• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Jew

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Im hoping if there are any Jews here that I could find out a few things.

Why was the sacrifice of animals as sin offerings abolished? Also, people say that the Temple will be rebuilt in Israel and there will be animal sacrifices within it.

Is this true?

Also, if you belong to a sect in Judaism that believes in the immortality of the soul, do you believe in Heaven, and if so, can gentiles get there?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Im hoping if there are any Jews here that I could find out a few things.

Why was the sacrifice of animals as sin offerings abolished? Also, people say that the Temple will be rebuilt in Israel and there will be animal sacrifices within it.

Is this true?

Also, if you belong to a sect in Judaism that believes in the immortality of the soul, do you believe in Heaven, and if so, can gentiles get there?

We are only allowed to offer sacrifices in the Temple, which no longer exists. When the Temple is rebuilt, we will be able to reinstate the practice; whether or not it will happen is a matter of debate.

As for The World to Come (whatever form it will take), most believe it is open to everyone.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
We are only allowed to offer sacrifices in the Temple, which no longer exists. When the Temple is rebuilt, we will be able to reinstate the practice; whether or not it will happen is a matter of debate.

As for The World to Come (whatever form it will take), most believe it is open to everyone.
Why has there not been a Temple built in the last 2,000 years. I mean, when you look at the size of the cathedrals, basilicas, and mosques that have been built, I'd think it wouldn't be unrealistic to build a temple.

Perhaps it was illegal?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Our Temple can only be built in one place: the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.

After the destruction of the last Temple by the Romans in the 1st century, the Jews were exiled. Today, the Dome of the Rock sits on the Temple Mount.

Our Temple won't be rebuild until the messiah comes.

Akivah

Why was the sacrifice of animals as sin offerings abolished? Also, people say that the Temple will be rebuilt in Israel and there will be animal sacrifices within it. Is this true?

Yes, but explanations are required.

By law, the sacrifice of animals is only allowed at the Jerusalem Temple. By law, if there is no Temple, then no sacrifices are allowed. By law, when the Temple stood, there were other types of sacrifices other than animals. For example, money, perfume, and flour are acceptable sacrifices. By law, sacrifices are ineffective to atone for most sins. Sacrifices were only effective for unintentional sins. Teshuvah is required to atone for all other sins.

Regarding the future Temple, it is uncertain if the messiah will be the cause or the effect of the rebuilt Temple. All we know for sure, is that the Third Temple will exist in the Messianic Age.

do you believe in Heaven, and if so, can gentiles get there?

Yes and Yes.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes, but explanations are required.

By law, the sacrifice of animals is only allowed at the Jerusalem Temple. By law, if there is no Temple, then no sacrifices are allowed. By law, when the Temple stood, there were other types of sacrifices other than animals. For example, money, perfume, and flour are acceptable sacrifices. By law, sacrifices are ineffective to atone for most sins. Sacrifices were only effective for unintentional sins. Teshuvah is required to atone for all other sins.

Regarding the future Temple, it is uncertain if the messiah will be the cause or the effect of the rebuilt Temple. All we know for sure, is that the Third Temple will exist in the Messianic Age.

Yes and Yes.
Groovy Pa! :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I don't know if there's a soul or heaven or whether gentiles can get to heaven if there is one. I have a copyright on "I don't know", and I'll sue anyone who uses it. :mad:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Do non-practitioners commonly tell all practitioners of a religion the "true" meaning of their religion or does only Judaism get all these self-proclaimed experts?
I guess we now know what as a people we were chosen for. Oh the joys of being special!!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Do non-practitioners commonly tell all practitioners of a religion the "true" meaning of their religion or does only Judaism get all these self-proclaimed experts?
Judaism in it's purist form disappeared with the destruction of the temple

rosends

Judaism in it's purist form disappeared with the destruction of the temple
That is both ignorant and offensive. It presumes that someone (and even more problematically, someone outside of Judaism) is entitled to judge what is "pure" Judaism and decide on what basis it existed or ceased to exist, thus disempowering Jews of the claim to knowledge of their own religion or the right to claim being practitioners of their own religion.

CMike

Why has there not been a Temple built in the last 2,000 years. I mean, when you look at the size of the cathedrals, basilicas, and mosques that have been built, I'd think it wouldn't be unrealistic to build a temple.

Perhaps it was illegal?
Tarheeler answered most of questions.

There have been thousands of Jewish temples built.

However, the Temple in Jerusalem will be rebuilt when the messiah comes. That's the one needed for sacrifices.

As was stated sacrifices were given for a multitude of reasons. As far as for sins, the sacrifices were only for unintentional sins, with one exceptions.

To get forgiveness one must attone for his sins.