• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Three)

nutshell

i'm not worried about my "Credibility" here, I't was not plagarization, just laziness as i have stated. I went and changed it to make nit-picky peopel happy.:cover:

Laziness does not absolve one from plagarization.

Plagarization is more often the result of laziness than actual intent.

nutshell

OK - I'll ask a question:

Your leader has just been convicted of rape by accomplice. What will happen to the church now?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I'm sure they will come up with something. Maybe a new revelation... yikes.

Well We certainly wouldn't pay hush money to the family of the victime and relocate the leader....
He would more than likely be excommunicated and stripped of his callings. the church would continue and new leaders would be appointed.

SoyLeche

meh...
Well We certainly wouldn't pay hush money to the family of the victime and relocate the leader....
He would more than likely be excommunicated and stripped of his callings. the church would continue and new leaders would be appointed.
You realize that a couple of former LDS church presidents have gone into hiding before, right?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I found this thread on page 9 so I hope it is still active and applicable. A few questions actually.

In FFH’s thread LDS Beliefs And The Bible FFH has posted a few LDS paintings. Being an artist, I naturally was interested in viewing more of this artwork. The paintings that I came across had Joseph Smith diligently translating the golden plates but without the means of the hat or the Urim and Thummim. Are the artists who portray this inspiring moment adverse to showing the accurate means in which Joseph Smith Jr. arrive at the book of Mormon?

While we are the subject of the artistic impressions of religion, do Mormon arists sign their work? I once took a tour of the Jehovah’s Witnesses Watchtower Farm. Throughout these halls, there are numorous original paintings that are used specifically in their publications but the identification of the artist is unwarranted and unknown. Do Mormons also feel the same way about the artists who illustrate their religion’s history?

The next question is something that had been wondering about since I learned that early Mormons practiced polygamy. This is not a perverse question but a serious inquiry. Were wives of early Mormon husbands allow to participate and interact during sex together or was the act of intercourse dealt with on a one-to-one basis? Was this up to the husband (or the wives) or were there strict rules about how polygamy was conducted?

silvermoon383

For the first question:
It's a funny thing really. From everything I've read Joseph used a number of means to translate the Book of Mormon, so it's quite possible that all the paintings are accurate. Then again, maybe the artists simply wanted to show him translating w/o any real concern for the accuracy. Unfortunately for us, we really can't know just how accurate they were since we have very little info to go off of.

For the second question:
Some sign their pictures, others don't. I've seen both, and many times, when you see reproductions of LDS pictures, what you're seeing is only a part of the original. So it's quite possible that it has been signed, but the signed portion doesn't appear in the reproduction.

As for the third:
I haven't a clue. I know of no such rules, but then I wasn't around then so I have no idea. It may have been possible for the man to be with all of his wives at once, but I haven't any clue whether it was considered proper or not. My GUESS, is that it was a one-on-one thing between that specific woman and her husband, as in many cases the wives all had different houses.

Scott C.

Just one guy
The next question is something that had been wondering about since I learned that early Mormons practiced polygamy. This is not a perverse question but a serious inquiry. Were wives of early Mormon husbands allow to participate and interact during sex together or was the act of intercourse dealt with on a one-to-one basis? Was this up to the husband (or the wives) or were there strict rules about how polygamy was conducted?

One at a time. A group act would have been considered immoral.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
This is the third in a part of "Ask a Mormon Series" Part Two (Found here) is getting to be over 70 pages, so I thought I would start a new one.

Enjoy! :)

I have two simple questions. Why do you identify yourself as a Mormon as compared to a Christian? Do you follow the angel Moroni (Mormon) as compared to Jesus Christ (Christian)?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have two simple questions. Why do you identify yourself as a Mormon as compared to a Christian?
Bishka's no longer posting here, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind my answering for her. We identify ourselves as Mormons or Latter-day Saints merely to be more specific in defining our beliefs. You could ask the same question of a Lutheran, a Baptist, a Methodist, an Episcopalian, a Catholic, etc. etc. etc. We all identify as Christians, but we each identify also as Lutheran Christians, Baptist Christians, LDS Christians.

Do you follow the angel Moroni (Mormon) as compared to Jesus Christ (Christian)?
We follow Jesus Christ. Have you seriously not figured that out yet?

Aqualung

Tasty
I have two simple questions. Why do you identify yourself as a Mormon as compared to a Christian? Do you follow the angel Moroni (Mormon) as compared to Jesus Christ (Christian)?

"Mormon" came from the angel Mormon, not the angel Moroni. Mormon is a subset of Christian, so by calling onesself Mormon one is automatically calling onesself Christian. Just like by identifying something as an apple one automatically identifies it as a fruit.