• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armageddon

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Not too sure.

I take the Armageddon symbolic like a lot of the Bible. God is symbolic for Good, Satan is symbolic for Evil. So the Good in mankind will battle the Evil of mankind, and the Good will rise into peace (absolute nonexistence) and the Evil will suffer on Earth with Satan (their own destructive and greedy nature), and what I mean by rise into peace is the Good are usually less powerful than the Evil, so they will be taken down according to the Survival of the Fittest.

This is just an idea though. Personal opinion. Humans destroying themselves is likely.

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Despite all the speculation you may see here about supposed future end-times events, in fact the Battle of Armageddon already took place in 1918, near the end of World War I!

This was when the British General Allenby defeated the Turks on the Plain of Megiddo (near Haifa), thus stopping them from committing religious atrocities they were planning!

So these days, it's simply history.

Peace,

Bruce

Christina83

Chrissie
Despite all the speculation you may see here about supposed future end-times events, in fact the Battle of Armageddon already took place in 1918, near the end of World War I!

This was when the British General Allenby defeated the Turks on the Plain of Megiddo (near Haifa), thus stopping them from committing religious atrocities they were planning!

So these days, it's simply history.

Peace,

Bruce

Naaaa I don't think so...
There is no literal Mountain of Megiddo; only a mound about 70 feet (21 m) high where ruins of ancient Megiddo are found.
The bible talks of "the entire inhabited earth" will be involved.
The kings and military forces of “the entire inhabited earth” could not fit into the literal Plain of Esdraelon, below Megiddo. The plain is triangular, only 20 miles (32 km) long and 18 miles (29 km) wide at the eastern end.

However the name is fitting because of Megiddo’s role in history; the plain below Megiddo was the site of decisive wars.

Any other thoughts?

rusra02

Premium Member
Armageddon....what is it? does it affect us? if yes...how?

Revelation 16:14-16 mentions Armageddon or Har-magedon. "expressions inspired by demons..perform signs, and they go forth to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty. ... And they gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Har-Magedon.

Armegeddon is God's war against the nations of this world. It is described in more detail in Revelation chapter 19. This final battle will bring an end to rule by the nations and destroy all the wicked. It is "the war of the great day of God the Almighty." The destruction will be global and complete (Daniel 2:44, Jeremiah 25:31-33) By means of this final battle, God will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth." (Revelation 11:18)

Thus we should all take seriously Armageddon, and do as instructed at Zephaniah 2:2-3; "Before there comes upon you the day of Jehovah's anger, seek Jehovah, all you meek ones of the earth, who have practiced His own judicial decision. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably you may be concealed in the day of Jehovah's anger."

St Giordano Bruno

That circular altar at Tel Megiddo was in all probability used for human sacrifice and it is no surprise that due a certain geographical feature in the Suez region known as an isthmus , trade and nomadic routs were forced to converge making it a region of much conflict. Native American we also living a zone of increasing conflict in the Panama region and also increasing rituals of human sacrifice as well frequent folklore of end times. Migratory trade routes would have forced to bottleneck along the fertile East Mediterranean coastline in what is now Israel they would not have taken kindly to being forced out further east into the desert as they migrate to the Nile Delta on the other side of the Suez Isthmus. Megiddo could not have been better positioned as prime land to ward of nomadic invaders as they intend to travel via the more fertile coastline from Asia Minor to Egypt.

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

The bible talks of "the entire inhabited earth" will be involved.

Not a problem. Prophecies also said "the whole earth will see it together" in respect to the coming of Christ, and that didn't happen, either.

It's a HUGE mistake to try to take all of the Bible literally!

And the battle I mentioned did indeed happen and IOV did fulfill the prophecy in question.

Peace,

Bruce

Christina83

Chrissie
Many people think it's hell, I am getting so many answers to this thread.
All answers are different and interesting! So glad to communicate with smart people on this site :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Armageddon is a mountain, its about an hour drive or so from my house, and I have plenty of friends who excavated at Tel Megiddo, one of the most important archaeological sites of the biblical period.
to break the English word Armageddon into its Hebrew origin: Har Megiddo, literally "Mountain Megiddo".
as an archaeologist, I don't believe it has anything to do with the actual end times, but it is a fascinating site in its own right which sheds light on the Bronze and Iron age in the Levant.

Last edited:

Christina83

Chrissie
I will go for the "Mountain of Megiddo" explanation...however the Armageddon referred to in the Bible is a little different.
Below is the fruit of some research I did on this matter:
A prophecy in the bible talks about " and they go forth to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the was of the great day of God the Almighty. And they gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Har-Magedon" - Rev 16:14 and 16

In the original Greek sciptures the word used for "the place" is "to'pon".
To'pon also means condition or situation.
So in this case it means that one day there will be a situation to which earth's political rulers are being gathered in opposition to God.
In this case the bible is not saying that this war will be fought in the Middle East, but used Megiddo's name because of it's role in hystory, infact, he plain below Megiddo was the site of decisive wars.
Now the point is: Who or what will be destroyed at Armageddon? and will it be possible to take a neutral position?