• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you worried about the Coronavirus outbreak

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
That is all true of influenza.

-There are new strains regularly.
-We have minimally effective vaccines, so we don’t yet know how to treat flu.
-Flu is deadly. Mainly to the old, the very young, and the infirm. Just like Covid-19.
-Flu spreads quickly.
-Flu is everywhere.

What’s the difference ?
Seriously...what is the difference ?

So, again...
For starters, based on the figures we have the fatality rate for covid-19 is between 10 and 20 times as high as the flu were used to having to dealing with.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
For starters, based on the figures we have the fatality rate for covid-19 is between 10 and 20 times as high as the flu were used to having to dealing with.

No, that’s way too high.

This article spells out the complexities of arriving at the mortality rate....
Coronavirus Mortality Rate (COVID-19) - Worldometer

“As recorded by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC), by Feb 16, 2020, there had been 70 641 confirmed cases and 1772 deaths due to COVID-19, with an average mortality of about 2·5%.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30068-1/fulltext
However, in-depth analysis of these
data show clear disparities in mortality rates between Wuhan (>3%), different regions of Hubei (about 2·9% on average), and across the other provinces of China (about 0·7% on average).
We postulate that this is likely to be related to the rapid escalation in the number of infections around the epicentre of the outbreak, which has resulted in an insufficiency of health-care resources, thereby negatively affecting patient outcomes in Hubei, while this has not yet been the situation for the other parts of China (figure A, B). If we assume that average levels of health care are similar throughout China, higher numbers of infections in a given population can be considered an indirect indicator of a heavier health-care burden. Plotting mortality against the incidence of COVID-19 (cumulative number of confirmed cases since the start of the outbreak, per 10 000 population) showed a significant positive correlation (figure C), suggesting that mortality is correlated with health-care burden.”

Last edited:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
5 Million Cases Worldwide, 650,000 Deaths Annually: The Seasonal Flu Virus is a "Serious Concern", But the Wuhan Coronavirus Grabs the Headlines - Global Research

The common flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization

In the US:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S. The CDC reports there have been 54 reported flu-related pediatric deaths this season from Influenza B viruses. (The Hill)”

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
5 Million Cases Worldwide, 650,000 Deaths Annually: The Seasonal Flu Virus is a "Serious Concern", But the Wuhan Coronavirus Grabs the Headlines - Global Research

The common flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization

In the US:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S. The CDC reports there have been 54 reported flu-related pediatric deaths this season from Influenza B viruses. (The Hill)”

Yes, but that's 5 million cases and 650,000 deaths out of 7 1/2 billion people. And remember these numbers include the third world where malnutrition and nonavailability of quality healthcare play a huge role in the tally.

Just using the U.S (as a more viable comparison) and the figures you give:

8,200 deaths out of a population of 327 million comes out to roughly 1 in every 40,000 people.

Covid-19 (yes me and the virus are on a first name basis now) has accounted for over 80,000 and something like 2700 deaths just in Hubei province, total population 53 Million.
Hubei - Wikipedia
(*edit: couldn't actually find anything to verify what percentage/number of Covid-19 cases occurred in Hubei province as opposed to the rest of China, so tihs may be off a bit)

That's about 1 in every 20,000 people.

This was just a bunch of quick calculations by someone who's math skills suck, but you see what I'm saying.

And all this is contingent on accepting the numbers China has been releasing to the rest of the world. Not everybody does.

VOX said:
Dr. Anne Schuchat, deputy director of the CDC, stated that her organization believes China is underreporting Covid-19 data.

Many believe the Chinese government is still underreporting Covid-19 data. Unconfirmed reports suggest that these assumptions may be correct.

According to the Epoch Times, an anti-communist news outlet in New York, Chinese authorities may have underreported daily Covid-19 infection rates by up to 520% in Shandong province. The report claims to use leaked internal documents to substantiate these bold claims.

Covid-19 Is On The Verge Of Being Declared A Pandemic

This is what she had to say at a press event on Feb. 11:

"We absolutely assume that the reported cases are underestimated. The early exportation of the virus to a number of countries was used by mathematical modelers to estimate what the total cases must be."

The CDC is not alone in its suspicion of China’s numbers.

According to a study from Ohio State University, the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak could be more widespread than the Chinese authorities are admitting. These researchers conducted a modeling study that estimated the real infection rate to be five to ten times higher than the official government data.

Edit:

Figures coming out of more recently infected regions paint a much more disturbing picture.

Italy 470 cases, 12 deaths

Japan 172 cases, 3 deaths

Iran 139 cases,19 deaths

Coronavirus Update (Live): 82,166 Cases and 2,804 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What’s the difference ?
Seriously...what is the difference ?

To reiterate what @Yazata said in post #27: for me, the fact that governments are shutting down cities, imposing travel bans, quarantining people en masse', and the fact that the WHO and the CDC are telling us to prepare for the worst is difference enough.

I don't remember ever seeing this sort of reaction to any outbreak before.

Last edited:

Yazata

A propos to that - globally, hundreds of thousands of people die from flu every year.

So why is there global panic in 2020 ?

That's the question.

Two possible answers that I can see:

1. The possibility that this is is a lot worse than the familiar seasonal flu strains, and at least some of world leaders either know it (those in China) or suspect it (those outside). A disease that lingers on for a long time (months?), requiring in many cases (how many?) hospitalization and intensive care treatment. (Hospitals and ICUs will quickly become saturated as we've seen in Wuhan.) Death rates ranging upwards from 10% to ??.

2. It's a mass overreaction verging on panic, promoted in large part by over-zealous Chinese responses (why did they do that?) and by hysterical press coverage in the rest of the world.

It may indeed be the second, but my worry is that it's the first.

Last edited:

Dave Watchman

To reiterate what @Yazata said in post #27: for me, the fact that governments are shutting down cities, imposing travel bans, quarantining people en masse', and the fact that the WHO and the CDC are telling us to prepare for the worst is difference enough.

I don't remember ever seeing this sort of reaction to any outbreak before.

I agree with you Mr Mire.

It's almost too spooky of a deal to speculate on.

I spend all my free time watching it on another forum where the thread is 4000 pages and 5 million views.

A post from a woman this AM:

Anyone else have a minor doom breakdown? I have been following doom for 11 years here.. And always took everything here with a grain of salt just because you never know we're the bs and truth blends sometimes..

But feel in my core this is ****ing it guys.. Not the end.. But the first time real real doom has come upon us...

My children's school have sent emails now about this...

I got word from work they are banning all international travel...

And in my industry that is major....

And considering banning travel in the US... This is f---ing real yall..

I have my preps in order... Just some doom booze n smoke needed and we are set.. But still.. I have small children... My son under ten knows of this already n was crying worried about school closing and not seeing his friends..

Guys... This is real glp... This is the doom we waited for... I don't want to be right anymore... Because right means worst case I have told partner and family is horrid...

Positive vibes yall.. In the states this truly maybe our last weekend of semi normalcy.. If you are prepped enjoy yall...

We are at the top of the roller coaster looking down.... And it's all down hill from here

Covid19/ITALY 889+21 RIP/3 US, SK 3150 P4358/+8 SWISS P4359/UK:SPREADER P4360/IRAN 593+43 RIP P4361/SWE 12-GER 79 P4364/1ST QUATAR+2NL+3DM P4366 - Page 4370

It's one news story after the next.

And right in the middle of it the market is crashing, rumors of Turkey declaring war and a run on toilet paper.

New cases in Oregon and Washington State this AM and a fireman rumor of a possible lock down in N Cali.

N Korea executing three guys for corona issues.

They're saying that a person never really recovers from it.

Some are being re-infected with it.

So it must not be like the Rhino Virus, more like the wart virus HPV.

I'm not worried about the virus itself.

I'm more concerned about the repercussions of the virus.

Will it be the catalyst, for the end time environment of an unfortunate new paradigm.

( I'm a Bible Tard )

Peaceful Sabbath.

Dave Watchman

N Korea executing three guys for corona issues.

North Korea's first confirmed Coronavirus COVID 19 patient shot dead: report
North Korea officially has maintained that there are no cases of novel coronavirus
In what appears to be a rather drastic measure to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19), North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un allegedly sanctioned for the execution of the first North Korean patient tested positive for the deadly strain of the virus.

According to Secret Beijing, an anonymous social media commentator, who terms himself as an analyst on China affairs, the patient was shot dead. The story is still developing and there is still no clarity on the details of the patient executed by North Korea.

Earlier last week, reports had suggested that a North Korean trade official was shot dead for leaving coronavirus quarantine to visit a public bath. According to South Korean media, the victim, who had returned to the country after a visit to China China, was executed for risking the spread of the deadly virus.

north-korean-leader-kim-jong-un-attends-a-grand-military-parade-celebrating-the-70th-founding-anniversary-of-the-north-korean-army.jpg

He has a cool hat.

And a button nose.

And two eyes made out of coal.

Dave Watchman

Are you worried about the Coronavirus outbreak?

They are in Iran.

Ali Arouzi
@aliarouzi

An angry crowd set fire to a clinic in Bandar Abbas, south of #Iran because it had patients in it suffering from #coronavirus.

Some people say the patients were from Qom -very far away- and this had angered the mob. There is a sense of panic. Still hard to believe this happened.

Ali Arouzi on Twitter
a4533cbb-fc9b-4d1d-9587-43c089ff0339_16x9_788x442.jpeg

Watch: Clinic in Iran torched, believed to be coronavirus quarantine

Joanne Serrieh, Al Arabiya English Saturday, 29 February 2020

A clinic in the Iranian city of Bandar Abbas was torched on Friday because some people believed that coronavirus patients from another city were quarantined in it, according to Iranian media reports.

Rumors spread that 10 infected people were transported from the city of Qom, the epicenter of the virus in Iran, to Towhid Clinic, according to social media posts.

Watch: Clinic in Iran torched, believed to be coronavirus quarantine

Dave Watchman

Crazy Gretta might like this one:

Amazing NASA images show how pollution has CLEARED over China as coronavirus crisis has kept everyone indoors

• NASA and European Space Agency have used pollution monitoring satellites to track nitrogen dioxide levels
  • The difference in concentration of nitrogen dioxide is revealed in two maps released by the space agencies
  • Almost no nitrogen dioxide visible after China imposed a lockdown in Wuhan and cities in the Hubei province

Check out the map with the slider bar.

25357350-8059385-image-a-12_1582981956357.jpg

Tom Tom confirms:

(compare the red line with the blue line from 2019)

They are not back to work yet.

Just like the flu?

No flu ever did that before.

Ground control to Major Tom.

Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Even China rests,
On a Peaceful Sabbath.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Coronavirus outbreak edges closer to pandemic

Coronavirus Cases 77,816
Deaths: 2,360
Countries infected: 32
Recovered: 21,038
Currently Infected Patients: 54,418
In Mild Condition: 42,879
In serious/critical condition: 11,539

Coronavirus Update (Live): 77,816 Cases and 2,360 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer
Clearly the business World is frantic.
This is shown by the deepest falls in stocks and shares since 2008, and the highest rise on gold ever.

A good thermometer, for sure.

Dave Watchman

Clearly the business World is frantic.
This is shown by the deepest falls in stocks and shares since 2008, and the highest rise on gold ever.

A good thermometer, for sure.

Wait until Monday.

(@caetuscap)

*WASHINGTON STATE REPORTS FIRST U.S. DEATH FROM CORONAVIRUS

(@ZaidSabah)

BREAKING U.S. Reports first #Coronavirus Death in Washington State: BBG
#COVD19

(@BNODesk)

The death is among multiple new cases of coronavirus in Washington state, according to officials

(@MattSmithKIRO7)

NEW: #coronavirus death in King County. @KIRO7Seattle expecting more information from EvergreenHealth hospital, King County and the Washington State Dept. of Health.

(@realDonaldTrump)

I will be having a 1:30 P.M. Press Conference at the White House to discuss the latest CoronaVirus developments. Thank you!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Wait until Monday.

(@caetuscap)

*WASHINGTON STATE REPORTS FIRST U.S. DEATH FROM CORONAVIRUS

(@ZaidSabah)

BREAKING U.S. Reports first #Coronavirus Death in Washington State: BBG
#COVD19

(@BNODesk)

The death is among multiple new cases of coronavirus in Washington state, according to officials

(@MattSmithKIRO7)

NEW: #coronavirus death in King County. @KIRO7Seattle expecting more information from EvergreenHealth hospital, King County and the Washington State Dept. of Health.

(@realDonaldTrump)

I will be having a 1:30 P.M. Press Conference at the White House to discuss the latest CoronaVirus developments. Thank you!
Sure.
I hope that stocks do not crash any more. We don't want the thirtys back.

Last edited:

Dave Watchman

Sure.
I hope that stocks do not crash any more. We do t want the thirtys back.

No, I hope they don't either.

I shouldn't have said that, wait until Monday.

It's no time for jokes or being flippant.

I think we might be heading into a serious time.

See the posts i did there with the map of China.

When you go to the page on a PC you can move the slider on that map.

That has been that way for too long.

There's a video by George Gammon, two parts, a couple hours long. He's interviewing this guy about the corona virus and demand destruction in the oil market. A contango in the price mechanism.

The tanks in the refineries are all full, so the tankers sit offshore with no place to unload their cargoes. Big floating gas tanks.

It's around 30:20 in:

Then look at this from Zerohedge, while thinking about those satellite pictures of a pollution free China:

"Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars Lost" As Shipping Rates Collapse Due To "Hugely Disruptive" Virus

Covid-19's
effect on the global economy, energy markets, and the shipping industry have been absolutely disastrous, borderline crisis, if not, has already triggered the onset of the next financial crisis.

OPEC slashed its oil demand forecast earlier this month, and Goldman Sachs doubled down on its bearish oil take and has cut its oil price target by $10 to $53 for the year, as a result of a "demand shock" that has collapsed Chinese oil demand by at least 20%, or as much as 4 million barrels per day.

The plunge in energy demand in China, which by the way, is the world's largest oil importer, has stranded oil cargoes off the coast of the country and led to an oil tanker parking lot in Asia Pacific waters.

"Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars Lost" As Shipping Rates Collapse Due To "Hugely Disruptive" Virus

EQ5w1QDXUAAZ-Ia.jpg

It reminds me of Revelation 18:

"And the merchants of the earth weep and mourn for her, since no one buys their cargo anymore, cargoes of gold, silver, jewels, pearls, fine linen, purple cloth, silk, scarlet cloth, all kinds of scented wood, all kinds of articles of ivory, all kinds of articles of costly wood, bronze, iron and marble, cinnamon, spice, incense, myrrh, frankincense, wine, oil, fine flour, wheat, cattle and sheep, horses and chariots, and slaves, that is, human souls.
But what we're really worried about, is what can make that picture happen in Texas and everywhere else around the world.

Enter the dollar collapse.

Commodities are priced in the US Dollar. So there's an inverse relationship to the price action. Oil, corn soybeans, gold, even the RBOB unleaded gasoline contract. If the dollar collapses, all that jazz goes through the roof and our world as we know it is in a bad environment.

Watch this video, starting at 8:56, to know therefore and understand why we NEED China to, not only buy our ten year treasury notes, but to roll over the ones they already have. He does a good job explaining it. This could all come unglued faster than anyone knows.

We Never Know

No Slack
Sure.
I hope that stocks do not crash any more. We do t want the thirtys back.

It came close to that in 2008/2009

Edit...
To explain it was around 13,000 give or take in 2008. By March of 2009 it was around 6300 give or take. Close to a 50% loss.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Correct me if I'm wrong.... Listening to the news this week there were 2 confirmed cases of the corona virus in the U.S., both were in California.
Then today out of the blue someone in Washington State died from it, the first one here in the U.S.
I guess that one went under the radar. Is that an oops moment? I wonder how many more oops moments there will be.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong.... Listening to the news this week there were 2 confirmed cases of the corona virus in the U.S., both were in California.
Then today out of the blue someone in Washington State died from it, the first one here in the U.S.
I guess that one went under the radar. Is that an oops moment? I wonder how many more oops moments there will be.
As of today there are 69 confirmed cases in the US.

I've been posting updates everyday here: Anyone worried about coronavirus?