• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Three)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
"Mormon" came from the angel Mormon, not the angel Moroni. Mormon is a subset of Christian, so by calling onesself Mormon one is automatically calling onesself Christian. Just like by identifying something as an apple one automatically identifies it as a fruit.
Or how a Lutheran doesn't worship Martin Luther and Calvinists don't pray to John Calvin.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
What happened to all the Christians from the first century and before the Angel Moroni revelation? In another words, is the LDS revelation necessary to believe and receive to be with God in eternity? I believe there is a period of about 1,800 years before the Angel Moroni's appearance to Joseph Smith? Are those Christians doomed to destruction since they did not embrace the restoration theology taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? How apostate are they since they loved God through Jesus Christ alone?

Aqualung

Tasty
What happened to all the Christians from the first century and before the Angel Moroni revelation? In another words, is the LDS revelation necessary to believe and receive to be with God in eternity? I believe there is a period of about 1,800 years before the Angel Moroni's appearance to Joseph Smith? Are those Christians doomed to destruction since they did not embrace the restoration theology taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? How apostate are they since they loved God through Jesus Christ alone?

Nope. they will get exactly the same opportunity everybody (including people born in China or outside of Israel some time before Christ came) has to hear the gospel and to either accept it or reject it.

A lot of them were just trying their best. But even if you try your best, there's no way you can complete a 1000 piece puzzle with 300 pieces missing. Your picture is still going to be full of holes. Now that all the pieces have been restored, those trying their best to put the puzzle together earlier will have a much easier time.

Scott C.

Just one guy

They go to spirit prison when they die. They wait to have the fullness of the gospel preached to them in spirit prison. They also wait for their baptism to be performed vicariously by a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a temple. If the person in the spirit world accepts the fullness of the gospel and accepts the baptism performed in their bahelf, they leave spirit prison and enter paradise, where they await the resurrection.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Common sense tells me this would be wrong. The women are not married to each other. Yikes!

but they are, When poligamist marriages were solemized all were present and all gave thier consent.

While granted the homosexual aspect of it were immoral, the thought of having multipel wives in the bedroom together seems like it would be more efficient and definitely good for one's libido.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Hunter
They go to spirit prison when they die. They wait to have the fullness of the gospel preached to them in spirit prison. They also wait for their baptism to be performed vicariously by a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a temple. If the person in the spirit world accepts the fullness of the gospel and accepts the baptism performed in their bahelf, they leave spirit prison and enter paradise, where they await the resurrection.

The Bible reveals that God justifies the wicked by faith. Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. So, how can someone believe in the LDS Gospel in spirit prison by faith when they can see the spirit prison or spirit world. Who would not believe if the spirit prison was real and could be seen by those in spirit prison? It requires no faith once you are in spirit prison to believe. Is spirit prison similar to the Roman Catholic doctrine of purgatory?

Hebrews 11

By Faith

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead. By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Romans 4:5:
However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

Luke 16 -The Rich Man and Lazarus

"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

Scott C.

Just one guy
Quote:

The Bible reveals that God justifies the wicked by faith. Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. So, how can someone believe in the LDS Gospel in spirit prison by faith when they can see the spirit prison or spirit world. Who would not believe if the spirit prison was real and could be seen by those in spirit prison? It requires no faith once you are in spirit prison to believe. Is spirit prison similar to the Roman Catholic doctrine of purgatory?

Not the same as purgatory, but maybe some comparison could be made. Not being Catholic, I don't have a good handle on purgatory.

Apparently, even being in the spirit world is not necessarily enough to guarantee that one's heart will be changed by the preaching of the word. In the case of those who were already converted to Christ in life, but lacked the correct baptism, I would assume accepting the vicarious baptism would come easy.

Scott C.

Just one guy
but they are, When poligamist marriages were solemized all were present and all gave thier consent.

While granted the homosexual aspect of it were immoral, the thought of having multipel wives in the bedroom together seems like it would be more efficient and definitely good for one's libido.

Well, to be honest, I never thought of this question before I read it here. My gut tells me this would be wrong. The fact that all parties consented to the plural marriage does not mean that the wives are married to each other. Each wife is married to the same man in a separate union and priesthood ordinance. I believe this implies completely private and personal intimacy. It's not a group marriage with group sex. Even if the wives don't touch each other, to have sex with the same man at the same time is group sex and I can't believe it would have been condoned. If I'm wrong, I'll be quite surprised and would have to read some compelling history to believe it.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I'm sure there will be very few historical accounts of activities as such. But i'm sure that they probably happened. and if at the very least husbands probably had multiple wives in one day.

DeepShadow

White Crow
In FFH’s thread LDS Beliefs And The Bible FFH has posted a few LDS paintings. Being an artist, I naturally was interested in viewing more of this artwork. The paintings that I came across had Joseph Smith diligently translating the golden plates but without the means of the hat or the Urim and Thummim. Are the artists who portray this inspiring moment adverse to showing the accurate means in which Joseph Smith Jr. arrive at the book of Mormon?

The accounts with the hat come from other sources who were not present at the translation. Joseph never spoke about the translation method, though the D&C strongly suggests it wasn't a matter of seeing the exact words.

A

angellous_evangellous

***MOD ADVISORY***

Please remember not to debate here.

Thanks,
A_E

Theocan

Not to be offensive, but I read "somewhere" that the Mormon Church does not encourage interracial marriages. Is this true? Was this once true like polygamy? Or is just what some Mormon sects believe like FLDS?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
A Christian started a thread about hope. What is the LDS Christian's view of hope? Is it correct to believe that the hope of an LDS Christian is to become a god who will rule and reign his own planet? If I am way off base, please share your LDS hope for me to understand. I never want to intentionally misrepresent your view as an LDS Christian. However, there is so much that I don't understand about Mormonism.

Aqualung

Tasty
A Christian started a thread about hope. What is the LDS Christian's view of hope? Is it correct to believe that the hope of an LDS Christian is to become a god who will rule and reign his own planet? If I am way off base, please share your LDS hope for me to understand. I never want to intentionally misrepresent your view as an LDS Christian. However, there is so much that I don't understand about Mormonism.

It is my hope than when I die I will become "an heir of God, and joint-heir with Christ", as Paul teaches. And Christ is heir to quite a lot of things. Being a joint-heir with Christ would be amazing.

DeepShadow

White Crow
My hope is in God, to give me whatever He wants to give me. At the worst, I'll get only what I deserve, but if He wants to give me more, who am I to say otherwise?

P.S. Did anyone notice how I actually answered the question, instead of staying on the sidelines? As I said, this is how I behave in OTHER threads.

Aqualung

Tasty
I thought the LDS hope is to become a God who has his own planet. Is this true or false?

False. The LDS belief is to become heirs of God and joint heirs of Christ. The LDS belief is that being a joint-heir with christ means being an heir to his godliness. Thus, it is our hope to become godlike. But there is no LDS hope to become a ruler of our own planets.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Apparently you didn't bother to read the post in which I already corrected you on this. What reason would I have to think you were going to read this one. (Just in case you've forgotten, it was the post in which I changed the color of your accurate statements to blue and the color of your inaccurate ones to read.)