• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armageddon

rusra02

Premium Member
Armageddon is mentioned only once in the Bible, at Revelation 16:16. What do you think Armageddon is, and why?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
A fantasy conjured up during troubled times as a form of comfort that, though things were bound to get worse, they would ultimately work out for the better.

Yadon

Most likely some predicted event about what the Roman Empire might do to Christians or their holy lands.

There is a very definite link between Nero and 666.

The values of the Hebrew letters in the name Neron equals 666. This is the most frequent number cited.

But some centuries later translations tried to correct it, making it 616 to match Nero, dropping the letter for N. And yes, if you add the Hebrew letters for Nero without the N, you get 616. This proves that most people for a long time were in on it, and knew it was speaking of Nero.

So then, I take it that anything spoken in Revelation was very political, but dressed as allegories, highly spiritual and other such things as a form of code among the early Christ-followers.

Meeka_S

Welcome to Meeka Seth.

Hey Yadon,

What is meaning about your display picture ?

I saw this symbol many time.

Plato

Armageddon is mentioned only once in the Bible, at Revelation 16:16. What do you think Armageddon is, and why?
I have to agree with nazz above, it's in fact 'Mt Megiddo' (the words mean the same) a high point in the line of hills running E-W across north central Canaan (Israel) and blocking the N-S route through Canaan and into the hills of Judah. Many Biblical and historic battles had been fought there as it was a natural military 'choke point' in ancient times, so the author of 'Revelation' writing c.95AD made it the point for his climatic defeat of the armies of evil because all his readers back then would understand the meaning of the place.
I like many others and several Christian denominations also think as Riverwolf said above...that Revelation was written in code to prophesize the fall/ punishment of Rome (Babylon) which did indeed happen first in the 200'sAD then for good in the 400'sAD, to comfort the Christians fire them up and encourage them during the terrible persecution and attempted genocide of Christians conducted by Emperor Domitian (82-96AD). That the Book of Revelation for us now is about our past and the fall of Rome and not about 'our' future and 'Armageddon' has nothing to do with anyone's future past the 400'sAD and is not about the end of the world/ end of time etc.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am sure Armageddon is not what JWs say it is which is God's war to end wars. I don't even think it means war. Also I don't believe the "kings" that are gathered mean Earth's sovereign rulers of nations. I think it means anyone with enough authority and sufficient followers to make a difference in the world. It can certainly mean religious leaders as well as civil ones.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It is a fancy Swastika. Translated it means "it's good". Very, very ancient symbol originating in Hinduism. Many variants are still used by many religions today, mostly in India and Asia.

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, it's older than recognizable Hinduism. It's been found in the Americas as well. In Northern Europe, the fylfot (as we call it) is also sacred, connected with Thunor.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm a partial preterist, so I don't believe it's something that has yet to happen. Whatever it was, it happened a long time ago.

arthra

Baha'i

There is an actual place called Har Megeddo in the Holy Lands... I wasn't far from it when I visited Haifa while on pilgrimage.

It is the site of a an actual battle that occurred in 1918

Battle of Megiddo (1918) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1912 Abdul-Baha warned of such a battle:

In an address in California in October
1912 He said: --

"We are on the eve of the Battle of Armageddon referred
to in the sixteenth chapter of Revelation."

~ Dr. J.E. Esslemont, Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 243

A few years later (1914) He warned:

"A great melee of the civilized nations is in sight. A
tremendous conflict is at hand. The world is at the threshold
of a most tragic struggle. ... Vast armies -- millions
of men -- are being mobilized and stationed at their frontiers.
They are being prepared for the fearful contest. The
slightest friction will bring them into a terrific crash, and
there will be a conflagration, the like of which is not recorded
in the past history of mankind."

(At Haifa, August 3,
1914).

~ Dr. J.E. Esslemont, Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 243

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
I'm a partial preterist, so I don't believe it's something that has yet to happen. Whatever it was, it happened a long time ago.

I think the context makes it clear what Armageddon is. Verse 13 says that "unclean inspired expressions (or propaganda) that are, as verse 14 reports, "expressions inspired by demons that "go out to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty." Two things stand out to me in this verse. 1. All the kings or governments on earth are gathered. 2. They are gathered to a war that involves God, called the "war of the great day of God the Almighty." Then verse 16 describes their gathering to the place Armageddon. It appears that Armageddon is not a physical location but rather the confrontation between the governments of men and God's government, the final war.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Well its inevetable but it doesn't mean is divinely inspired. Eventually the Earth will be unlivable. What actually tips us over the edge is still undetermined as its a tossup. Human intervention might destroy it. Astroid, gamma blast, sun's death, core could cool, ect.

But if humans found a way to transverse the universe and found wasy to find habitable planets then we could continue on past this. Then we would simply have to wait till an accidenct killed us off OR till the light in the universe fades.

BruceDLimber

In fact, the Battle of Armageddon took place in 1918, near the end of World War I, when the British General Allenby defeated the Turks on the Plain of har-Megiddo (hence, "Armageddon").

It is thus now part of history and not something still predicted or expected.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Nope, not according to what I've read. The '666' label is not name specific, it's just phonetic arithmetic. I understand Hitler also added up.

And Crowley, and apparently "George the Cat":

[youtube]oLO9TdXLJcY[/youtube]

Oh, and "Jesus Christ" transliterated to Hebrew from Greek (just as "Caesar Nero" is).

BSM1

What? Me worry?
And Crowley, and apparently "George the Cat":

[youtube]oLO9TdXLJcY[/youtube]

Oh, and "Jesus Christ" transliterated to Hebrew from Greek (just as "Caesar Nero" is).

There ya go.:yes: