• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian I'm against religion.

John1.12

Free gift
Romans 8:9

“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his .”

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
And your point is? There's other books that the bible refers to . But they are not ' scripture ' They are not ' inspired ' . They are not ' Gods word ' . They are not ' bible ' .

how do you know the Bible is inspired?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
And your point is? There's other books that the bible refers to . But they are not ' scripture ' They are not ' inspired ' . They are not ' Gods word ' . They are not ' bible ' .
Do I need to edit that post of mine and put a trigger warning on it for you?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
1) I do not mean I'm against people who are in a religion . Prejudice or bigoted .

2) Yes I'm making the distinction between What I believe and' religion '.
Its the same thought when you look up the definition of a cult compared with a biblical definition of a cult . Its the same with 'religion '. The dictionary definition would lead some to put everyone in the same basket so to speak . The bible makes a distinction in the NT .

3) I Do see 'religion' as harmful and ultimately leads people away from God .

4 ) There are some religions that are man made . For power and control. But ultimately I believe each religion is satanic at the core of them.

5) No I don't believe everyone is bad , satanic , or such ,who follow a 'religion '
. Yes the motivation to join can be good . I believe no one is dumb for Joining a religion . I believe people are sincere who Join and even their founders sincere .

6 ) Yes I know this sounds contradictory and confusing. No I'm not superior or the only person to never be deceived.
But this is the perspective of what I believe the bible says .
7 ) Yes ,even within Christianity the pull to 'religion ' is Strong and can lead Christians to be come ' religious '

8) Yes I believe 'religion ' is responsible for SOME wars . Yes I believe its responsible for , conflict and spiritual abuse also
9 )Relatively speaking, not all religion is bad .
Any questions lol ?
I always find these sorts of statements from Christians to be ironic. Chrisitanity has a diety, prayers, houses of worship, a holy book, a system of ethics, theology, holy days, rites such as baptism and communion... all classic elements of , yes you guessed it, a religion. If you are a Christian, you are involved in a religion.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Edit: here's my definition of a religion:

A community of shared beliefs and practices, usually focused on worship of a god or gods.
That would be my definition of a spiritual cult (not in any negative sense).

Now add to this that the cult says it is the superior or only cult sanctioned by God (or by the Holy Spirit) or the last and best cult and there you have your religion!

Last edited:

joelr

Again ,In a nut shell its to attain by doing This can involve abstaining, following practices, self denial

I would sum up in a nut shell that most religions are to attain something by what we do , Where as Christianity is about what Jesus did to attain for us .

Following stories about a savior God is a religion. You first have to buy the mythology, that everyone has this magic "sin force" that must be redeemed in order to get into the afterlife. This is the Jewish version of the savior demigod mythology.

None of the stories are new, all concepts can be found first in earlier religions. Judaism didn't even have an afterlife for people until the 2nd temple period where they were occupied by Persians then Greeks. Heaven for all people, souls that go to heaven, world saviors who are virgin born and come to save humanity were all Persian and Hellenistic concepts which were then added to Judaism during that era.
You not only follow a religion but the myths are very specific on all the dogma. A specific savior, a heaven/hell cosmology, a God vs Satan, it's very specific, literal and exactly what the term religion means.

"Christian mythology is the body of myths associated with Christianity. The term encompasses a broad variety of legends and stories, especially those considered sacred narratives. Mythological themes and elements occur throughout Christian literature, including recurring myths such as ascending to a mountain, the axis mundi, myths of combat, descent into the Underworld, accounts of a dying-and-rising god, flood stories, stories about the founding of a tribe or city, and myths about great heroes (or saints) of the past, paradises, and self-sacrifice."

Speaking of the Persians, it's even mentioned on this same page as well. Notice Mircea Eliade says straight out the Jesus concept was originally a Persian myth. Mary Boyce is the top scholaron the Persian religion.

"Some scholars believe that many elements of Christian mythology, particularly its linear portrayal of time, originated with the Persian religion of Zoroastrianism.[29] Mary Boyce, an authority on Zoroastrianism, writes:

Zoroaster was thus the first to teach the doctrines of an individual judgment, Heaven and Hell, the future resurrection of the body, the general Last Judgment, and life everlasting for the reunited soul and body. These doctrines were to become familiar articles of faith to much of mankind, through borrowings by Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Mircea Eliade believes the Hebrews had a sense of linear time before Zoroastrianism influenced them. However, he argues, "a number of other [Jewish] religious ideas were discovered, revalorized, of systematized in Iran". These ideas include a dualism between good and evil, belief in a future savior and resurrection, and "an optimistic eschatology, proclaiming the final triumph of Good".

The concept of Amesha Spentas and Daevas probably gave rise to the Christian understanding of angels and demons."

Christian mythology - Wikipedia