• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As We Approach The High Holy Days

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Sometimes wisdom comes from an unexpected source - like a coffee cup. I saw this on a cup: "The purpose of life is not to find yourself, it is to create yourself.

We are coming to the end of the Hebrew month of Elul. The month before the month of Tishri which ushers in Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkot. Elul is a month of prayer, reflection, penitence and introspection. I am especially mindful of falling short of the mark, that I am an imperfect person living in a beautiful,but also imperfect world.

As a Jew I am mindful that I am responsible for working on "tikkun ha-nefesh",the repair of the soul and for working as a partner with G-d in "tikkun olam", the repair of the world. These are not mutually exclusive goals for work on one ripples through the other. I am mindful that I am a link in a chain that enables "ahm yisrael" the people Israel to strive to be a "goy kadosh" a holy nation.

As a rabbi I am mindful that I am engaged in what might be called an "avodat kodesh" a sacred endeavor. It is my duty to teach and to guide, to help others to find their paths to spiritual wholeness through the tools provided by the traditions that form the bedrock of Jewish living.

As a Jew I am required to be in this world and of this world because the repair of this world cannot be accomplished by outsiders. I am not required to do this alone. I am not expected to complete the task. Though the task may not be accomplished during my time, I am not free to walk away from that obligation. The hour is late, the workers are tired, the task is hard, and the Master is insistent.

As a Jew I am required to speak out on behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves. I am required to speak words of love, hope and joy, words of justice and healing, words of solace and comforting. I am required to stand against oppression and bigotry and evil in whatever shape it manifests itself.

As a rabbi I have a responsibility to help others meet the challenges of life and the world we live in from a Jewish perspective. That is not the same thing, however, as telling people what they should think or how they should vote.

Jewish tradition teaches that Yom Kippur brings forgiveness for the wrongs we have committed against G-d, but there is no forgiveness for the sins we have committed against others unless and until we strive to make amends and seek the forgiveness of others.

In that spirit, to the extent I have dealt wrongly with others on the forum, to the extent I have been lax in my obligations to others on the forum, less supportive or less responsive than I should have been, I ask your forgiveness.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
Sometimes wisdom comes from an unexpected source - like a coffee cup. I saw this on a cup: "The purpose of life is not to find yourself, it is to create yourself.

We are coming to the end of the Hebrew month of Elul. The month before the month of Tishri which ushers in Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkot. Elul is a month of prayer, reflection, penitence and introspection. I am especially mindful of falling short of the mark, that I am an imperfect person living in a beautiful,but also imperfect world.

As a Jew I am mindful that I am responsible for working on "tikkun ha-nefesh",the repair of the soul and for working as a partner with G-d in "tikkun olam", the repair of the world. These are not mutually exclusive goals for work on one ripples through the other. I am mindful that I am a link in a chain that enables "ahm yisrael" the people Israel to strive to be a "goy kadosh" a holy nation.

As a rabbi I am mindful that I am engaged in what might be called an "avodat kodesh" a sacred endeavor. It is my duty to teach and to guide, to help others to find their paths to spiritual wholeness through the tools provided by the traditions that form the bedrock of Jewish living.

As a Jew I am required to be in this world and of this world because the repair of this world cannot be accomplished by outsiders. I am not required to do this alone. I am not expected to complete the task. Though the task may not be accomplished during my time, I am not free to walk away from that obligation. The hour is late, the workers are tired, the task is hard, and the Master is insistent.

As a Jew I am required to speak out on behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves. I am required to speaks words of love, hope and joy, words of justice and healing, words of solace and comforting. I am required to stand
against oppression and bigotry and evil in whatever shape it manifests itself.

As a rabbi I have a responsibility to help others meet the challenges of life and the world we live in from a Jewish perspective. That is not the same thing, however, as telling people what they should think or how they should vote.

Jewish tradition teaches that Yom Kippur brings forgiveness for the wrongs we have committed against G-d, but there is no forgiveness for the sins we have committed against others unless and until we strive to make amends and seek the forgiveness of others.

In that spirit, to the extent I have dealt wrongly with others on the forum, to the extent I have been lax in my obligations to others on the forum, less supportive or less responsive than I should have been, I ask your forgiveness.

Beautifully written. Yishar koach. No forgiveness is needed, because no wrong has been done.

Shanah tovah, gmar chatimah tovah!

Akivah

I had a major disturbance with a co-worker a few months ago. I've been stewing about it and we've been barely tolerating each other. Well I finally came to terms with the issue with myself and gave her a written apology last week. I'm at peace and our working relationship has never been better.

Flankerl

I dont know whether i'll manage to get on the forum for the rest of the day(its alread 06:54am here) so i want to wish everyone who fasts an easy fast and of course for everyone who reads this g'mar chatima Tova.

See ya on the 11th. :)
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Eḥad

Levite

Higher and Higher
Gmar Chatimah Tovah to all, and an easy fast. May we all find forgiveness, redemption, and clarity over this Shabbat Shabbat Shabbaton....

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Gmar Chatimah Tovah to all, and an easy fast. May we all find forgiveness, redemption, and clarity over this Shabbat Shabbat Shabbaton....

And the same to you, yours, and to all here.