• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill That Would Prevent Atheists from Graduating

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Does anyone here even realize where that oath is actually from?
It's the Army pledge. Which is very sick that they would even think about forcing students to take such an oath (or any oath), with or without mentioning God, to get their diploma. They're lucky I'm not a student there or there would be a huge case made out of it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Actually I would say it's just as pathetic that people focus on the "so help me God" part than the fact that the kids are forced to lie by stating they are freely taking an oath that they are forced to take.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Actually I would say it's just as pathetic that people focus on the "so help me God" part than the fact that the kids are forced to lie by stating they are freely taking an oath that they are forced to take.

Actually, the majority of people in this thread have taken offense to the oath itself, and not the God part.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Agreed. Even without the "God" part of the oath, I would fight tooth and nail if our local district required my children to take an oath to receive an earned diploma.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Actually, the majority of people in this thread have taken offense to the oath itself, and not the God part.
It was my comment to this from the OP article:
I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.
It’s bad enough the Republicans are demanding loyalty of the kind normally reserved for members of Congress and beyond — but there’s also no way I would say those last four words[emphasis added], and the current text of the legislation does not allow for any alternatives.
In other words, if this bill were to become a law, atheists would either not be allowed to graduate… or they would be forced to lie so they could graduate. Neither option is acceptable.
I just find that to be incredibly short sighted and self-centered on how his rights as an atheist are being violated because of the under god part, when the fact is everyone's rights are being violated. And it being a part of the Army oath, IMO, is too militant for a school. And as well the part of the oath taker being under no obligation to take it, even the student would be legally required to take it.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I think I would be more upset over legislators wasting time on a bill that has no chance in hell of ever making it to an enforceable law.

Oh, and the fact that high schools already have the ability to withhold a students diploma for virtually any reason they choose.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Of course, not all Republicans are fundies.
Of course not. But the fact that the fundies have taken over the GOTP is a disturbing influence. Will you denounce the tea party and their followers already? America did so when it flared up a few years back. What will it take for you to denounce these sort of outlandish, bizarre, remarks?
True dat. As a parenthetical aside, here is a group fighting Obama's nasty efforts to stifle whistle blowers....
Hackers take over gov't website to avenge Swartz - CBS News
Nice spin. Bait, not, received. Re-cast please

averageJOE

zombie
I've had to recite that oath twice. Once when I enlisted into the military, the other when I got hired into the federal job I have now. Both times I stayed silent on the "so help me god" part.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Even the Pledge of Allegiance is controversial since "under God" an is an unconstitutional endorsement of the xtian god in public school. I don't know how anyone can think that forcing people to plege allegiance with the words "so help me god" is a good idea.

Being an Atheist and one who works for a public school system..no one is required to stand or speak the pledge....so you can imagine the looks I get from my sanctimonious heathen Christian colleagues when I don't......LOL!!!....:D

Alceste

Vagabond
When I graduated, all I had to do was pass my courses. Hard to believe that a country that was once a pioneer for the concepts of free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of association would end up requiring universal, militant, authoritarian monotheistic oaths from all its citizens.

I can only imagine the consequences of such a law. "Well, I know your average grade is 95 % but since you're not paranoid about the nation's enemies and don't believe in god, you FAIL and you can't go to university in this country. Sorry! Have fun in Europe or Canada!"

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument...Session_ID=110
Text of AZ HB2467
AN ACT

amending Title 15, chapter 7, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 15-701.03; relating to school curriculum.

(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)

Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:

Section 1. Title 15, chapter 7, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 15-701.03, to read:

15-701.03. Graduation requirement; constitutional oath

Beginning in the 2013‑2014 school year, In addition to fulfilling the course of study and assessment requirements prescribed in this chapter, before a pupil is allowed to graduate from a public high school in this state, the principal or head teacher of the school shall verify in writing that the pupil has recited the following oath:

I, _________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

Ironically-they can't be taking this oath freely if they can't get their duly earned diploma without it...:rolleyes:

Alceste

Vagabond
http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument...Session_ID=110
Text of AZ HB2467
AN ACT

amending Title 15, chapter 7, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 15-701.03; relating to school curriculum.

(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)

Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:

Section 1. Title 15, chapter 7, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 15-701.03, to read:

15-701.03. Graduation requirement; constitutional oath

Beginning in the 2013‑2014 school year, In addition to fulfilling the course of study and assessment requirements prescribed in this chapter, before a pupil is allowed to graduate from a public high school in this state, the principal or head teacher of the school shall verify in writing that the pupil has recited the following oath:

I, _________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

Ironically-they can't be taking this oath freely if they can't get their duly earned diploma without it...:rolleyes:

It's kind of intimidating, isn't it. You get the sense that any person who is not religious, patriotic or authoritarian by nature is being forced to choose whether to lie or to fail high school. I could not have passed this test myself, since my father taught me the value of integrity at an early age. I might very well have failed high school, which is ridiculous, considering my grades.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
It's kind of intimidating, isn't it. You get the sense that any person who is not religious, patriotic or authoritarian by nature is being forced to choose whether to lie or to fail high school. I could not have passed this test myself, since my father taught me the value of integrity at an early age. I might very well have failed high school, which is ridiculous, considering my grades.
Anyone taking that oath would be lying if it was a requirement, considering that it states that "I take this obligation freely." Even the military oath does not include that wording.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/oathofenlist.htm

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Being an Atheist and one who works for a public school system..no one is required to stand or speak the pledge....so you can imagine the looks I get from my sanctimonious heathen Christian colleagues when I don't......LOL!!!....:D
They're looks of envy, admiration & longing....right?