• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian do you believe in an honest-to-god punishing Hell?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think you'll find that your wish will be granted.
That's great, I just couldn't stand being with all those self righteous do gooders............but all jokes a side, I don't believe in a heaven what so ever, this is it right here and now, enjoy it while it last.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Well, that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but what if it's an incorrect opinion? I'm not sure why you bring up someone having a drink or two as if something like that is wrong with eternally negative consequences. What if God knows more than you know? Let's say, as the scriptures indicate, He created people for the purpose of living with Him forever in joy, free from sin, pain, and bondage, yet those who refuse to trust His love and goodness end up in a place empty of goodness and joy by their own rejection. There is no cruelty on God's part who desires everyone to live with Him enjoying His beauty and love forever.
In case you didn't know, a drink or two is forbidden by many Christians, your god may seem loving to you, but at the end of the day, he is a evil, he only wants his own way, but I don't believe in a personal god so it doesn't bother me the least.

InChrist

Free4ever
In case you didn't know, a drink or two is forbidden by many Christians, your god may seem loving to you, but at the end of the day, he is a evil, he only wants his own way, but I don't believe in a personal god so it doesn't bother me the least.
Whether many Christians forbid a drink or two is irrelevant since Christians are not God and the scriptures do not forbid a drink or two. You are certainly free to choose not to believe in God, but it seems baseless and illogical to just decide the God you don't believe in is evil.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Whether many Christians forbid a drink or two is irrelevant since Christians are not God and the scriptures do not forbid a drink or two. You are certainly free to choose not to believe in God, but it seems baseless and illogical to just decide the God you don't believe in is evil.
I have read the bible and it is full of evil by god, in fact god has killed far more than the so called Satan, this from the bible. I was a Christian for many years, so I do know what I am talking about, I have noticed over all those years that many project their emotions onto god, I think many people never grow up and become mature, and god is like a daddy that protects them, and also many are afraid of death, so daddy gives them life after death, I suppose its like having a pension waiting for you when you die, just like an old age pension.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The picture, to me makes it seem that Jesus is trapping us. For example, I show up to someone's door with a shotgun and announce that I'm there to save their lives. They ask me from what. I respond "save you from my blowing your brains out if you don't let me in the house." One would rather that the man with the gun had not come by to "save" them, since had he not come by, there would have been no danger. That's the message I took away and thought it missed the point. But I probably should not dwell on that any more.
And isn't this exactly the situation god set in motion? He created a world where every person on earth is under the shotgun of original sin, and to be saved from its consequences, hell, one has to let Jesus into their life. And your quite right, wouldn't it have been nice if there had been no need for a redeemer to come knocking? Of course it would, but that's not how god constructed the game. God purposely infused all of mankind with original sin because . . . . . because. . . . .he could I guess, :shrug: and then expects mankind to abandon his best tool for making sense of the world, reason, in favor of trading for the only Get-Out-Of-Jail card in the deck: surrendering oneself to Jesus no matter what cost. Short of this the wages of original sin has you by the short hairs. And for those who never get the message, or worse yet, hear if from an incompetent preacher and find it gibberish, prepare for a hot time in the old town tonight.
Gotta tell you, anyone who treated their children in such a way would have them taken away, and be put in jail. So, I believe . . .

"Let me in."

"Why?"
"So I can save you."

"From what?"
"From what I'm going to do to you if you don't let me in!"​

sums up this whole scenario very nicely. Hardly a pretty picture, but neither is god's grand game.

Kolibri

It's a spiritual protection racket!

It would be and has been the way the churches in times past have pushed fire and damnation. I don't see being asleep forever as much of a thing to be dreaded. It would be more stress knowing you were going to die because you were stubborn then being dead itself - and take a lot less time too.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
According to the scriptures the lake of fire was created for Satan and the fallen angels. So the verses which mention this are to give people warning of the miserable eternal state that is in store for anyone who chooses to follow Satan and go there, rather than changing direction and choosing the eternal destiny of love, beauty, joy, and endless creativity which the Creator desires for all.
I don't believe in tough luck, purgatory, or that the ignorant are simply bound for hell with no hope or left out of the loop to have salvation. I trust the goodness of God and if He desires that all should be saved as His word indicates, then I know that all have the opportunity and He will see to it. The Bible has several examples of people who were outside of the loop of Israel in the OT or hearing the gospel in the NT, yet they demonstrated faith toward God and He blessed them or provided more information. I believe if someone, anywhere is sincerely seeking to know God, He will in one way or another provide all that may be needed...bibles, teachers, missionaries, believing friends, tracts, etc. for them to hear about Christ and have the opportunity of salvation.[/QUOTE]

Please notice the definition of the lake of fire according to Rev. 20 vs 13,14.
Isn't the lake of fire defined as ' second death ' ?_______
Doesn't Satan end up in ' second death ' according to Rev. 21:8 ?_______
Death in Scripture is: ' sleep ' according to Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 115:17;146:4; Daniel 12vs2,13 and John 11 vs 11-14
' Second death' would be eternal sleep, or the opposite of eternal life which is eternal death with No future hope.
As Psalm 92:7 mentions the wicked ( includes Satan ) will be destroyed forever ( annihilated ). Destroyed as in second death.
Doesn't Jesus destroy Satan according to Hebrews 2:14 B ?_______

People (Never Satan and his angels ) are in hell. As dead Jesus was Not left in biblical hell (grave ), all the people in the Bible's hell will be ' delivered up ' out of hell according to Rev. 20 vs 13,14 before emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The translations differ very much in these verses. Many of the bibels tell me, that Jesus was not left in hell. The others tell me, that Jesus was never in hell.

New International Version
because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, you will not let your holy one see decay.
New Living Translation
For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your Holy One to rot in the grave.
English Standard Version
For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption.
New American Standard Bible
BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT ABANDON MY SOUL TO HADES, NOR ALLOW YOUR HOLY ONE TO UNDERGO DECAY.
Holman Christian Standard Bible
because You will not leave me in Hades or allow Your Holy One to see decay.
International Standard Version
For you will not abandon my soul to Hades or allow your Holy One to experience decay.
NET Bible
because you will not leave my soul in Hades, nor permit your Holy One to experience decay.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“Because you did not leave my Soul in Sheol and you did not give your Pure One to see destruction.
GOD'S WORD® Translation
because you do not abandon my soul to the grave or allow your holy one to decay.
Jubilee Bible 2000
because thou wilt not leave my soul in Hades, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
King James 2000 Bible
Because you will not leave my soul in hades, neither will you allow your Holy One to see corruption.
American King James Version
Because you will not leave my soul in hell, neither will you suffer your Holy One to see corruption.
American Standard Version
Because thou wilt not leave my soul unto Hades, Neither wilt thou give thy Holy One to see corruption.
Douay-Rheims Bible
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, nor suffer thy Holy One to see corruption.
Darby Bible Translation
for thou wilt not leave my soul in hades, nor wilt thou give thy gracious one to see corruption.
English Revised Version
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in Hades, Neither wilt thou give thy Holy One to see corruption.
Webster's Bible Translation
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thy Holy One to see corruption:
Weymouth New Testament
For Thou wilt not leave me in the Unseen World forsaken, nor give up Thy holy One to undergo decay.
World English Bible
because you will not leave my soul in Hades, neither will you allow your Holy One to see decay.
Young's Literal Translation
because Thou wilt not leave my soul to hades, nor wilt Thou give Thy Kind One to see corruption;

Right. The dead Jesus was Not left in hell. In other words, Jesus did Not remain in hell.
God delivered up, or resurrected the dead Jesus out of hell.- Acts 2 vs 27,31,32; 3:15
In order for God to resurrect Jesus out of hell then Jesus would first have to be in hell in order to be resurrected out of hell.

Whether one uses the English word hell, or the Greek hades/haides, or the Hebrew word Sheol all mean the stone-cold grave.
While in biblical hell Jesus was Not burning in flames, rather Jesus was sound asleep in the grave/hell.
Jesus taught sleep in death - John 11 vs 11-14
Jesus was well educated ( even by age 12 ) in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach: sleep in death.
References: Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 6:5;13:3; 115:17; 146:4 ; Daniel 12 vs 2,13

What Bible verse says Jesus was never in the Bible's hell ?______________________
There is a BIG difference in the temporary Bible's hell, and the religious-myth hell of a permanent burning forever.
The religious-myth hell has been taught as Scripture, but that's Not what the Bible really teaches about the Bible's hell.
Especially when the Jews mixed with the Greeks they adopted Greek theories and philosophies and began teaching them as being Scripture although Not found in Scripture. That does Not make the Bible's hell as wrong, but makes wrong teachings as wrong.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No that's not true, we are talking about people who just don't want anything to do with God, or someone who likes a drink or two, or someone who is happy just the way they are. No, this concept of god is cruel and has no position in this world we live in today, it may have served its propose in the dark ages, but we are no longer there, such backward thinking has had its time.

Whatever we put first in our lives is our God/god.
Some people look in the mirror and see their god.
False religious teachers often teach what is Not scriptural as being Scripture.
That was true even in Jesus' day - Mark 7 vs 1-7,13; Matthew 15:9 and Matthew chapter 23.
Yes, scare tactics ( forever burning ) were used and still used to control the flock of God - Acts 20 vs 29,30
False teachings, even though taught as Scripture, does Not make the Bible as wrong, but makes those false teachers as wrong.

InChrist

Free4ever
Please notice the definition of the lake of fire according to Rev. 20 vs 13,14.
Isn't the lake of fire defined as ' second death ' ?_______
Doesn't Satan end up in ' second death ' according to Rev. 21:8 ?_______
Death in Scripture is: ' sleep ' according to Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 115:17;146:4; Daniel 12vs2,13 and John 11 vs 11-14
' Second death' would be eternal sleep, or the opposite of eternal life which is eternal death with No future hope.
As Psalm 92:7 mentions the wicked ( includes Satan ) will be destroyed forever ( annihilated ). Destroyed as in second death.
Doesn't Jesus destroy Satan according to Hebrews 2:14 B ?_______

People (Never Satan and his angels ) are in hell. As dead Jesus was Not left in biblical hell (grave ), all the people in the Bible's hell will be ' delivered up ' out of hell according to Rev. 20 vs 13,14 before emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.

I agree death in the scripture is sleep, but sleep for the body alone until the resurrection. The scriptures reveal that the soul of a person lives on after death in consciousness. I don't believe annihilation to be true because the Bible uses such terms as "shame and everlasting contempt" (Dan. 12:2) and "torment . . . forever" (Rev. 14:11). Shame and torment are sufferings that are experienced by a conscious living being, not an annihilated corpse.

Jesus plainly spoke of eternal suffering...And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life. Matthew 25:46

The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. 20:10

Revelation states that it is not a vacant hell or only death and Hades, but anyone not found in the Book of Life that is cast into the lake of fire and this is the second death where torment occurs forever...
Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
Rev. 20:14-15

According to the scriptures and teaching of Paul the believer's SOUL does not go to the grave at death but remains conscious and goes to be with the Lord (Phi. 1:21-23; 2 Cor. 5:1-10; 1 Thess. 5:10). Only the BODY goes to the grave in sleep.

An unsaved man's body also goes to the grave at death, but his SOUL goes to a place of conscious torment (Luke. 16:22-23).

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Whatever we put first in our lives is our God/god.
Some people look in the mirror and see their god.
False religious teachers often teach what is Not scriptural as being Scripture.
That was true even in Jesus' day - Mark 7 vs 1-7,13; Matthew 15:9 and Matthew chapter 23.
Yes, scare tactics ( forever burning ) were used and still used to control the flock of God - Acts 20 vs 29,30
False teachings, even though taught as Scripture, does Not make the Bible as wrong, but makes those false teachers as wrong.
Yes excuses, excuses........actually to really look into the mirror, beyond our self is to truly see God, not in someone's hearsay, or some old book.