into doing anything, I am a little troubled that you keep using words like "have to" and "not allowed". Our church is VERY big on agency. We are not forced to do anything.

That being said, no. There is no plan for what to do each night. We are encouraged to have "Family Home Evening" on monday nights, this would include the family hanging out together and usually having some sort of religious/educational purpose. nobody checks to see if we do or do not have FHE, we are encouraged to do it because it strengthens families. It is a benefit and blessing to us to do it.

- I even read somewhere your encouraged to have sex on a certain day - is this true? and if so why is this? and if not - apologise!

LOL. um... no. that would be really wierd. Again, our church is a serious advocate of free agency.

I'm dying to know what day it was supposed to be though...

Dream Angel

yes and yes. (we believe Jesus is the son of God too).

We do not use the cross in worship because we choose to focus on the resurrection (which is a really great part of the whole ordeal) rather than the method of death. I am sure somebody has a great article for you to read about it.

The LDS church doesn't control it's members, people could wear crosses if they want to but I don't see many people that do.

we are not forced into doing anything, I am a little troubled that you keep using words like "have to" and "not allowed". Our church is VERY big on agency. We are not forced to do anything.

That being said, no. There is no plan for what to do each night. We are encouraged to have "Family Home Evening" on monday nights, this would include the family hanging out together and usually having some sort of religious/educational purpose. nobody checks to see if we do or do not have FHE, we are encouraged to do it because it strengthens families. It is a benefit and blessing to us to do it.

LOL. um... no. that would be really wierd. Again, our church is a serious advocate of free agency.

I'm dying to know what day it was supposed to be though...

Hi thanks for the info!!! sorry for using the words "have to" "not allowed", no insult or anything intended.. :) also some religions give me the idea that the religion is a book of rules, cant do this cant do that thing - I am pleased to hear yours is not :)

I think it was a Saturday if I remember rightly - Ill try and find the link for you! :)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Hi thanks for the info!!! sorry for using the words "have to" "not allowed", no insult or anything intended.. :) also some religions give me the idea that the religion is a book of rules, cant do this cant do that thing - I am pleased to hear yours is not :)

I think it was a Saturday if I remember rightly - Ill try and find the link for you! :)

no need to apologize, I was just worried that you had the wrong impression of our church. I wanted to stress that compulsion is not a part of our religion.

of course.... Saturday.... the special..... sex.. day.... :eek: (don't waste any time looking for the link, I was just curious to hear what the explanation would be, that's all).

Bishka

Veteran Member
3) Some people say that LDS are too planned - you have to do a certain thing on each night - I even read somewhere your encouraged to have sex on a certain day - is this true? and if so why is this? and if not - apologise!

If so, then.....:p Just kidding. That is a really strange idea (no offense); wonder where it came from.:confused:

Dream Angel

If so, then.....:p Just kidding. That is a really strange idea (no offense); wonder where it came from.:confused:

Yeah I know! I thought it odd when I saw it, but thought I better ask! I cant find the link! i def read it somewhere, because I can remember being rather shocked when I saw it!

nutshell

Ridiculous. We're taught to wait until we're married. After that, I could have sex all day and night with my wife everyday and the Church wouldn't care a bit.