• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian I'm against religion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm not against Muslims , Hindus , Mormons, Jehovah's_Witnesses, Catholics and such , Just the 'Religions ' .
That's a distinction that makes all the difference.
And I tend to take the opposite approach, namely that I tend to believe that all religions are attempting to seek God or Gods in generally and honest way, therefore I don't have a problem going to another's services and pretty much feel at home.

But where I don't feel much at home is when someone teaches that his/hers is the only "true faith". Then I feel like saying "Prove it", but I don't since I know they can't.

John1.12

Free gift
And I tend to take the opposite approach, namely that I tend to believe that all religions are attempting to seek God or Gods in generally and honest way, therefore I don't have a problem going to another's services and pretty much feel at home.

But where I don't feel much at home is when someone teaches that his/hers is the only "true faith". Then I feel like saying "Prove it", but I don't since I know they can't.
The only exclusivity I have is believing what Jesus said in John 14.6 and of course what the bible says. This is what I'm exclusive on .

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The only exclusivity I have is believing what Jesus said in John 14.6 and of course what the bible says. This is what I'm exclusive on .
Jesus says He is the way, the truth and the life, and the way to God in John 14:6, because He was, but Jesus never said He was the only way, truth or life or way to God for all of time. Many religious scriptures have similar statements so they could argue the same thing you are arguing.

John1.12

Free gift
Jesus says He is the way, the truth and the life, and the way to God in John 14:6, because He was, but Jesus never said He was the only way, truth or life or way to God for all of time. Many religious scriptures have similar statements so they could argue the same thing you are arguing.
Thats the worst argument I've ever heard . Its called the negative inference fallacy . " Jesus never said he WAS NOT a champion figure skater " , The Bible doesn't say ,Jesus and the diciples DID NOT smoke weed .
This is a terrible way to read the bible." The bible doesn't say God does not have a mother goddess " , Wow ! I could do this all night . I could start a new religion based on what Jesus did not say or what the bible doesn't say .

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If that's what works for you, that's fine. I believe in the main teachings of Jesus, namely love of God and neighbor:
Matthew 22:36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
[notice the word "all" in verse 40]

John1.12

Free gift
If that's what works for you, that's fine. I believe in the main teachings of Jesus, namely love of God and neighbor:
Matthew 22:36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
[notice the word "all" in verse 40]
Whos Jesus speaking to? And when ?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's not what the bible says though. I believe God's word has endured ,as he said it would. After all this is God were talking about.
It will endure because what has been revealed by God never passes away...

Matthew 24:35 “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.”

It is not literally 'God's Word' because God did not write the Bible, nor did Jesus.
A Baha'i viewpoint and some official statements on the Bible are as follows:

The Bahá'í viewpoint proposed by this essay has been established as follows: The Bible is a reliable source of Divine guidance and salvation, and rightly regarded as a sacred and holy book. However, as a collection of the writings of independent and human authors, it is not necessarily historically accurate. Nor can the words of its writers, although inspired, be strictly defined as 'The Word of God' in the way the original words of Moses and Jesus could have been. Instead there is an area of continuing interest for Bahá'í scholars, possibly involving the creation of new categories for defining authoritative religious literature.

A Baháí View of the Bible
(Rosebery, Australia: Association for Baha'i Studies Australia, 1996)

In studying the Bible Bahá'ís must bear two principles in mind. The first is that many passages in Sacred Scriptures are intended to be taken metaphorically, not literally, and some of the paradoxes and apparent contradictions which appear are intended to indicate this. The second is the fact that the text of the early Scriptures, such as the Bible, is not wholly authentic.
(28 May 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bahá'ís believe what is in the Bible to be true in substance. This does not mean that every word recorded in that Book is to be taken literally and treated as the authentic saying of a Prophet....

The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words
(9 August 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bible: Extracts on the Old and New Testaments
(From letters written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice)

John1.12

Free gift

Matthew 24:35 “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.”

It is not literally 'God's Word' because God did not write the Bible, nor did Jesus.

The Bahá'í viewpoint proposed by this essay has been established as follows: The Bible is a reliable source of Divine guidance and salvation, and rightly regarded as a sacred and holy book. However, as a collection of the writings of independent and human authors, it is not necessarily historically accurate. Nor can the words of its writers, although inspired, be strictly defined as 'The Word of God' in the way the original words of Moses and Jesus could have been. Instead there is an area of continuing interest for Bahá'í scholars, possibly involving the creation of new categories for defining authoritative religious literature.

In studying the Bible Bahá'ís must bear two principles in mind. The first is that many passages in Sacred Scriptures are intended to be taken metaphorically, not literally, and some of the paradoxes and apparent contradictions which appear are intended to indicate this. The second is the fact that the text of the early Scriptures, such as the Bible, is not wholly authentic.

The Bahá'ís believe what is in the Bible to be true in substance. This does not mean that every word recorded in that Book is to be taken literally and treated as the authentic saying of a Prophet....

The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words

I believe the bible alone is the word of God. So that means that I believe what you are following is false .

John1.12

Free gift

None of what you quote there is from the bible so as its not in the bible, its not biblical.