• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you worried about the Coronavirus outbreak

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Now that I'm more of less prepared for any disruption in the infrastructure a pandemic might cause, I'm more fascinated than concerned.

Personally, I think the human race is due for a collective wake up call, and this could be it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nope. I still can't do anything about it, and I have more important things than to fret over a bug that might make me really sick but very likely won't kill me. I have things to do, and if things haven't taken a very dire turn for the worst by now I doubt it does.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Now that I'm more of less prepared for any disruption in the infrastructure a pandemic might cause, I'm more fascinated than concerned.

Personally, I think the human race is due for a collective wake up call, and this could be it.
Along with the Australia mega fires, the hot weather in Antarctica and other events.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Along with the Australia mega fires, the hot weather in Antarctica and other events.
Sadly, America has its head so far its *** that it will take something very serious and dire to change things here. And do consider, unfortunately, the gun problem in America is not considering serious or dire enough. Short of a civil war or epidemic--either that are very fatal and leave many dead--I'm not sure if anything will change America.
As for N-CoV, it shows both not only how notoriously difficult it is to contain a disease, but also how so far we have come along in disease management since the days when the bubonic plague ravaged and devastated populations throughout the Old World. Sure, it still spread, but it could have been so much worse had we not gained the centuries of trial and error and vast gains in knowledge of illness and wellness.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Sadly, America has its head so far its *** that it will take something very serious and dire to change things here. And do consider, unfortunately, the gun problem in America is not considering serious or dire enough. Short of a civil war or epidemic--either that are very fatal and leave many dead--I'm not sure if anything will change America.
As for N-CV, it shows both not only how notoriously difficult it is to contain a disease, but also how so far we have come along in disease management since the days when the bubonic plague ravaged and devastated populations throughout the Old World. Sure, it still spread, but it could have been so much worse had we not gained the centuries of trial and error and vast gains in knowledge of illness and wellness.

The coronavirus is actually a common virus. The one we are dealing with now is new to us.

Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.

Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people.

Coronavirus

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
People have chained themselves to the mast of a sinking ship and they'll blame everyone but themselves as they disappear beneath the waves.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but since you can't catch any of those things from a doorknob they're somewhat easier to ignore.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn’t keep me up at night or anything. Though of all years to travel towards the China area geographically for a holiday, I had to choose this year lol

Eh. Probably have the vaccine up and running by then. Hopefully.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Coronavirus outbreak edges closer to pandemic

Coronavirus Cases 77,816
Deaths: 2,360
Countries infected: 32
Recovered: 21,038
Currently Infected Patients: 54,418
In Mild Condition: 42,879
In serious/critical condition: 11,539

Coronavirus Update (Live): 77,816 Cases and 2,360 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

To answer the question in the title, I don't see how worrying will have any impact on controlling it or preventing my contracting it.

I think being vigilant and prepared rather than worried would by far more productive.

Prevention
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
    • CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
    • Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
    • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
For information about handwashing, see CDC’s Handwashing website

For information specific to healthcare, see CDC’s Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings

These are everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses. CDC does have specific guidance for travelers.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's also the novel effect going on where the new is emphasized but the ordinary is ignored:

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 29 million flu illnesses, 280,000 hospitalizations and 16,000 deaths from flu.

In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
There's also the novel effect going on where the new is emphasized but the ordinary is ignored:

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 29 million flu illnesses, 280,000 hospitalizations and 16,000 deaths from flu.

In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes...
Mainly because when something like this is new we don't know what it's going to turn into yet.

We know the flu is bad, but we know more or less how bad.

We know people die from auto accidents, but we can predict with some degree of certainty how many people will be killed in a given period of time.

This new virus is still a wild card.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Mainly because when something like this is new we don't know what it's going to turn into yet.

We know the flu is bad, but we know more or less how bad.

We know people die from auto accidents, but we can predict with some degree of certainty how many people will be killed in a given period of time.

This new virus is still a wild card.
We know that many who get the virus show no symptoms. And if you believe the numbers, we know what the rough death toll is so far:

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Which is one if the things that makes it so dangerous: someone can walk around for weeks spreading the virus without even knowing get have it.
That describes numerous viral infections. Sure, it's a risk, but it is nevertheless a risk we assume on a daily basis.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
That describes numerous viral infections. Sure, it's a risk, but it is nevertheless a risk we assume on a daily basis.

I don't believe I've ever heard of any major cities going into lock down over the measles.

Italy put 12 towns on coronavirus lockdown after 215 cases and 5 deaths made it the most infected country outside Asia

China's Death Toll Rises, 17 Cities on Lockdown for Coronavirus - 9 & 10 News

Officials Scramble To Contain Coronavirus Outbreaks In South Korea, Iran And Italy

South Korea raises national threat level to "red alert"

Facing the highest number of coronavirus cases outside China, officials in South Korea have taken emergency steps that will allow the lockdown of affected cities and can restrict travel within the country.

The rest of the world seems to be taking this pretty seriously, much more so than any health threat I've ever heard of.

We Never Know

No Slack
I don't believe I've ever heard of any major cities going into lock down over the measles.

Italy put 12 towns on coronavirus lockdown after 215 cases and 5 deaths made it the most infected country outside Asia

China's Death Toll Rises, 17 Cities on Lockdown for Coronavirus - 9 & 10 News

Officials Scramble To Contain Coronavirus Outbreaks In South Korea, Iran And Italy

The rest of the world seems to be taking this pretty seriously, much more so than any health threat I've ever heard of.

Everyone took the word "worry" in my post as "worry about self".
As you said look how cities are locking down, check the stock market falling over 1000 points today, companies getting in a bind, etc. Here comes the worry I was referring to.