• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill That Would Prevent Atheists from Graduating

Pastadamus

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill That Would Not Allow Atheists To Graduate High School

A group of Arizona politicians — all Republicans, of course — have proposed a law (House Bill 2467) requiring public high school students to recite the following oath in order to graduate:

I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

Just another example of Republicans being stuck in the wrong century.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hate loyalty oaths in general, but religious oaths really burn my bacon!
Back in the day, we still had compulsory prayer in public school. I refused even then.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Even without the religious addition, I wouldn't be a fan of such a requirement.

Pastadamus

I hate loyalty oaths in general, but religious oaths really burn my bacon!
Back in the day, we still had compulsory prayer in public school. I refused even then.

Even the Pledge of Allegiance is controversial since "under God" an is an unconstitutional endorsement of the xtian god in public school. I don't know how anyone can think that forcing people to plege allegiance with the words "so help me god" is a good idea.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Even the Pledge of Allegiance is controversial since "under God" an is an unconstitutional endorsement of the xtian god in public school. I don't know how anyone can think that forcing people to plege allegiance with the words "so help me god" is a good idea.
I do not see how any one can see how pledging an allegiance to any thing in order to receive your diploma.

Seems to me it is nothing more than a con job to obtain an empty oath out of people before giving them something that it rightfully thiers to begin with.

it would be the same as if your employer made you give an oath every pay day before handing over your paycheck.

And instead of addressing this particular point, people are worried about the word "god" being in the oath?

Seems to me some people are looking for any reason to throw a fit and in this case have picked the WRONG one...

averageJOE

zombie
I do not see how any one can see how pledging an allegiance to any thing in order to receive your diploma.

Seems to me it is nothing more than a con job to obtain an empty oath out of people before giving them something that it rightfully thiers to begin with.

it would be the same as if your employer made you give an oath every pay day before handing over your paycheck.

And instead of addressing this particular point, people are worried about the word "god" being in the oath?

Seems to me some people are looking for any reason to throw a fit and in this case have picked the WRONG one...
Thank you Mestemia. I was going to say this but you said it much better.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Does anyone here even realize where that oath is actually from?
Satan?

I see what's really going on here. Those "Republicans" are actually RINOs, who are out to destroy the country.
How, you ask? By preventing atheists from graduating, they'll deplete the ranks of scientists & engineers
(who have higher than average percentage of heathens), which will put the country at technological disadvantage.
The ranks of weapon systems designers will be replaced undereducated fundies, who will replace scientific methods
with faith based engineering. We will consequently lag behind godless states like China & Russia, who will give
us the military equivalent of atomic wedgies & purple nurples!

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I like how they want to mandate the recitation of an oath to defend the constitution even though such a mandate itself is unconstitutional. It's seems that republicans tend to confuse "freedom" with "fascism". Which is understandable - they both start with "F" after all.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Not just atheists, but people who are critical thinkers.

Stupid bills are proposed all the time. It won't go anywhere, and even if it did, the judiciary would tear it apart.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I like how they want to mandate the recitation of an oath to defend the constitution even though such a mandate itself is unconstitutional. It's seems that republicans tend to confuse "freedom" with "fascism". Which is understandable - they both start with "F" after all.
There are Republican atheists, you know.
And there are also Democrats who want forced recitation of religious loyalty oaths.
I know both kinds. (I run with a bad crowd.)
giant-paintbrush.jpg

tytlyf

Not Religious
And there are also Democrats who want forced recitation of religious loyalty oaths.
Both of which are such a small minority it isn't worth mentioning. I'd say they're 'lost souls'

There's a lot more republicans on welfare than atheists in their party.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Odd that they would support those who have no respect for them or their rights.

I can understand atheists being fiscal conservatives, but it makes no sense that an atheist would support the agendas of religious fundamentalists.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've always been rather apolitical, even anti-political, and have generally seen both/all political parties as equally vapid and destructive, but the argument that Democrats are just as bad as Republicans is becoming increasingly difficult to aruge.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Odd that they would support those who have no respect for them or their rights.
I can understand atheists being fiscal conservatives, but it makes no sense that an atheist would support the agendas of religious fundamentalists.
Of course, not all Republicans are fundies.
Criminy, there are even gay Publicans.
So obviously, they must see some potential to advance their goals within that party.